Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
paulyd04

Drives: 12 Silverado XCAB Z71 APP PKG
Need input on exhaust setup

So I've had alot of different cars, but one of my favorites was my 2000 Trans am WS6 Ram Air 6 Speed in high school. The car was so sweet, and it's because of that car that i'm getting back into the camaro/trans am market. With that said, I put the loudmouth 1 system on it (no headers, cams, just catback) and to this day it was one of my favorite sounds. Here are two sound clips from my old car- i uploaded them to ls1sounds.com years ago..

http://www.ls1sounds.com/SLPloudmout...r_stockWS6.wav

My question is that what exhaust setup will make the camaro sound like this? I want the rumble but also i like some of the raspiness. Flowmaster is way too muffled- sounds like you have a potato in your tailpipe. I want it louder but not like terribly raspy either like a ricer. I'll be buying an ls3 camaro

What would be the closest catback/axle back system?

What would closest full exhaust system (headers back)?

Thanks!

Last edited by paulyd04; 11-12-2009 at 11:53 AM.
paulyd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
GOINGSOLO2

Drives: All Models
If you pair our Solo Performance Mach-X cat-back with headers, it should have a similar sound. Below is a video of only our axle-back with AR long-tube headers. With the Mach X muffler, it would be smoother sounding.

GOINGSOLO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
wavrun2000
o come on

Drives: 06 GTO
You could go with the loudmouth system again. It will still be basically the same setup on your old set up. They still use the same glasspacks.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
paulyd04

Drives: 12 Silverado XCAB Z71 APP PKG
any other suggestions? how about stainless works' system? how do you think that sounds compared to the soundclips i provided?
paulyd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Mr. Brownstone

Drives: "SINISTER"
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyd04 View Post
any other suggestions? how about stainless works' system? how do you think that sounds compared to the soundclips i provided?
I just heard a Stainless Works Complete system today in person for the first time (Member: 10aSSeeD) and Oh My Sweet Baby Jesus!!!!!!!

Hearing them in person is TOTALLY different than hearing them on video clip. Under WOT the sound is simply unexplainable!!!!!! It Gave me goose bumps.

Many be a little loud for most people but if you want your Camaro to sound Intimidating these are for sure the pipes you want. Plus the fit and finish is second to none. I also hear they give you 30 rwhp w/o a tune so really how you you ask for more.

IMO they nail the Old School Muscle car sound that I have been looking for.
I was considering ARH with Borla axle backs but now I'm about 95% sure I will go with SW (pricing will now be the deciding factor).

I am glad I waited to pull the trigger.
Mr. Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
In my opinion, Stainless Works is the way to go HANDS DOWN!!!
Probably the best sounding and best bang for the buck. Be forewarned though, this is not an "inexpensive" system. But, you get what you pay for and this complete exhaust system yields just about 30 horses WITHOUT A TUNE!!
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
I have the SW full exhaust and like others have posted it is bad a$$. I am so happy i got this exhaust. At 4500rpm and above it demands respect So if you want it mean then you want SW full exhaust trust me!!!!!

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #8
MBRP Tech
Manufacture

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
So I've had alot of different cars, but one of my favorites was my 2000 Trans am WS6 Ram Air 6 Speed in high school. The car was so sweet, and it's because of that car that i'm getting back into the camaro/trans am market. With that said, I put the loudmouth 1 system on it (no headers, cams, just catback) and to this day it was one of my favorite sounds. Here are two sound clips from my old car- i uploaded them to ls1sounds.com years ago..

My question is that what exhaust setup will make the camaro sound like this? I want the rumble but also i like some of the raspiness. Flowmaster is way too muffled- sounds like you have a potato in your tailpipe. I want it louder but not like terribly raspy either like a ricer. I'll be buying an ls3 camaro

Thanks!
Here is the video from our cat back set up...nice clean, deep exhaust note that makes proven power. You can run down the road all day having a conversation with someone and it's not bothersome...get on throttle, you definately know that it's far from stock.

We build a system with round tips, or rectangular tips for the GFK kit.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Jeff Carr
Sales & Special Events Coordinator
MBRP Inc. Performance Exhaust
1-888-636-7223
www.mbrp.com]
MBRP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
What are your plans in terms of modifications? That would be a pretty big driver in my exhaust choice.

If you're planning on doing a cat-back, cold air intake and maybe a tuner/tune I'd go with Magnaflow part # 16580 sound clip HERE. It's a 2.5" Stainless Mandrel bent system with a resonated X-Pipe (for scavaging and sound quality) and no rear mufflers. The Resonated X-Pipe controls the tone.

If you're planning on a set of headers down the road and possibly a power adder I'd go with 16483 sound clip HERE. It's a 3" Stainless Steel Mandrel bent system with a Tru X-Pipe and mufflers. I'd only go this route if you were planning on making over 500 RWHP.

Please feel free to call or email us anytime. We're always happy to help you find the proper product for your application and needs.

Kind regards,
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRP Tech View Post
Here is the video from our cat back set up...nice clean, deep exhaust note that makes proven power. You can run down the road all day having a conversation with someone and it's not bothersome...get on throttle, you definately know that it's far from stock.

We build a system with round tips, or rectangular tips for the GFK kit.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

I've got a question for MBRP. Will you ever offer a 2.5" version? Most other cat-backs are 2.5" and I'm a little afraid the 3" will take away some of the low end torque. I know you claim an increase in torque but that's at WOT. Mine will be a driver so most of my fun will be stop light to stop light.

I plan on just basic mods for awhile (exhaust and CAI). A year or two down the road I'll probably put ARH and maybe a Cam w/tune. Still none of it will be radical like a maggie or anything.

Since the front stock system will still be 2.5" (stock manifolds and stock Cats) it also seems like the 3" is over kill or even waste of money.

I would love to see a 2.5" MBRP to help with low end torque and maybe bring the price down an extra $100 or so.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
GOINGSOLO2

Drives: All Models
Solo Performance offers the Mach-X for the LS3 Camaro. This is a stainless steel cat-back kit, that is direct bolt-on. The pipes are all T403 stainless steel, mandrel bent, and 2.5" diameter. The Mach-X muffler and 4.5" round tips are T304 stainless steel. The system weighs 39 pounds, a significant reduction from stock. The price can't be beat at $749 SHIPPED for the complete kit. The link below will take you to even more specifics on the kit, and there is a link in my signature of the sound clip compilation for our exhaust kits.

Mach-X Kit Details---> http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42318
GOINGSOLO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
What are your plans in terms of modifications? That would be a pretty big driver in my exhaust choice.

If you're planning on doing a cat-back, cold air intake and maybe a tuner/tune I'd go with Magnaflow part # 16580 sound clip HERE. It's a 2.5" Stainless Mandrel bent system with a resonated X-Pipe (for scavaging and sound quality) and no rear mufflers. The Resonated X-Pipe controls the tone.

Go with the Magnaflow Competition system listed above...the sound is almost exactly what you are looking to repeat.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
Go with the Magnaflow Competition system listed above...the sound is almost exactly what you are looking to repeat.
This is basically the same setup as SOLO Mach-X. MagnaFlow system is like $1,100 (+ shipping).....SOLO is $750 shipped. You can probably find the MaganaFlow system cheaper if you shop around but it will be roughly in that price range. If you want a system like this then I would consider SOLO.

Just my 2 cents....
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #14
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
This is basically the same setup as SOLO Mach-X. MagnaFlow system is like $1,200 (+ shipping).....SOLO is $750 shipped. If you want a system like this then I would consider SOLO.

Just my 2 cents....
We are priced right with Solo and offer a better product IMHO. If you're interested in pricing please feel free to call, email or PM us anytime!

Kind regards,
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote