Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #43
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
There's no reason to run high octane fuel if your car is stock. Run what the manufacturer states. Pretty sure its 87 octane in the states. More important is to run a top tier fuel. They have detergents to help reduce carbon build up. It is not a bad idea to run a fuel treatment every few fill ups but i think it's redundant if your are running a top tier fuel. Mobil, sunoco ect

Thanks man. Manual states to use regular unleaded octane 87 "or higher", so I'm not sure if that includes mid-grade (89) or not.
I purchase my gas from Kroger (I'll have to call to determine the gas vendor for this store) and a local Shell. On the highway I try to stick with Shell and Marathon where available.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:55 AM   #44
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
I know it is beaten to death all around, but when I owned my LFX camaro, and logged while using HPTuners and monitoring how it reacted to different octane fuels, you should 100% be using 93 octane in the LFX.

You do not need to worry about fuel injector cleaners if you use a high-quality gas. The most I'll do is run a can of seafoam every spring when the stations switch from their winter blends to help get out any moisture or anything that might have accumulated through the winter, but I dont' think you even have that issue.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #45
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
I know it is beaten to death all around, but when I owned my LFX camaro, and logged while using HPTuners and monitoring how it reacted to different octane fuels, you should 100% be using 93 octane in the LFX.

You do not need to worry about fuel injector cleaners if you use a high-quality gas. The most I'll do is run a can of seafoam every spring when the stations switch from their winter blends to help get out any moisture or anything that might have accumulated through the winter, but I dont' think you even have that issue.
If you were data logging using hp tuners were you running a HP tune?
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #46
ChibiBlackSheep

Quote:
If you were data logging using hp tuners were you running a HP tune?
Data logged my stock tune while I first had the car. Waited until my bumper-to-bumper warranty was up and worked with Overkill on my tune later on.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #47
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
you should 100% be using 93 octane in the LFX.

I have the stock engine, though. Haven't touched it at all; even the stock air intake. Well, I added a catch can, but that won't affect anything. From what I'm reading, octane for the LFX seems to be contingent upon your mods.

I'm not a mechanic, but that's the advice I keep getting from them. Once I run this tank of 91 out, I'll switch over to 89 and think about putting some fuel treatment in there every 1k miles or so just for kicks.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:03 AM   #48
ChibiBlackSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
I have the stock engine, though. Haven't touched it at all; even the stock air intake. Well, I added a catch can, but that won't affect anything. From what I'm reading, octane for the LFX seems to be contingent upon your mods.

I'm not a mechanic, but that's the advice I keep getting from them. Once I run this tank of 91 out, I'll switch over to 89 and think about putting some fuel treatment in there every 1k miles or so just for kicks.
The car has 2 timing tables built into the stock tune, high-octane and low-octane. If it detects knock, it will drop into the low-octane timing table, and if it still detects knock, it will continue to pull timing until the car doesn't detect the knock.

When I was data-logging my LFX, unless I was using 93 octane, the car was constantly knocking and pulling timing. A lot of the cells in the low-octane table were even in the negative timing. The car just doesn't look like it's running well on low-octane at all. Yes the table is there for you to run regular fuel, and you probably won't notice too much in normal driving without datalogs, but the car handles the higher octane so much better.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #49
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I Knew they had different tables on the SS, I did not know they had different tables for the V6 models. If that is the case and there is a separate table for 93 (or usually its 91 since its more available) octane then for sure it can be run with 93 and it will run better than on 87. Now if there is a table for 87 it should also run just fine on the 87 it will just have less advanced timing. I have a 2015 Ram with a diablosport tune. I can run it on 93 with the 93 tune and it has a little more power, I run it on the 87 tune though since I don't feel the extra performance is worth the extra fuel cost on my truck and it runs just fine on 87. I did the tune more for the transmissions torque management on my truck.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #50
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
I just had a thought about this octane discussion.

First, let me state, I don't drive my car "hard" but I don't "baby" it either.

I ran 93 octane in it for 6 months starting right before CamaroFest 7. First 6 months I owned the car I put 93 in it then dropped to 87 until Camarofest. Did a mileage study for both 6 month periods and the difference was about 3/10s of an MPG. Been running 87 in it ever since Jan 1 2018.

My thought stems from a recent trip to NM, where the elevation is over 2K' and where I normally drive is a bit north of 500'. Car ran weak as hell in NM. Could it be the 87 tune is boogered up as if it is running at very high altitude, all the time? Admittedly, I know very little about tuning these cars so will defer to more knowledgeable members.

Still haven't decided which process to use to clean the intake on my car. Been reading good and bad things about chemical vs walnut methods for 4 years now. May just have to trust my mechanic to do whichever his preferred method is and do it well.

Hey Chibiblacksheep, Do you know if Overkill is still doing tunes for the 5th gen LFX? I got about another year to wait before I can install a custom tune but it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and get the tuner for logging.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #51
ChibiBlackSheep

Quote:
Now if there is a table for 87 it should also run just fine on the 87 it will just have less advanced timing.
The table is there, but IMO it's not a good table at all. Attached to this reply I'll post both the low and high octane tables from when I owned a 2013 LFX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
Still haven't decided which process to use to clean the intake on my car. Been reading good and bad things about chemical vs walnut methods for 4 years now. May just have to trust my mechanic to do whichever his preferred method is and do it well.
I would do walnut if the build-up is bad. I tried chemical and even with 2 full cans of the stuff it barely made a dent (and I even ran a catch-can).

Quote:
Hey Chibiblacksheep, Do you know if Overkill is still doing tunes for the 5th gen LFX? I got about another year to wait before I can install a custom tune but it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and get the tuner for logging.
You'd have to talk to him. I believe he's still in the LFX game, since he does the supercharger, but he can be tough to get a hold of. I own my HPTuners, so I didn't buy his handheld, I just paid him for his time to chat about a base tune and take a peek at some logs with me.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #52
Dragonman

Not that I really know what I'm looking at but, that chart for the low octane really goes deep in the RPM range for negative numbers compared to the high.

I always check if the station I fill up at uses Top Tier and according the research I did a few years ago, Shell is certified Top Tier and they are in cahoots with the stations at Kroger, which is where I usually fuel up, with the points from grocery shopping. Yeah, maybe TMI there.

Think I'll switch my gauges over to display knock counts and such and then switch to 93 after the 1st and have a look. I'll have to look and see if my gauges have an air mass reading to compare as well.

Thanks for the info Chibi.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #53
ChibiBlackSheep

Quote:
Think I'll switch my gauges over to display knock counts and such and then switch to 93 after the 1st and have a look. I'll have to look and see if my gauges have an air mass reading to compare as well.

Thanks for the info Chibi.
It will take some time for the car to go back into the high-octane table. It doesn't know what octane you are putting in, it will need to run knock-free and then slowly decide to try cells from the high-octane table and see where the car stands before it fully switches back over to the high-octane table.

I would fill up with 93, and then pull the battery cable for the night to reset fuel trims. I don't BELIEVE the LFX works with the fuse pull trick, but I could be wrong. I always just used my HPTuners to reset trims manually.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #54
Dragonman

Quote:
It will take some time for the car to go back into the high-octane table. It doesn't know what octane you are putting in, it will need to run knock-free and then slowly decide to try cells from the high-octane table and see where the car stands before it fully switches back over to the high-octane table.

I would fill up with 93, and then pull the battery cable for the night to reset fuel trims. I don't BELIEVE the LFX works with the fuse pull trick, but I could be wrong. I always just used my HPTuners to reset trims manually.
I don't think it works that way (fuse pull) either. I'll record the numbers on the drive home tonight and then keep an eye on them over the next 6 months to see if they change. Just gonna have to suck it up on the .30 increase per gallon on the 93. Gotta look at my gauge manual to see if they read anything related to cylinder air mass.