Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-25-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Oil cooler leak

I had my car inspected today and the tech said he sees a small leak at my oil cooler. Anyone have any experience with this?

I assume there is a gasket there where it mounts?
Old 06-25-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
I had my car inspected today and the tech said he sees a small leak at my oil cooler. Anyone have any experience with this?

Yes, common problem on the LSA. GM recommends replacing with new bolts, but you can check them although I cannot remember the torque spec. You do not want to over tighten as the bolts are only 20 pounds or so. If you do you will need to extract them from the block, and that’s not easy access.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:20 AM   #3
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Yes, I understand about the bolts, thanks. I ordered gasket and seals. I will be careful with the torque of the bolts. Hopefully that is all it is.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #4
ZMEnow

Quote:

Quote:
Yes, I understand about the bolts, thanks. I ordered gasket and seals. I will be careful with the torque of the bolts. Hopefully that is all it is.
I have seen several including mine where a re torque does it.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:17 AM   #5
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Interesting, I'll try that first. But they were cheap enough so now I have them if I need them. Still don't need any extra work to do so if tightening them (gently) works, then great.

Thanks so much for the advice. Appreciate any response these days! Cars are getting older, people moved on, not as much activity.
Now to go and research replacing Mag Ride with coilovers!

Last edited by Happy_Dan; 06-26-2020 at 09:49 AM.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
ZMEnow

Quote:
Interesting, I'll try that first. But they were cheap enough so now I have them if I need them. Still don't need any extra work to do so if tightening them (gently) works, then great.

Thanks so much for the advice. Appreciate any response these days! Cars are getting older, people moved on, not as much activity.
Now to go and research replacing Mag Ride with coilovers!

Mag's have gotten pretty expensive since the build demand isnt that high for GM, and Delco annouced limited lifetime warranty. I did stock up from Amazon while they were cheap. $180 for fronts, and $245 for rears, but those days are gone.. Best of luck.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:37 PM   #7
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Thanks, wish I had bought them then!
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote