Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #127
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Tikki Tavi View Post
I dont know if itll be a collector car. People throw that around way too much. The guys that woukd be willing to purchase this car for three or four times its value 50 years from now will be dead. The only way I see it being a collector is if GM drastically limits its production. Similar to the 00 Cobra R.
I'd be willing to bet its first yr of production, no more than 1500 are sold. Is that limited enough for you?

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #128
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Here we go again, a disgruntled want to be Z28 purchaser? No.
A ZL1 owner justifying his purchase? Ding, ding, ding.

It's NOT for you. I repeat it's NOT for you.
It has very expensive parts on it. Parts that you'd see on racing GT cars which cost $$$,$$$. Again we get you want to impress others coworkers, girls, anyone, etc. and it's OK you don't get it...now just let it go.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #129
Gunfighter13

Drives: Black 2012 Camaro 1SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Don't forget the $40k price difference between a GTR and Z/28.
You can buy a Z/28 and 1LE for the price of a GTR

Poor excuse for a Z/28?

Go troll somewhere else.
That looks like a troll response, I think your 98 is a POS to, but hey some idiot had to buy that crap for Chevy to sell it..........I bet you like mustangs to......
Gunfighter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #130
Gunfighter13

Drives: Black 2012 Camaro 1SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I think every Z28 since 73 has been a poor excuse for a Z/28 until this one.
1973 was the last year for a real Z/28...........
Gunfighter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #131
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter13 View Post
That looks like a troll response, I think your 98 is a POS to, but hey some idiot had to buy that crap for Chevy to sell it..........I bet you like mustangs to......
I disagree that its a POS. It gets the job done for me. I didn't buy it new, my dad did. I'm driving it now while I finish restoring my Chevelle.

I like Mustangs but that's because I'm not some brand humping fanboy. I like cars, no logos.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #132
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
True. I guess my point is the car may be "street legal", but not street friendly.
Not "street friendly" enough for you, perhaps.

Quote:
I just cant see myself picking up a woman for a date in a car with one speaker, no spare tire or jack, etc then say I paid 60 Gs on it.
1. There's no reason she has to know how much you spent on it unless she helped you buy it. That it's yours and not borrowed from Daddy or Uncle is all she needs to know.

2. If she's that put off by the lack of amenities in a car that isn't hers, maybe that should tell you something.

3. If all she does is understand it - let alone the odd chance that she might actually appreciate it, she's a keeper.

That you'd feel embarrassed to talk about it to your friends means that neither you nor your current circle of friends "gets it". That's OK, too.

Now . . . for those of us who grew up with cars that were far more Spartan than the most basic 2014 Z/28 can possibly be and which didn't have anywhere near the same performance in exchange, all this whining about what the Z/28 doesn't have/isn't going to get is exactly that - childish whining. With apologies to Don Henley and Glenn Frey, "Get Over It".

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #133
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
I dont see whats so impressive about what is essentially a painted body in white camaro.

Why are bragging about a car that is losing technology?

Id be much more impressed if this car could whip a ZL1 aroujd a road course while still having navigation, more than 1 speaker, sound deadening materials in place and kept the jack and tire in back.

How much faster would a ZL1 be with the same applications?
Quote:
Whats to be blown away about it? This is exactly my point. The new z/28 isnt an engineering marvel aside from its breaking system. Chevy is gonna charge 60-70 probably even 80 grand on a concept thats been around for 50 years. All youd be doing is paying for some expensive breaks and z/28 badges.
Quote:
Id like them to come up with a way to have performance as well as amenities. If you were to add all the stuff GM removed to make it a street car, it would drastically effect performance.

Its the same argument I have with guys as far as the 13 Shelby. All Ford did was add a bigger supercharger, up the boost, max out the block, and add a cold air intake. Apply the same concept to the ZL1. A 427, replace the 1.9 with the same 2.3 found on the ZR1, up the boost from 8psi to 14, and add a cold air. Easily over 700 horses.
Quote:
True. I guess my point is the car may be "street legal", but not street friendly. I just cant see myself picking up a woman for a date in a car with one speaker, no spare tire or jack, etc then say I paid 60 Gs on it.
Quote:
lol really? You obviously arent comprehending my point. The car is not suitable for daily driving. No AC? One speaker? No spare tire? Lol Id be embarrassed to tell anybody I spent that much on a car and got so little.
Quote:
The Zl1 isnt an SS with a supercharger. While its true you may be able to make an SS faster for cheaper, What about the beefed up rear end? The MRC? Not to mention the engine isnt simply an LS3 with a supercharger.
Quote:
I wouldn't tell my male friends I spent that much on a stripped down Camaro. And I wholeheartedly agree this car is not meant to be a daily driver. So why tout it as such?

My point is why so much for so little?
Quote:
I absolutely get the point. Just not for 60-70 thousand dollars. Its bad enough to go backward, its even worse when it cost more money to do it.
Quote:
Lol I dont buy cars for women. If that was the case I woukdve bought a corvette. My point is its not worth that much money. GM should've dropped an LS7 in an SS, add MRC, tune it to 540 horsepower or in that ball park, add carbon fiber parts for weight, add a carbon fiber drive shaft, Recaros, hell even remove the back seat, or make it easily removed. Then offer it for 70 Gs and market it as the best Camaro.
Quote:
Lets be realistic. Its not worth the money. Id be surprised if anyone in your circle made a dumb decision and you not call them on it. Basically, your saying you know its not worth the money, but you dont care. I do.
Quote:
Lol No. But one speaker? Come on. Besides, its not just the speaker. Youre just being silly. Its what youre getting for the price.
Quote:
I dont know if itll be a collector car. People throw that around way too much. The guys that woukd be willing to purchase this car for three or four times its value 50 years from now will be dead. The only way I see it being a collector is if GM drastically limits its production. Similar to the 00 Cobra R.
You're obviously uninformed and it's almost shameful that you are a Camaro owner. You would think that someone that has the ability to own a ZL1 would comprehend the nature of all the different trim levels available for the Camaro, would understand the nature and purpose of the Z/28. Take some time and read, no even better, Google the history of the Z/28 and then Google cost of maintaining a race car and when you have something of value or an inciteful perspective about the Z/28, come back and elaborate. Other than that, you are just being an antagonist.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #134
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Chevy Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rs View Post
'60's SS Impalas and Vettes are worth thousands more with factory radio and especially heater delete. I have a '63-64 Impala SS radio delete plate and have never seen another ever. My '77 RS had no air- I couldn't afford it ! I never listen to my radio in my '13!
How old are you and did you buy those cars new? if you dont mind my asking.

The reason why I ask is whats Nostalgic for youre generation, may not be for the next.
Rikki Tikki Tavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #135
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter13 View Post
1973 was the last year for a real Z/28...........
1969 was the last year. 1973 was the last year for Z28. Z28 thereafter.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #136
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
Quote:
How old are you and did you buy those cars new? if you dont mind my asking.

The reason why I ask is whats Nostalgic for youre generation, may not be for the next.
I'm 54 and bought the '77 new at 18. one in three of new '77's had no air conditioning. The firebirds were probobly one in 4 had no air. The h.p. then was so low that not adding air may have given a few hp- maybe not.
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #137
orthojoe

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
I think we can all agree here that Rikki Tikki just doesn't get it. Given he seems to be the only one, that is a good thing. The people that DO get it way outnumber the one guy that doesn't. I'd be worried about the future of the Z/28 if the Rikki Tikkis outnumber the real track guys.

Rikki, you keep coming back to cost. You must not understand how much it costs to have a track car that is capable of running the lap times the Z/28 is capable of. The Z/28 is a bargain for what it is/does
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #138
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Here we go again, a disgruntled want to be Z28 purchaser? No.
A ZL1 owner justifying his purchase? Ding, ding, ding.

It's NOT for you. I repeat it's NOT for you.
It has very expensive parts on it. Parts that you'd see on racing GT cars which cost $$$,$$$. Again we get you want to impress others coworkers, girls, anyone, etc. and it's OK you don't get it...now just let it go.
...that sums it up Chance....myself being a ZL1 owner, and an older guy.....who does not give a rats pittute about anything other than getting an allocation and trading in on it <with my ZL1 of course>. The more things change, the more they stay the same. You only go 'round once....I just wanna go 'round fast no frills style.........., in a brandy new, gosh darn honest factory production racer... <Z/28>
Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #139
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...that sums it up Chance....myself being a ZL1 owner, and an older guy.....who does not give a rats pittute about anything other than getting an allocation and trading in on it <with my ZL1 of course>. The more things change, the more they stay the same. You only go 'round once....I just wanna go 'round fast no frills style.........., in a brandy new, gosh darn honest factory production racer... <Z/28>
You my friend are true ZBrother! I'm justifying my desire for one as well.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #140
ebaugh1990
Permagrin since 2/11/13

Drives: '13 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
I've changed my mind on the z/28. I will most likely be buying one when they come out, it will be a daily driver. Yes... A daily driver. Not a garage queen or track car, I will drive it and enjoy the #### out of that 427
JBA 3" CAT-BACK Model 40-3114
Cold Air Inductions intake (near-chrome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-6g...ujjgV9wZo9jnXw

Quote:
I agree, my car without cats doesn't smell like rotten eggs, it smells like high octane Bad@ssness emitted through a natural speaker producing "Muscle Car Music"
ebaugh1990 is offline   Reply With Quote