Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #645
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
Understood. That's why I'm looking for a price of gm doing that. Cause 25k plus is a bs number
So for you what is a realistic number?

Do you know the prototype costs to build all the development cars needed to run all the tests? Do you know the number of prototypes needed? Do you know all the tests and evaluations necessary? Do you know the number of engineers needed? Do you know the cost of the tools necessary for the new parts? Do you know the sample size of protoype parts to perform component testing? Do you know the cost of manufacturing tools in the assembly plant? Do you know the costs associated with low volume production? These are all questions that have to be answered for any product. Your phone, TV, washer and dryer. There is nothing unique about this.

In this case I don't have a clue.

But I do have an idea on how to go about determining them, so I can guess. There are so many costs involved in product development and manufacturing that I don't think you are fully considering.

And all of these costs have to be spread over a very low volume and a factor I don't think you are including that either.

You can do your own math but I think in your mind it is simply replacing one engine with another and just applying the engine cost differential. It isn't that easy or straight forward.

I am pretty sure that GM isn't going to make all that information public to get your question answered as well as you would like.

I would like to know too by the way

And btw my assumption of a 60 grand car was nothing more than 38k for a 1LE, I assumed 10k for just the engine based on what GMPP used to charge for a crate motor and threw on a guess for a low volume car to do the work and a couple of grand in GG tax which is included in the Z/28!base price. Could it be less? Unless GM confirms the dollar amount for development we'll likely never know. But as Fbodfather said there is no plan to build that car. So only fodder for polite discourse.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #646
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Greg -- thank you for your kind words -- and for your thoughtfulness.

I - and the team - DO get your point.

What I think we're trying to do is to bring the Z/28 back to it's original purpose - and that is to find mustangs on a road course and eat them. No - I'm not saying that this car is set for SCCA rules - what I AM saying is that this car is an amazing driving machine - and on a road course it will blow cars costing many times more to kingdom-come.

NOW - that said -- and I've mentioned this before:

no matter WHAT we do with the Z28 or Z/28 moniker - we alienate some people. For too many years we've alienated the original Z/28 enthusiasts by using the nameplate on a much more mainstream Camaro. To some that's a good thing.......and for a lot of years, they were happy. The reality is that it's time to honor the nameplate by taking it back to its roots.

Yes-- it's expensive - but I invite you to drive a new 1LE or an SS or a ZL1 - and you'll see that we've built a Camaro for 'every purse and purpose" (to use a quote from one of our founders - Alfred Sloan.......

I DO hear what you're saying - but when the final numbers from Nurburgring are published - and the final production numbers are announced - I think - or hope - that you'll see where we're coming from - and that the decisions we make are never easy ones --

We sweat EVERY DECISION because we know we'll get blistered no matter what.

Hope to see you again this year!
Thanks Fbod for all the replies! When I first heard about this car I must admit that I didn't know what you guys were planning. All I could see was the numbers, and I knew this would be an absolute murderer of a Camaro. I feel like this car is putting the camaro in a whole new level. I for one am loving what I am seeing!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #647
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Well at least no one has complained about the tail lights... from now on I will ignore anyone who has been on this site less than six months. Unless of course they have locked their keys in the car.... or want to know who Shunt is.

This thread has given me a much deeper respect for the long timers here... class acts... even motorhead.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:38 PM   #648
DocMartens

Drives: '14 1SS/RS LS3
I would rather have the ZL1 or 1LE and pocket the difference to use for something else.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #649
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
that isn't a true statement because we have not announced anything in terms of volume. It will be limited.
for such a great car that is too bad. In limited quantities usually that means only the elite will have a chance.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:54 PM   #650
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwest View Post
for such a great car that is too bad. In limited quantities usually that means only the elite will have a chance.
We all knew the production would be limited somehow. It's not like LS7's are growing off of trees right now. I'm still wondering how all of that is going to work out
Old 01-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #651
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
We all knew the production would be limited somehow. It's not like LS7's are growing off of trees right now. I'm still wondering how all of that is going to work out
I wish they were growing off trees. I'd take a tree.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:09 AM   #652
macwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Hopefully it wont be like the first zl1's trying to get one was impossible and if you were luck to find one had a huge markup. That is why I ended up just modding my 2010.

On a brighter note I believe since this is now a production vehicle sold in California, with California smog laws, you can put a new motor in a older car so we should be able to now put a 427 motor in a 2010 + Camaro. It would just need all the smog parts the z28 comes with
Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 AM   #653
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Well at least no one has complained about the tail lights... from now on I will ignore anyone who has been on this site less than six months. Unless of course they have locked their keys in the car.... or want to know who Shunt is.

This thread has given me a much deeper respect for the long timers here... class acts... even motorhead.
I guess you missed this post then...

Quote:
I am excited about a LS7. currently I am on fence with z28. based on how tunes go here in cali with smog I may do a mix and match with a z28 and my current 5th gen. I just do not like the new taillights. Too much like a Honda
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic when it was posted.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 01-06-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:18 AM   #654
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
This is what I hate to see happen, but it looks like it will go down that way. I use to dream of owning cars like this when I was a kid and thought to myself, if I work hard someday I will. I never thought that finally having the funds to buy a great car would be shut down by having the wrong clout to do so. Looks like my buds are out of luck. I know the fun if had getting a ZL1 with cash in had. I can only image what this guy will be like to purchase for the normal person. ie.. Not Rick Hendrick or Jay Leno.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:24 AM   #655
macwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
This is what I hate to see happen, but it looks like it will go down that way. I use to dream of owning cars like this when I was a kid and thought to myself, if I work hard someday I will. I never thought that finally having the funds to buy a great car would be shut down by having the wrong clout to do so. Looks like my buds are out of luck. I know the fun if had getting a ZL1 with cash in had. I can only image what this guy will be like to purchase for the normal person. ie.. Not Rick Hendrick or Jay Leno.
sorry nothing to do with clout, bad wording. Just having enough cash and in hand... average joe 75K is tough and most don't have it in hand. with limited production , at least in cali, dealer markup will be huge. Limited runs seem to favor the rich. However, with a unlimited run you know eventually you will be able to get one and it would be around MSRP.

QUOTE=Angrybird 12;7313328]I guess you missed this post then...

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic when it was posted.[/QUOTE]

No I was being honest. The square taillights are very distinctive and you know its a camaro just like a challengers taillights. New ones are not. I know everyone at gm did a great job on the z28 but for me it is the one piece of the 5th gen I just do not like is the taillights. If I buy a z28 the rear end will be one part I transfer over from my current 2010. To me ,I think GM did a great job on the square taillights and I plan on keeping them. That's what makes all our camaros great is our own personal changes.

Last edited by macwest; 01-06-2014 at 01:42 AM.
macwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:42 AM   #656
King T

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2011 Buick Regal Turbo
The Z/28 is awesome! Kudos to GM and everyone involved for bringing this wonderful vehicle to fruition.

After it was mentioned that it was going to be the most expensive street legal Camaro I guessed it was going to be $70k, I was close!

While it is out of my price range, I think it is totally worth it, and I hope to be able to see one when they hit the street or track

Reminds me of a modern day (and better more extreme take) of the 2000 Cobra R

1999 SVT Cobra MSRP-$27,470
2001 SVT Cobra MSRP-$29,600
2000 SVT Cobra R-$54,995

Hope to see a Z/28 at C5 Fest!
Old 01-06-2014, 02:04 AM   #657
QueenLegs
👄 Queen Legs

Drives: 2013 SS Hot Wheels
Always cheaper in the USA....what's the Canadian one at?
Old 01-06-2014, 03:19 AM   #658
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Blah blah blah...
this thread is getting old, either buy it or whine about it...

UNSUBSCRIBE !!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote