Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #71
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Stunning!!!!

However, -10 points for Motor Trend for worst convertible photos ever. The backdrop looks like a soaking wet Northwest winter day. The guy looks like a wet dog and there's even water spray from the tires in some of the photos.

Try Arizona or Socal for the next photoshoot, eh?
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #72
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
why did they test this car in the rain?????????
Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #73
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
Stunning!!!!

However, -10 points for Motor Trend for worst convertible photos ever. The backdrop looks like a soaking wet Northwest winter day. The guy looks like a wet dog and there's even water spray from the tires in some of the photos.

Try Arizona or Socal for the next photoshoot, eh?
Huntington Beach would have been a great backdrop

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #74
Trekkie

Drives: Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via ICQ to Trekkie Send a message via AIM to Trekkie Send a message via MSN to Trekkie Send a message via Yahoo to Trekkie
Jeeze you coupe guys are a bunch of whiney babies.

I had an Audi TT Roadster when they came out. people complained about the window. If you look at it from the outside sure the thing looked like a tray table in size. I never saw the sides of the window in my rear view mirror. What do you people with coupes do. Sit in the back seat and look out the window?

I weigh more than the difference between the coupe and the convertible. Why is this such an issue for some? I *drive* my car not put cones up and pretend I'm a race driver. I'm glad you guys like to do that but complaining in a thread about how a convertible can't do that? Leave that for the rustang drivers.

I've owned three convertibles in the last 15 years. They aren't for everyone. But give me a quiet 70 degree spring morning with no one on the road or a nice evening star drive and you boys who wear tops all the time are missing out. I like my cars like I like my girls. Topless.

Anyway, with that out of the way.

That being said I've not driven a coupe or convertible yet. Is the A-pillar that bad in the coupe or is it a 'oh hey' when you first drive and then you learn how to work through it. I'm going to be calling some dealers and doing the V6 vs V8 comparison (fuel mileage concerns) but otherwise is this motor trend being motor trend (they hated my TT too, and my A4 Cabriolet, clearly they let someone who hates convertibles drive both)
Trekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #75
besherman

Drives: 2008 GMC Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnfuegoZ28 View Post
I can't wait to see a Z28 convertible!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
besherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #76
427Carl
427CARL

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6speed
Send a message via Yahoo to 427Carl
I like it ! I am impressed with the Et's ...... The fatty is no slouch.......
Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #77
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
That being said I've not driven a coupe or convertible yet. Is the A-pillar that bad in the coupe or is it a 'oh hey' when you first drive and then you learn how to work through it.
Visibility is fine in this car. That A-pillar is no worse than any other new car on the road today thanks to rollover mandates and side-curtain airbags. As far as I've noticed, the majority of owners say it takes a few miles of getting used to...but you do get used to it, and then its fine.

But your 'bad' and my 'bad' may be different, so I encourage you to test drive one and see for yourself!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #78
BUMBLE-B-TUNA

Drives: 2010 SS
Kudo's to GM for the vert and the positive write up. No its not for me but to have the option of buying one as apposed to going the Ford, BMW etc... route is well worth it. Its all about options, thank god not everyone has the same taste! Wouldn't it suck if everyone drove a Camaro Coupe?
Bring on the Z/28 and then I'll be thinkin'
BUMBLE-B-TUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #79
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnfuegoZ28 View Post
I can't wait to see a Z28 convertible!
This I don't understand.

GM is offering a 6.2L V8 drop top with a 6-speed, and you're waiting for them to slap a Z28 badge on the side?
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #80
25thanniversary

Drives: 92 Camaro Convt RS,2011 Camaro RS
she looks good without her top.

TEAM LLT

1992 Camaro Rs Convertible
2011 Camaro 1lt Rs
25thanniversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #81
reefdiver

Drives: Cheverlot
I hate to disappoint...I don't think you'll see a convertible Z28. For the same reason you can't get a targa top on a Z06. They’d have to put another brace or add more to the frame to control flex which would result in even more loss in performance.

I wish they had incorporated a fiberglass panel to cover the top like most companies have migrated to.

Still happy with my coupe!!!
reefdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #82
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
That being said I've not driven a coupe or convertible yet. Is the A-pillar that bad in the coupe or is it a 'oh hey' when you first drive and then you learn how to work through it. I'm going to be calling some dealers and doing the V6 vs V8 comparison (fuel mileage concerns) but otherwise is this motor trend being motor trend (they hated my TT too, and my A4 Cabriolet, clearly they let someone who hates convertibles drive both)
The forward visibility isn't bad, but if you plan on taking corners the pillars are annoying. Any left corner over 45 degrees will make you lean to the passenger side or towards your window to see the road, right turns are not so bad. Rear visibility is bad but that is almost any sports coupe.

Depending on how tall you are, wearing a helmet without reclining the seat (which makes the dash overwhelming) might be necessary. I suggest a Simpson X bandit or something from the Simpson line that fits close to the head. Ricky Bobby head gear will not work if your Ricky Bobby size...

There is always the Ace Ventura option but hard to do while wearing a seat belt.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:29 AM   #83
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I'd say almost completely irrelevant for 90+% of Camaro buyers, hardtop or not.
Exactly. If this car was built for and marketed to just those people who want to race the thing, it would have been built in one trim only - 1SS coupe - and it would have fell flat on its face.

Contrary to what the performance purists seem to want to believe, the Camaro was never designed to be just for people who want to autocross or go around a track. Sure, the most famous ones could do that, but that didn't make the other models and trims illegitimate. Convertibles (and V6's, the only thing the purists hate more than convertibles) have always been part of the lineup, and there's no reason for it to not be now. For that 90%, the Camaro is more about affordable performance and looking good while doing it, it's about making the engine roar accelerating up an on-ramp all the way to the blistering speed of... 5-10mph over the speed limit? Most of the SS owners probably aren't going 0-60 as fast as the V6 does it at every light anyway, and most of the V6's are doing it as slow as the Challenger SE - so how many among that part of the buying population is REALLY going to notice if the convertible is a tiny bit slower? At the risk of being tossed out of the forum for heresy, dare I say that for most SS owners, the ones who own it to cruise around in it rather than regularly smoke Mustangs at a track, that 400+hp may be pretty blatant overkill?

But who cares? In every form this car is a lot of fun, no two ways about it. For the hardcore performance junkies, there will be the Z28, and there is the body-in-white (because when performance rules, nothing less will do right?). For the rest of us, there are lots of options depending on our own tastes and environment and budgets. Just like it always has been with the Camaro.

And for my part, I think the convertible looks great! Not so much with the top up, but that's true of any convertible. The trunk space thing is no big deal - I've nearly talked some relatives of mine into getting a Camaro convertible to replace their Miata, and when I told them about the trunk space complaints for the Camaro they laughed! The XM antenna is another thing that doesn't really bother me - it's a goofy location, but I don't like it any more on the coupe where I think it's even more prominent and not paint-matched, so who am I to split hairs. On the other hand, the way the top-down look exaggerates the coke-bottle shape of those big hips looks ridiculously cool.

Last edited by Lazerbrainz2k3; 01-08-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:03 AM   #84
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
What? they didn't say an word on the car's SUN ROOF? lol

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote