Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-31-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
ArminSinghPNW

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Zl1 1le oil consumption

Hey guys I haveabout 6,000 mi on my zl11le. After an oil change I ran about athousand miles in my oil level will be non-existent on the dipstick. I've had the car for about a year and a half now don't run it that hard at all. Should I be concerned? I figured motor still breaking in maybe but it just too much. Thanks for any help.
Attached Images

ArminSinghPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:20 PM   #2
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I would dang sure say that is to much. I would be concerned to say the least. You probably need to jump over to the Camaro 6 gen section and ask some of those guys if they are having the same problem. This is the 5th gen side.Good luck
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:41 PM   #3
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArminSinghPNW View Post
Hey guys I haveabout 6,000 mi on my zl11le. After an oil change I ran about athousand miles in my oil level will be non-existent on the dipstick. I've had the car for about a year and a half now don't run it that hard at all. Should I be concerned? I figured motor still breaking in maybe but it just too much. Thanks for any help.
Who did the oil change? Did they/you check a day or two after the oil change to make sure it was at level.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:39 PM   #4
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
First I would make sure I wasn't making a mistake.
Clean oil might be hard to see on the dip stick. See if a friend who is good at that can help you. Wipe it very clean and try a few times. Also make sure it is seated fully when you push it in to check it.
The damage would already have been done, so if it didn't stop or make noises I'd start it up and see if the oil presure was ok on the guage and if there were any yellow dash warning lights. I didn't say rev it up high or drive it yet.

Then, it depends on who did the oil change.
A non GM place won't do anything for you 1000mi later so I wouldn't even bother, it would just make you angry.
If it was done at the dealer, and you are SURE it is very very low on oil. I would coordinate with the service advisor to have it TOWED on a flatbed to the dealer. Say the oil was changed there and now it is extremely low. Either it wasn't refilled properly or there is a warranty covered problem. So later if the engine is totally broken and they tear it down and say it was a low oil problem you won't be at fault and it's covered under warranty.
If it is extremely low and it was changed by dumb and dumber oil place, I'd fill it to the proper level and just drive it as you would and check it weekly, also look under where it's parked to be sure it doesn't have a big leak.
If the engine fails later I would not bring up the event when you have chevy warranty it. I personally would trade in the car before the warranty runs out if it were me. I wouldn't want to risk engine failure on my own $.
Just to be clear either fill it or tow it before it goes anywhere.

When I have my oil changed it's good to make sure there are no yellow dash lights for low oil pressure and if you have a guage it's normal. As soon as you get home check it to make sure. If you had no warnings at the change place it isn't likely to do damage as you carefully drive home if it was low or overfilled.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:32 AM   #5
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Who did the oil change? Did they/you check a day or two after the oil change to make sure it was at level.
I asked because many don’t pre fill their filter which would put you below the hash mark on the dip stick after start.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I would start with a fresh oil change, checking the dipstick to verify it's at it's proper mark afterwards.
From there, check the oil level once a week and see if the level changes and by how much or if the level stays the same.

That should allow you to tell if it is indeed consuming oil or not.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote