Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Christmas 1911

Whew, I finished just in time for Christmas. I was actually re-assembling this after getting it back from Cerokote on Christmas eve. My wife was tickled that I spent the time to build this gun for her. She had been coached by our self-defense shooting instructor that she should get a 1911 after him having stopped our class and taken my Gold Cup NM and given it to her and gave me the Sig, then resumed the class. I was publically poked at over the range PA system about giving my wife the second rate equipment, including the holster she had. So, I went overboard.

The gun started as a 9mm Springfield 1911. The frame, slide, barrel, full length guide rod, thumb and grip safeties, were all that remain factory. Although all have been modified, shaped, blended, etc., in some way.

The functional mods are: Dawson Precision fiber optic front and LPA rear sights, custom fitted barrel bushing, o/s slide stop, polished feed ramp, 30 degree crowned barrel, fitted/tuned EGW extractor, fitted o/s EGW firing pin stop, Cylinder & Slide Ultra Light tool steel ignition kit (hammer, sear, disconnector, sear spring and hammer spring), STI short trigger, OEM Springfield titanium firing pin, titanium hammer strut, titanium mainspring cap, Wilson extended magazine release, Wilson semi-extended slide stop,

The "gingerbread" mods include: checkered front grip strap, weld-on custom shaped magwell, flat topped slide with diamond checkering, reshaped thumb safeties for comfort, blended and reshaped factory beavertail grip safety, fully chamfered corners on the whole gun, custom thin grips with monogram in glitter, custom mixed purple metallic Cerokote on the frame, and black graphite Cerokote on the slide and controls. The purple metallic frame and glitter monogram grips are a bit of tongue-in-cheek fun after hearing my wife and another gal at the range talk about "girl guns" and equipment.

I did all the work except for the frame front grip strap checkering, which was done by Dave at Evolution Armory in New Hampshire, who stepped up to turn it around in short order to make it in time for Christmas.

In addition, she got a new custom made leather steel reinforced combat holster and mag carrier, their Gunsite Omega model from Davis Leather in Arizona, purple gun rug and range bag, and 4 extra Wilson ETM magazines. She made out pretty well this Christmas.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #2
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Nice pistol.

But the Sig, second rate, over the PA? Oh, your buddies at the range should expect some payback over that one. Let them think you've forgotten.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #3
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Nice pistol.

But the Sig, second rate, over the PA? Oh, your buddies at the range should expect some payback over that one. Let them think you've forgotten.
Wellllllll, the purple metallic and glitter monogram are a bit of a poke at the instructor as well. He'll jump all over it and then figure out it's really a serious gun in "Barbie doll" clothes. He'll be eating crow.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #4
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Very nice. I used to shoot competitively. 1911 was and still is the benchmark all others have to follow!
Old 12-27-2016, 12:35 AM   #5
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
I have a Davis 1911 rig...Talk about Old World craftsmanship! Nice combo all the way around.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:34 AM   #6
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Been wanting to get a 1911 and my concealed carry for a while now. Keep spending the money on mods instead
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #7
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
Wellllllll, the purple metallic and glitter monogram are a bit of a poke at the instructor as well. He'll jump all over it and then figure out it's really a serious gun in "Barbie doll" clothes. He'll be eating crow.
That's good! But don't stop there.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
MGD

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
1911 FTW.
Love my little bugger.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2016, 07:11 PM   #9
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

I can't resist posting an electronic Christmas card I made for the forums at 1911.org a few years back. Doesn't reproduce well at this size though.