Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 09-04-2015, 09:11 AM   #183
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
I listed it in my how-to: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381050

50-948-7612 Setrab 48 row Series 9 oil cooler

I got it from improved racing. You'll see the link if you search the part number on Google.
That's what I thought, but in their picture the inlet/outlet ports look to be in a different location than yours

http://www.improvedracing.com/setrab...ler-p-236.html
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #184
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
That's what I thought, but in their picture the inlet/outlet ports look to be in a different location than yours

http://www.improvedracing.com/setrab...ler-p-236.html
Yep, that's the one. You can find it for a bit cheaper on eBay if I recall correctly.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:23 AM   #185
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I'd not cut the beam; period. We talked about installing in series vs. parallel, and I think the current examples so far have been in series. If I were to switch, I'd definitely do in parallel, but that might reduce the effectiveness of individual cores (since the flow will be split), but I have no idea if that would have a significant impact.
Half the flow per unit means half the flow velocity and a quarter of the pressure drop. Although that would then result in slightly more flow and velocity, the time in a core would stay pretty close to the same. We'd have to know something about the film coefficient of oil vs velocity to carry this much further, and I don't know if I saved enough of my work notes from working thermal transient problems with water and steam to even make a guess.

I *might* consider re-shaping the bottom of that beam locally (and adding a little structural compensation) to "encourage" some of the air to impinge upon the topmost fins of the cores. If I thought the alloy was weldable and if I could find somebody to do that for me (don't think I'd want to tackle welding any HSLA steel myself)

Norm
Old 09-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #186
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Yep, that's the one. You can find it for a bit cheaper on eBay if I recall correctly.
Got it, thanks.

The one concern I have is unlike (most of) you guys, I'm running a ZL1 so I've got a nice big ole intercooler in front of my radiator so I'm thinking it isn't a good idea to have an oil cooler AND intercooler blocking the radiator. But I don't know?

The only other option is to put an oil cooler below my passanger side headlight and take out one of the fog lights as a "ram air" effect into the cooler.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #187
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Got it, thanks.

The one concern I have is unlike (most of) you guys, I'm running a ZL1 so I've got a nice big ole intercooler in front of my radiator so I'm thinking it isn't a good idea to have an oil cooler AND intercooler blocking the radiator. But I don't know?

The only other option is to put an oil cooler below my passanger side headlight and take out one of the fog lights as a "ram air" effect into the cooler.
Because you have the ZL-1 6-piston brakes, which could stop a Mack Truck without overheating, I would go with my dual oil cooler set up, placed in the high pressure regions in the lower left and right grille areas, as I did. You are running similar HP and torque as my car, which ran cool as a cucumber with this set up. You can run brake cooling ducts to the fog light holes, which are not as high pressure nor effective as the lower left and right grille, but good enough to cool massive 6-piston Brembos.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410224
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 09-04-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #188
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Well I ran Mobil 1 5W30 in my car with great results considering the temps. Hottest I saw was 246 coolant and 300 oil (calculated). Bottom line, she was hot. The oil held up well and when I disassembled the motor the wear was almost non-existent even considering the failure.

I'm moving to Valvoline VR-1 20W50 for track duty on the new motor on the recommendation from ERL but it will be a track only oil change. Going to be pricey but the motor was not cheap so by comparison the oil changes are cheap insurance.
Attached Images

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #189
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Because you have the ZL-1 6-piston brakes, which could stop a Mack Truck without overheating, I would go with my dual oil cooler set up, placed in the high pressure regions in the lower left and right grille areas, as I did. You are running similar HP and torque as my car, which ran cool as a cucumber with this set up. You can run brake cooling ducts to the fog light holes, which are not as high pressure nor effective as the lower left and right grille, but good enough to cool massive 6-piston Brembos.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410224
Yes I've looked over your build while looking at all options. It appears for my ZL1 your set up is going to be the best. My biggest fear is oil pressure drops with that set up. However, I saw you mention that you seem to recall no pressure loss issues.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #190
STONE SS

Drives: 2010 SS IOM
Quote:
Yes I've looked over your build while looking at all options. It appears for my ZL1 your set up is going to be the best. My biggest fear is oil pressure drops with that set up. However, I saw you mention that you seem to recall no pressure loss issues.
What kind of temps are you seeing so far?
STONE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:57 PM   #191
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONE SS View Post
What kind of temps are you seeing so far?
290-300 per the analog gauge. My understanding is the digital display on the DIC isn't accurate but the analog gauge is. However the analog gauge is hard to read an exact number. Once I finally get around to installing an oil cooler set up, I'll be sure to have a more precise temp gauge installed.

Last track event was at NCM during Camaro Fest and with the rain it really cooled things down so temps weren't an issue, plus I was running very conservative. The event I ran before that was in Houston heat at a local track. Ambient temps were in the high 90's, I pretty much sent the car into a limp mode because coolant temps were nearly maxed out. Shame on me for not keeping a better eye on this. Thankfully no damage, and all of my oil analysis reports have come back OK, even with oil temps hitting or exceeding 300.

I have since changed my thermostat and the coolant to Engine Ice. I think I'll be OK with temps, my next track event is in November and temps will be reasonable by then, however I need to address this prior to next summer.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #192
STONE SS

Quote:
290-300 per the analog gauge. My understanding is the digital display on the DIC isn't accurate but the analog gauge is. However the analog gauge is hard to read an exact number. Once I finally get around to installing an oil cooler set up, I'll be sure to have a more precise temp gauge installed.

Last track event was at NCM during Camaro Fest and with the rain it really cooled things down so temps weren't an issue, plus I was running very conservative. The event I ran before that was in Houston heat at a local track. Ambient temps were in the high 90's, I pretty much sent the car into a limp mode because coolant temps were nearly maxed out. Shame on me for not keeping a better eye on this. Thankfully no damage, and all of my oil analysis reports have come back OK, even with oil temps hitting or exceeding 300.

I have since changed my thermostat and the coolant to Engine Ice. I think I'll be OK with temps, my next track event is in November and temps will be reasonable by then, however I need to address this prior to next summer.
I had pretty similar results last time I was at TWS in July, but was with the calculated OEM gauge. I have an aftermarket gauge now so I will see what I hit at TWS in Oct. Didn't hit high numbers at all at NCM even during that 1 dry session we had. When you get an aftermarket gauge you might want to check out the Baron Concepts pods. I looked at a lot of options and it was the best I could find. I did the 2 gauge pod with water and oil temp, but they have a 3 gauge one also.

http://www.phastekperformance.com/category-s/1287.htm
Old 09-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #193
STONE SS

Here is what mine looks like installed...

Old 09-04-2015, 02:38 PM   #194
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

That's a possibility but I would prefer a digital display, that way at a quick glance (on track) I can see the number easily as compared to an analog gauge.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #195
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Put it all on a programmable digital dash. i.e. RaceTechnology DASH 4.

https://www.race-technology.com/dash4_pro_2_31014.html
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #196
STONE SS

Quote:
That's a possibility but I would prefer a digital display, that way at a quick glance (on track) I can see the number easily as compared to an analog gauge.
You can use whatever 52mm gauges you want so you can do digital ones if you want. I was just referring to the pod.