Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-10-2023, 08:31 AM   #1
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Interchiller help needed

So I finally got my car back together with the Interchiller installed. Got my AC recharged…nice and cold in the cabin…and nothing happening with the IAT’s. I’m starting to wonder if I hooked the AC lines up backwards.

Pics below of how I hooked into my AC system. One line up near the brake booster. The other I tapped into the line along the frame rail closer to the radiator. I know these are called “liquid” lines or “high” side or “low” side. But I don’t know AC systems well at all.

The chiller brick itself has an expansion valve on it. I assume this is supposed to be the Freon inlet to the brick? I have this plumbed into the larger line that runs up to the connection near the brake booster. Then the other side of the brick to the smaller line that I’ve connected along the frame rail.

Is this backwards?
Attached Images

cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 09:59 AM   #2
cc-rider

So I got the answer to my question. Got ahold of Tracy who originally designed the RX Interchiller that I have. I’ve got the Freon lines run backwards into the Interchiller brick. . F$&@!!! Oh well. Live and learn I guess.

The smaller line is the liquid freon line that gos to the expansion valve side of the brick. Just posting this here in case anyone ever runs into the same problem I had all along with this (no directions with my kit).

Last edited by cc-rider; 06-10-2023 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2023, 10:48 AM   #3
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
Damn that blows. Did you charge it yourself of take it somewhere? If you take it to a ac shop they can recover the Freon for you.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 1300/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 01:04 PM   #4
cc-rider

A friend of mine owns a shop. So he did it for me. Yes, going to have the recover the freon and then reload it again once we get the lines flipped. Gotta take my front clip off again. Damn these projects can be frustrating sometimes!
Old 06-21-2023, 02:22 PM   #5
cc-rider

Well now I’m completely f’n stumped with this Interchiller. Got the freon lines switched around, recharged the system…cabin AC is nice and cold…and I’m still getting nothing out of the intercooler. I go for a drive and log IAT2…turn the AC on and off…and literally nothing at all happens. It’s not working at all.

Now I did skip the diverter valve. I have the coolant running through the HX first, and then through the chiller brick. Which I know I shouldn’t have done. And I will get it in there. However, the chiller should still do something when I turn the AC on and off.

Any ideas on what the hell I’ve got wrong here!? Super disappointed after all the time I put into this thing to get nothing out of it. Especially when others have had good success. I must have something wrong. But I have no idea what.

Perhaps the expansion valve is bad and stuck shut??
Old 06-21-2023, 06:32 PM   #6
tartagliazl1

Who makes the kit? It should still work without the diverter plumbed in. How are you controlling it to switch from cabin to chiller? You should have a T valve that diverts Freon to the chiller.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 1300/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
Old 06-21-2023, 06:42 PM   #7
tartagliazl1

I control mine with a switch i installed in the lighter port. Forward is cabin/chiller back is chiller only. Second pic is the t valve. I’m guessing if you don’t have the Freon valve that it should always be cabin/chiller all the time. Just a dumb thought, you are hitting the little snow button on the a/c switch to activate the a/c.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2023, 09:18 PM   #8
cc-rider

Well I thought the freon diverter valve was just a “competition” mode valve that stopped the freon from the cabin so that it wouldn’t drip on the racetrack. But I also thought that both the cabin AC and chiller could work at the same time.

When I said I didn’t install the “diverter”…I meant the intercooler coolant diverter. But I didn’t install the freon diverter either. But I have never heard that these kits won’t work with cabin AC on too. Thought they could work together.
Old 06-21-2023, 09:20 PM   #9
cc-rider

It is an original version of the RX Interchiller. Forgot to answer that
Old 06-23-2023, 07:54 PM   #10
tartagliazl1

I just received my stage 2 kit from FI Interchiller. Can’t wait to get that installed and have ait2 in the 20’s