Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by antman View Post
Thanks for everyone's feedback! Makes me lean more to getting one put in. Is there anything more than putting on a valve cover breather to get proper ventilation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
let me tell you of my personal experience a few days ago, a friend of mine with a 13psi TVS2300 416 silverado truck kept on blowing the rear main seal, a mere 5 seconds of full throttle were all he needed to kill a brand new seal, he had a breather on the oil cap, passenger side breather hose into the CAI after the MAF and the drivers side going into an RX catch can and into the blower.

His engine definitely has loose ring gaps so you can see quite some blowby at idle BUT, when we connect the drivers side to the RX catch can it STOPS venting, we put the hose on the other opening and same thing it does not vent, im sure when connected to the blower it was venting a LITTLE bit because he was getting a little oil in the can but as soon as we took off the RX catch can and put another some crappy china catch can with no mesh no check valve or weird stuff just as a method of collecting oil puddles from going into the inlet tube or blower and not trying to condense the oil in the otherwise gaseous blowby.

Yes we havent spoken to RX about it, but if RX wants I can even shoot a video of this happening since the blowby is very obvious when you point a flashlight at the PCV hoses.

You will not have those issues unless you really come up with something crazy like I guy I know who shut the PCV hose completely shut because some idiot on the forum told him to do so

PS, not trying to start a fight here either.

Can't start a fight when you're right. With just an RX can I had the leaky rear main. It wasn't until the valve cover breather was installed that the rear main leak subsided.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:34 PM   #16
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I hope Tracy doesnt mis-understand my initial post as an attack to the product because its not and is simply an observation.

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #17
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
I hope Tracy doesnt mis-understand my initial post as an attack to the product because its not just an observation.
Why are you worried about what anyone thinks? After all, it's the Internet!

When is mike shipping you your car back?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #18
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Why are you worried about what anyone thinks? After all, it's the Internet!

When is mike shipping you your car back?
I dont want anyone to caps lock me to death

We still havent made a clean pull on the dyno since the throttle body controller decided to take a dump on us, it wasnt a production piece. The one we have now is supposedly superior and can be tuned and stuff. Last thing it made was 984 at 6200 and the throttlebody fell on its face

They installed the new controller, will test it today and maybe if im lucky we get a clean pull on Monday? After that it will be a little street driving to verify everything is okay, then painting the hood and preparing it for shipment.

Ill be off to London for 25 days anyways and its getting hot so im not im a hurry. Still have a bunch of mods ill do when the car gets here, brakes, remove seat, tubular front crash support, carbon fenders, lightweight battery, 18inch wheels and some real tires. Im broke

Old 05-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #19
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
I dont want anyone to caps lock me to death

We still havent made a clean pull on the dyno since the throttle body controller decided to take a dump on us, it wasnt a production piece. The one we have now is supposedly superior and can be tuned and stuff. Last thing it made was 984 at 6200 and the throttlebody fell on its face

They installed the new controller, will test it today and maybe if im lucky we get a clean pull on Monday? After that it will be a little street driving to verify everything is okay, then painting the hood and preparing it for shipment.

Ill be off to London for 25 days anyways and its getting hot so im not im a hurry. Still have a bunch of mods ill do when the car gets here, brakes, remove seat, tubular front crash support, carbon fenders, lightweight battery, 18inch wheels and some real tires. Im broke
Ha, yeah, you're broke my ass. That's prob the biggest lie on the Internet!

Do they stick it in a container and ship it to you or does it get flown over? Either way its got to be quite the process.

Fantastic build. I enjoy reading the updates. No doubt a one off build. I wish you nothing but gd luck with it!!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #20
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
I'm going to drive it to him :-D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #21
Scourage
Syntax Error

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I was running the RX single valve and breather on mine last month, not sure what boost I was at since I added a smaller pulley and I'm stroked but I don't think it's quite 10 psi. But second pass at the strip I blew oil past the RMS.
My catch can was connected to just the valley. After talking to Tracey at RX I connected the catch can to both the valley and driver's side valve cover and added the 1LE trap, five passes today and no issues.
Scourage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #22
antman

Drives: Victory Red 2013 Camaro SS/RS, L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessika@SCC View Post
Depending on goals, a catch can is a great investment to go with that breather.
For most, the stage 1 is perfect. The stage two is awesome though.

Eventually, I'd like to look into installing a catback, CAI, tune, possibly headers and cam. I'm not trying to gain all of the HP possible but rather get a good balance of adding HP while still able to use it as a DD and minimize problems that come from adding the mods.
antman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
If installed backwards or incorrect the RX can cannot evacuated or relieve pressure due to the checkvalves. In every case where there has been an issue it has been installer error.

You just have to talk to me in person if in doubt to do it correctly. There is no other solution on the market to properly evacuate during both boost and non boost operation. It is impossible to have an issue if installed and routed correctly, but there will always be the few trouble makers.

We run 20 plus PSI and over 1000 rwhp with the RX monster system the only solution to not have seal issues, etc. Over 11,000 in use and if ever in doubt, contact me directly or you get the idiots without a clue like a few posts up. Do it right and you cannot find a better solution, but far better to get it right direct from the manufacturer than by a thread on a public forum.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #24
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
If installed backwards or incorrect the RX can cannot evacuated or relieve pressure due to the checkvalves. In every case where there has been an issue it has been installer error.

You just have to talk to me in person if in doubt to do it correctly. There is no other solution on the market to properly evacuate during both boost and non boost operation. It is impossible to have an issue if installed and routed correctly, but there will always be the few trouble makers.

We run 20 plus PSI and over 1000 rwhp with the RX monster system the only solution to not have seal issues, etc. Over 11,000 in use and if ever in doubt, contact me directly or you get the idiots without a clue like a few posts up. Do it right and you cannot find a better solution, but far better to get it right direct from the manufacturer than by a thread on a public forum.
Well, for one I hope you werent referring to me as the idiot because if you read my post I clearly mentioned that we tried installing the PCV hose into every hole on that catch can, its very obvious which side is venting, but its venting maybe 10% of what the open breather hose was, so the breather was a HUGE restriction in the PCV system. This wasnt the Monster catch can, its the smaller one and this truck is making about 900bhp.

Like I said as well, the built motor on this truck has sort of loose ring gaps, which makes observing blowby very easy at night with a flashlight. When we have nothing on the drivers side hose you can see how much smoke is coming out the pipe, as soon as we put the RX catch can, nothing! Tried BOTH SIDES.

So again if I was the idiot ill make sure I shoot a video demonstrating this so everyone knows what theyre dealing with. I just called my friend and he said its his exams week so ill try to squeeze this video in sometime this week.

Finally, the only way to get a fully unbiased opinion is to ask the end users of the product or a third party that has nothing to do with the product. Go to the vendor and all you will hear is how good his/her product works and will assume that everyone else is an dumb** that cant figure out something as simple as a breather system, and this particular attitude is very obvious in your post.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #25
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
This is getting good, and all over something that sucks or doesn't suck?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #26
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Well, for one I hope you werent referring to me as the idiot because if you read my post I clearly mentioned that we tried installing the PCV hose into every hole on that catch can, its very obvious which side is venting, but its venting maybe 10% of what the open breather hose was, so the breather was a HUGE restriction in the PCV system. This wasnt the Monster catch can, its the smaller one and this truck is making about 900bhp.

Like I said as well, the built motor on this truck has sort of loose ring gaps, which makes observing blowby very easy at night with a flashlight. When we have nothing on the drivers side hose you can see how much smoke is coming out the pipe, as soon as we put the RX catch can, nothing! Tried BOTH SIDES.

So again if I was the idiot ill make sure I shoot a video demonstrating this so everyone knows what theyre dealing with. I just called my friend and he said its his exams week so ill try to squeeze this video in sometime this week.

Finally, the only way to get a fully unbiased opinion is to ask the end users of the product or a third party that has nothing to do with the product. Go to the vendor and all you will hear is how good his/her product works and will assume that everyone else is an dumb** that cant figure out something as simple as a breather system, and this particular attitude is very obvious in your post.

Not you....you need the Monster can AND open breather with your setup...only solution. I was referring to the jerk that has to be negative in any post on what we do and is clueless himself. He just enjoys being a jerk.

You made valid points on yours and the solution can only be the monster can or a good belt driven vacuum pump system.

The standard can can only handle app 12# boost in most cases, and if running over 14-15 a speed density tune is needed and then either the open breather, or the RX version of the 1LE clean side separator.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #27
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Quote:
let me tell you of my personal experience a few days ago, a friend of mine with a 13psi TVS2300 416 silverado truck kept on blowing the rear main seal, a mere 5 seconds of full throttle were all he needed to kill a brand new seal, he had a breather on the oil cap, passenger side breather hose into the CAI after the MAF and the drivers side going into an RX catch can and into the blower.

His engine definitely has loose ring gaps so you can see quite some blowby at idle BUT, when we connect the drivers side to the RX catch can it STOPS venting, we put the hose on the other opening and same thing it does not vent, im sure when connected to the blower it was venting a LITTLE bit because he was getting a little oil in the can but as soon as we took off the RX catch can and put another some crappy china catch can with no mesh no check valve or weird stuff just as a method of collecting oil puddles from going into the inlet tube or blower and not trying to condense the oil in the otherwise gaseous blowby.

Yes we havent spoken to RX about it, but if RX wants I can even shoot a video of this happening since the blowby is very obvious when you point a flashlight at the PCV hoses.

You will not have those issues unless you really come up with something crazy like I guy I know who blocked the PCV hose completely because some idiot on the forum told him to do so

PS, not trying to start a fight here either.
Agree I had the same problem the moment I took off the catch can (that was on there for 1.5 years with no issues) that came with my turbo kit and put on the RX one. And my friend had the same problem once we changed it from the A&A style (No can just valve cover line to intake/filter) to the RX. First pass and a ridiculous amount of smoke from oil from the rear main seal hitting the exhaust on his vette. Restored back to the way A&A had it and no more problems. (he did not have the breather that replaces the oil cap that RX suggest though and both of us probably require the monster can)

To the OP I believe most blowers have the valve cover vent running to the intake/filter and with it like that you won't have any rear main issues running reasonable boost. You will most likely get some oil in the intake with that setup though and that's where the whole catch can thing comes from. It's incredibly easy to prevent any rear main seal issues on an engine that doesn't have alot of blowby. If you are just throwing a blower on a stock engine that is in good condition you wont have any rear main seal issues as long as you don't have the engine's ventilation sealed like HPS. Not really a big issue to worry about. Fear of the rear main seal should not stop you from getting a blower.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #28
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had to have my rear main seal replaced when the car was almost brand new. I changed the oil for the first time, and while I was under there, I noticed the problem. I haven't had any trouble since then, but I did just have a blower installed last week. We'll see if there are any issues.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote