Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-31-2017, 09:38 AM   #1
HyperBlue2SS

Drives: 2017 Garnet Red 2SS M6
Strange noise / Not sure where to start

I was on my way home from work the other night and after a few minutes a crazy noise stated to emanate from the car. It was fairly loud inside and seemed to have started after shifting into second gear, it is an M6. It didn't stop until I got to a stop at a red light and had the clutch in. When the light greened and I let the clutch out to start going the noise immediately came back until I got to third gear and I haven't heard it since. Would anyone know where to start? Forgive the vertical video, easiest way to hold the phone and cruise.

https://youtu.be/7Zt9mP21fp0
HyperBlue2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Loose heat shield perhaps?
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
HyperBlue2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Loose heat shield perhaps?
Never crossed my mind. I'll have to give that a look. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I suspect a pressure plate or throwout bearing problem. Maybe one of the tines broke on the pressure plate. How does the sound vary with clutch pedal engagement and how does engagement feel?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I suspect a pressure plate or throwout bearing problem. Maybe one of the tines broke on the pressure plate. How does the sound vary with clutch pedal engagement and how does engagement feel?
+1 when you push the clutch in it pulls the throwout bearing away from the pressure plate. when you let the clutch out it pushes the throwout bearing against the pressure plate which engages the clutch and then the throwout bearing begins to spin at the same rate as the flywheel and if the bearing is bad in the throwout bearing it will make that noise

damage to the pressure plate could also cause the outer race of the throwout bearing to rub the pressure plate fingers as the clutch is engaged and the system is spinning as ctrlz has suggested
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:38 PM   #6
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
+1 when you push the clutch in it pulls the throwout bearing away from the pressure plate. when you let the clutch out it pushes the throwout bearing against the pressure plate.
You've got this backwards.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:28 PM   #7
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
Quote:
+1 when you push the clutch in it pulls the throwout bearing away from the pressure plate. when you let the clutch out it pushes the throwout bearing against the pressure plate which engages the clutch and then the throwout bearing begins to spin at the same rate as the flywheel and if the bearing is bad in the throwout bearing it will make that noise

damage to the pressure plate could also cause the outer race of the throwout bearing to rub the pressure plate fingers as the clutch is engaged and the system is spinning as ctrlz has suggested

yeah.. the pressure plate has springs to engage the clutch... the throwout bearing is only used to disengage the clutch.
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #8
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
yep your right lol

have you abused the clutch? the friction disc could be worn out or there could be a collapsed finger on the pressure plate that is rubbing the clutch disc when its engaged and spinning.
do the 6th gens have an inspection cover if so pull the cover and take a look
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual

Last edited by closs2sx; 01-01-2018 at 04:43 PM.
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:30 AM   #9
ctrlz

Quote:
have you abused the clutch? the friction disc could be worn out...
I have seen friction plates crack with less than 1000 miles from popping the clutch repeatedly. This is actually a dual disc clutch, so we have 2 plates.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:47 PM   #10
HyperBlue2SS

Quote:
I have seen friction plates crack with less than 1000 miles from popping the clutch repeatedly. This is actually a dual disc clutch, so we have 2 plates.
I've got 10k miles on it but I haven't abused it. I've never dumped or popped the clutch a single time with it. I've made some pulls but they weren't clutch drops.

Quote:
yep your right lol

have you abused the clutch? the friction disc could be worn out or there could be a collapsed finger on the pressure plate that is rubbing the clutch disc when its engaged and spinning.
do the 6th gens have an inspection cover if so pull the cover and take a look
I've never abused it, at least what I consider abuse. I use the rev matching feature and never drop or pop the clutch.

Quote:
I haven't heard it since I recorded the video. If it happens again I plan on recording it. Is this something that GM would look at if I showed them the video?

Sorry for the late responses. I appreciate everyone who has stopped to help.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #11
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlue2SS View Post
I haven't heard it since I recorded the video. If it happens again I plan on recording it. Is this something that GM would look at if I showed them the video?
If you record it again, take a video of your feet and the gearshift if possible. Maybe have a passenger do it. It would be helpful to see how the noise changes (if at all) when you shift and work the clutch. Now that you know some of the theories here, you should also be more aware of what to listen for.
I think GM would not be so interested if you showed them an old video of noise the car no longer makes. That's a real head scratcher, and I would not blame them for not knowing where to start.
The fact that the noise went away does not mean you never had a bearing problem. One of the balls can crack and start making noise. As the offending ball gets worn down, the noise can stop, particularly if the ball gets crumbled up before the race is worn. Being down one ball, it will wear unevenly and start making noise again at some point.
This photo shows a few things that can happen. Pitted balls, partially disintegrated ball, worn race... none of these have to happen all at once. amazingly, the parts usually keep working unless they seize.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #12
Paro

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS A8
You could have been dragging something??
Paro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #13
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
If it went away after you shifted and never came back that makes me think something got sandwiched between your flywheel and clutch. Maybe one of the springs in the friction disc broke and was grinding away in there until that shift into 3rd let it fly out. If you have a jack I would go under and pull the inspection cover off and see if anything is laying in the bottom.

I drew in red where the covers Are. This pic is of a motor out of the car so idk what kind of realestate you have to work with under there. Not sure if you have to drop that aluminum skid plate or not. I would guess you do!
Attached Images

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance

Last edited by Dubchitts; 01-12-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #14
HyperBlue2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
If it went away after you shifted and never came back that makes me think something got sandwiched between your flywheel and clutch. Maybe one of the springs in the friction disc broke and was grinding away in there until that shift into 3rd let it fly out. If you have a jack I would go under and pull the inspection cover off and see if anything is laying in the bottom.

I drew in red where the covers Are. This pic is of a motor out of the car so idk what kind of realestate you have to work with under there. Not sure if you have to drop that aluminum skid plate or not. I would guess you do!
Quote:
If you record it again, take a video of your feet and the gearshift if possible. Maybe have a passenger do it. It would be helpful to see how the noise changes (if at all) when you shift and work the clutch. Now that you know some of the theories here, you should also be more aware of what to listen for.
I think GM would not be so interested if you showed them an old video of noise the car no longer makes. That's a real head scratcher, and I would not blame them for not knowing where to start.
The fact that the noise went away does not mean you never had a bearing problem. One of the balls can crack and start making noise. As the offending ball gets worn down, the noise can stop, particularly if the ball gets crumbled up before the race is worn. Being down one ball, it will wear unevenly and start making noise again at some point.
This photo shows a few things that can happen. Pitted balls, partially disintegrated ball, worn race... none of these have to happen all at once. amazingly, the parts usually keep working unless they seize.
Thank you guys for the information and places to start. It'll definitely help me get to the bottom of the issue.