Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #1
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
Anyone used a ZL1 or 1LE for a hillclimb event?

As stated I'm looking for some feedback on the ZL1 or 1LE as a hillclimb car. I was originally leaning towards a 1LE as I plan on doing track days and some autocrossing as well as Hillclimbs. I thought the forced induction of the ZL1 might be advantageous on the Hillclimbs. Plus slightly easier to get more power out of in the future.

Any feedback on track use with either car, especially if you have driven both would be greatly appreciated.

The extra weight of the ZL1 is a big deterrent.

Last edited by Iron Oak; 08-17-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #2
Iron Oak

Anyone?
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
hillclimb event?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
Z Beast

Drives: 2014 Z/28 Ashen Grey Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
hillclimb event?
https://www.virginiacityhillclimb.com/?page_id=2

"The walls are white, the track is grey, the grass is green, and the sky is blue... your job is to keep them all where they belong." - Johnny Rutherford
Z Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
Z Beast

Drives: 2014 Z/28 Ashen Grey Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Oak View Post
As stated I'm looking for some feedback on the ZL1 or 1LE as a hillclimb car. I was originally leaning towards a 1LE as I plan on doing track days and some autocrossing as well as Hillclimbs. I thought the forced induction of the ZL1 might be advantageous on the Hillclimbs. Plus slightly easier to get more power out of in the future.

Any feedback on track use with either car, especially if you have driven both would be greatly appreciated.

The extra weight of the ZL1 is a big deterrent.
I think forced induction would be the way to go, the cam is
What's going to make you or break you your going to want one with a smooth torque curve...so you don't fly off a curve.

"The walls are white, the track is grey, the grass is green, and the sky is blue... your job is to keep them all where they belong." - Johnny Rutherford
Z Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Judging by the track layout, you are definitely going to need the zl1. If you can get your hands on the z/28 then that would be better.
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
Iron Oak

Here is a link to the hillclimbs I will mostly be going to. Located in Vermont and New Hampshire for the most part.

http://www.hillclimb.org/events/event_ascutney.html

The operating costs of a Z/28 are not ideal for me. Not to mention the upfront costs.

Primarily, I will be using this on a road course. Occasionally a autocross and I would like to do at least 2-3 hillclimbs a year.

I really like the 1LE, its lighter, less expensive and I can get decent power gains with simple bolt ons and a cam. Not to mention the outright excellent handling it exhibits.

BUT

Like stated, the ZL1, with its supercharger, would make up for any power loss I would lose on a hillclimb due to elevation changes and would still be fun on a road course. I just wonder how much weight I can shave from it. And who has the better turn in for corners?
Old 08-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
As i watched a couple of the videos, my thought was my 1LE would do just fine
Old 08-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
Iron Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
As i watched a couple of the videos, my thought was my 1LE would do just fine
👍👍

I really do like the thought of the 1LE. I figure if I can get 500-525rwhp that should be more than sufficient. Due to it being less weight
Old 08-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #10
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
👍👍

I really do like the thought of the 1LE. I figure if I can get 500-525rwhp that should be more than sufficient. Due to it being less weight
To your original question. Yes.
1LE with that power level so easily obtainable.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:00 PM   #11
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
FYI, you'll lose power with elevation on both supercharged and NA cars, and the amount of loss will actually be more with the supercharger (since you're compressing less dense air and the rate of air mass loss is obviously multiplied by the rate of compression).

What you want is a turbocharged car. Such a car would detect the loss of boost, and would respond by increasing waste gate duty cycles, thereby overworking the turbocharger(s). A supercharger would always work the same amount, dictated by the belt setup.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #12
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
FYI, you'll lose power with elevation on both supercharged and NA cars, and the amount of loss will actually be more with the supercharger (since you're compressing less dense air and the rate of air mass loss is obviously multiplied by the rate of compression).

What you want is a turbocharged car. Such a car would detect the loss of boost, and would respond by increasing waste gate duty cycles, thereby overworking the turbocharger(s). A supercharger would always work the same amount, dictated by the belt setup.
I disagree respectfully.....
The supercharged motor Will produce more air at altitude than a NA intake system.
2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:20 PM   #13
Iron Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark72 View Post
I disagree respectfully.....
The supercharged motor Will produce more air at altitude than a NA intake system.
I agree. Forced induction is forced induction. Whether it's the expansion of exhaust gases with a turbo or belt driven with a supercharger. They both do the same thing, compress ambient air to be more effiencient and cram more air into the intake than a naturally aspirated engine.

Last edited by Iron Oak; 08-20-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #14
FASTDIESEL

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SLP Cosmetics
Quote:
I agree.
Most certainly. The increased PSI in the intake will compensate for the lack of O2 at higher altitudes.

But, yes, a turbocharger would be even better, but that was not the OP's question.
13.244 @ 104.91 100% stock (#17).
Now - Mike Norris catch can. 245/50/19 Firestone Wingfoot A/S on LT2 black powder coated rims (square). 1 7/8" Speed-Engineering LTH, off road pipes, tune.
Now 12.93 @ 109.13.
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote