Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #43
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Good dialogue raised by all. You all have some truths in there but in the end, there are more than one path to success as NorCal ZL1 explained. I favor the lower weight of normally aspirated myself.

I still think the Z/28 is your best choice. My friend bought a brand new one for $57K when GM had a fire sale on them, so I'm sure you could find one lighly used for less than that. I do believe it would be good to go, with a warranty, right out of the box. For a serious track / hill climb car I would add the safety stuff (roll bar, seat, harness) now but wait until warranty expires to do the longtube headers and tune.

Regarding cost, I wouldn't worry about the tires. Replace them with whatever you want, when the time comes. You're going to be replacing them often if you want to be competitive and have a safe tire that is not heat-cycled to the point of being dangerously hard and low on grip.

Good point on the cost of carbon ceramic brakes, although I'm still trying to figure that one out myself. Ron Fellows Corvette School said that they didn't replace the ZR1's CCB rotors or pads for the entire 15,000 track miles that they kept them. They sell them at 15,000 miles, and remember these are hard-driven track miles. For steel brakes, you are replacing the pads, turning the rotors and sometimes replacing the rotors much more often. I'd like to see the longterm cost comparo between the two, although I suspect you are right that CCBs are more expensive. However, I had to put a 6-piston big brake kit on my Camaro as the 4-pistons were not up to the task for some extreme tracks. I ran slicks and big aero, so I was taxing the brakes more than most.
I was bummed when you let your 1le go, I loved that car. By far the best built one I have ever seen. Now that would be the buy of the century as it was sorted from all angles. I remember when it was at Tracklogic getting the cage installed, I had time to really check it out. Great build. Last time I saw you you were running the Viper at T/hill. Have you take your new ride there yet. Shoot me a PM if your racing in the area, I would love to come out and watch.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #44
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
I was bummed when you let your 1le go, I loved that car. By far the best built one I have ever seen. Now that would be the buy of the century as it was sorted from all angles. I remember when it was at Tracklogic getting the cage installed, I had time to really check it out. Great build. Last time I saw you you were running the Viper at T/hill. Have you take your new ride there yet. Shoot me a PM if your racing in the area, I would love to come out and watch.
Thanks Todd, appreciate it! I really miss that car, you have no idea. I am now racing a Mustang that is not in the same league as the Camaro. The Camaro is more in the league of the Viper, which is quite a statement. I was at Laguna Seca recently getting coached by Thomas Merrill, a top notch racer and coach that was hired by GM to do a special event with a Z/28, a C7 Z06 and a CTS-V. Guess what his favorite was? The Z/28, even over the Z06. He said that the Z/28 was remarkably good handling and could go all day. He didn't elaborate as to why he didn't favor the Z06, but I suspect it has something to do with it only being good for a few laps before the oil and water temps are in the danger zone and limp mode.

I will be racing the Mustang at the SCCA event at T-hill 10/24-1025, let me know if you can swing by to say hi. I'm pretty busy on race days but maybe we can grab lunch or something.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #45
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Thanks Todd, appreciate it! I really miss that car, you have no idea. I am now racing a Mustang that is not in the same league as the Camaro. The Camaro is more in the league of the Viper, which is quite a statement. I was at Laguna Seca recently getting coached by Thomas Merrill, a top notch racer and coach that was hired by GM to do a special event with a Z/28, a C7 Z06 and a CTS-V. Guess what his favorite was? The Z/28, even over the Z06. He said that the Z/28 was remarkably good handling and could go all day. He didn't elaborate as to why he didn't favor the Z06, but I suspect it has something to do with it only being good for a few laps before the oil and water temps are in the danger zone and limp mode.

I will be racing the Mustang at the SCCA event at T-hill 10/24-1025, let me know if you can swing by to say hi. I'm pretty busy on race days but maybe we can grab lunch or something.
Great I will mark that date, and I am elated that you are having a run with the Mustang. I wish you all the successes that are coming your way. I have been insanely busy at work, so a day off at the track will be a welcomed relief, even if I am not driving. Do you have crew??
Old 08-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #46
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
All of those points are valid, but I can't agree on the price. A decent motor built to last is going to take up most of that budget, and your going to want a builder who stands behind his work. Many dont when things go wrong. Those builders that do, have a premium.. OC1le has some experience there that got ugly for a bit when hus tune was off, and the builder blamed him. Another 10K down the drain for a new block and assy using what was salvageable.

The Z will leap frog the performance of your build as soon as you throw a couple of grand into pullies and such. Throw 15K at it and the 1LE will never catch it without turning into a track dedicated car with lots of cost for upkeep.

A maximum build of a 1Le will not match the max build of a ZL1, just as ZL1 maxed out will never match a maxed out Zo6 for different reasons.

Its all about what you want to start and end up and there is no wrong choice. For that matter there are much better cars to enter the world of motorsports than the Camaro.
If I were to choose an Autocross car, the ZL1 is not going to be it, it is just too big in general for most courses catering to smaller cars so I don't bother. My opinion is I want a great car that is not going to break no matter how I use it, I'll take the 300 pound disadvantage and work past it.

You don't have to talk down to me like I am some idiot. I have been involved in motorsports for about 30 years in building and set up aspects so I fully undersatnd many things about weight and how to manage it. I also know how costs run and it is always more. Take OC1LE's build it was at the threshold of choosing a different platform becomming more logical from a cost and headroom, and reliability standpoint. Choosing a jump off point is crucial. If the OP chooses the 1le that is great. I think it is a fantastic car.

BTW what were your last tire pyrometer readings?
X2

I do AutoX and HPDE my ZL1 and have a great time doing it. The part that most people seem to forget is that 99% of us weekend warriors will NEVER push these cars to their limits where 300# will make a hill of beans difference. Ask me how I know because I went to a National event this Summer with the SCCA AutoX and got my ass handed to me. The ZL is just an obvious choice for a multi purpose car and at the end of it the times clearly show on a stock for stock basis the ZL gets around the track faster. I know everyone throws up the when I mod my car BS but then I'll mod my Z and we are back to square one. Fact is I've been picking up a few parts here and there on special and I'll have a 750'ish HP package in the spring along with a 1.5" drop and some caster/camber kits and I'll be playing with a whole different monster. In fact I just may go try out our own local hill climb at Knoxs Mountauand get back to you on it.

Have fun no matter what you buy because none of us are getting picked up by any racing teams soon to race full time for a living.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #47
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I pushed mine to the limit, and im here to say, these 1LE's rock
Old 08-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #48
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Great I will mark that date, and I am elated that you are having a run with the Mustang. I wish you all the successes that are coming your way. I have been insanely busy at work, so a day off at the track will be a welcomed relief, even if I am not driving. Do you have crew??
Great. Yes, sponsored by Borelli Motorsports. They have mechanics on site, whom do my tire swaps and fuel the car. We are pretty easy to find, a big hauler with a bunch of Borelli flags and awnings. Usually 5 or 6 Mustangs are paddocked with Borelli.
Attached Images

Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #49
Nor Cal ZL1

Wow Todd that is awesome. I was going to offer up my services if you need them, but that is all covered, and then some. Very cool. I'll come out and check it out for sure. We will do lunch if you have the time. Take care.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #50
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
Quote:
Great. Yes, sponsored by Borelli Motorsports. They have mechanics on site, whom do my tire swaps and fuel the car. We are pretty easy to find, a big hauler with a bunch of Borelli flags and awnings. Usually 5 or 6 Mustangs are paddocked with Borelli.
Funny, I'm actually going down to New Orleans in about two weeks to do a story on the Mustang Experience, which use those same Track Prepped Mustangs. Looking forward to it.
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote