Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #1121
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I'm not sure anyone else here really cares to see how they "square off". The Z/28 long-timers here all believe in the Z/28 as the "true" track design. We lobbied and waited for this car before it was even whispered about. As we continued our discussion we didn't believe the ZL1 to be the complete answer. So we waited, discussed and waited some more. We finally received more than we asked for. Personally I'd go for the 1LE over the ZL1 and add what Z/28 parts I could. But if you prefer the ZL1 there is a section for that.
Indeed, on a further thought, trying to applying SCCA rules seems rather pointless, as they don't apply to most people who track their cars.

A 1LE seems a great suggestion: an example of what Orange Crush has built for 53Gs is a super value for a company he keeps on track.

I so wish the Z28 was more affordable, or at least had more power. I am very glad it is here - but I am disappointed, as I can't justify its price for my purpose. But, this train has left the station, so it is time to move on (I am almost sure somebody will reply to this last sentence as a quote, LOL).

Anyhow, we are truly blessed with GM offering an amazing line up to pick from. Decisions, decisions...

Enjoy 24hrs of Daytona everyone. Hope the Bowtie boys do well in the new C7Rs. Should be fun to watch!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #1122
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I'm not sure anyone else here really cares to see how they "square off". The Z/28 long-timers here all believe in the Z/28 as the "true" track design. We lobbied and waited for this car before it was even whispered about. As we continued our discussion we didn't believe the ZL1 to be the complete answer. So we waited, discussed and waited some more. We finally received more than we asked for. Personally I'd go for the 1LE over the ZL1 and add what Z/28 parts I could. But if you prefer the ZL1 there is a section for that.

Or get a ZL1 and drop an LS7 into it
Old 01-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #1123
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Or get a ZL1 and drop an LS7 into it
Not unless GM gave me a full refund for the LSA

If I picked an LS7, I would leave it where it was originally designed to live: in a 3100lb body. As I said: decisions, decisions...I must say a 1LE build sounds tempting.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #1124
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Indeed, on a further thought, trying to applying SCCA rules seems rather pointless, as they don't apply to most people who track their cars.
The only reason I dragged SCCA's outlook into this was to try to nail down a little better the concept that "OE" or "OEM" or "stock" specifically means "production line stock".

Anything else is a mod on some level. While this doesn't matter anyplace where it's "run what ya brung", it does apply to the way we buy cars at the dealership salesperson's desk and it does define where the "slippery slope" begins in the sort of comparisons/equalizations we're trying to make between the two "Z" Camaros here.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #1125
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The only reason I dragged SCCA's outlook into this was to try to nail down a little better the concept that "OE" or "OEM" or "stock" specifically means "production line stock".

Anything else is a mod on some level. While this doesn't matter anyplace where it's "run what ya brung", it does apply to the way we buy cars at the dealership salesperson's desk and it does define where the "slippery slope" begins in the sort of comparisons/equalizations we're trying to make between the two "Z" Camaros here.

Norm
Ya I actually appreciate you bringing SCCA into the picture and it would be interesting to know how the two Zs could be compared at that level.. But at the end, a vast majority of buyers don't really care, just like folks don't care what tires are run at the track. From my experience, "stock" at informal DE type events refers more to the car vs tires, as those are consumables and require frequent changes anyway (if somebody is dedicated to the sport). And those that track infrequently often don't even know the difference between tire types. But I thank you for trying to help
Old 01-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #1126
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
But at the end, a vast majority of buyers don't really care
Now I think I can tell you that I've always modified my cars to suit the way I wanted them to drive, and whenever I autocrossed I just ran in whatever class my car fit into. Typically that ended up being some "Prepared" class or other, where my daily-driven street-duty car was still well below the modification limits for the class. Even the Mustang in my avatar is probably either Street Mod or C Prepared (2 or 3 levels up from "Street" or "Stock"), just based on one particular mod that I won't "undo".

IOW, I've known all along how you were looking at this.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #1127

Drives: Getaway Special
So many seeking to "fix" so much. If you have to modify to compete, well, I guess it just needs to be "fixed to fit, or acquit!!"
Old 01-25-2014, 11:55 PM   #1128
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Now I think I can tell you that I've always modified my cars to suit the way I wanted them to drive, and whenever I autocrossed I just ran in whatever class my car fit into. Typically that ended up being some "Prepared" class or other, where my daily-driven street-duty car was still well below the modification limits for the class. Even the Mustang in my avatar is probably either Street Mod or C Prepared (2 or 3 levels up from "Street" or "Stock"), just based on one particular mod that I won't "undo".

IOW, I've known all along how you were looking at this.

Norm
I don't know about you, but one "mod" I would never "undo" for a track car is track tires. The second best mod on any "stock" car after the driver "mod"
Anyhow, I am WAY off topic...URGH!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #1129
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
..it's a grand car, an epic ride...how many will track it, complete in class racing with it, or mod it...only time will tell. I say not many.. history tells us most will be garage queens as time has told us over the eras these special rides have been gathered up to be so,...but...for those about to rock...we salute you!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #1130
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
The March '14 issue of Car and Driver landed in my mailbox today. An interesting story on the Porsche 918 is contained within. Base price is $847,795. I said "Base"...

Did you know that Porsche offers an extra-cost Weissach Package that "strips out sound insulation, replaces leather with Alcantara, dumps cooling for the passengers...and otherwise cuts weight by 90 pounds"? Sound familiar, in part, to the Z/28 preparations?

CO$T? Well, "if you have to ask"...it's only $84,000. But it does include the special Weissach wheels which, as a free-flow option, would otherwise be $32,500 (and NO, they're not platinum-plated)...or $8,125 each...

Or, for the same $84,000 at the Porsche Palace, you can ADD 4,400 pounds...by purchasing a nicely-optioned 2014 Cayenne Platinum Edition...you know, for those crappy days when the 918 should stay indoors...BUT genuine platinum plating is STILL optional...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 01-29-2014 at 11:19 AM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #1131
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
So I'm sure over on the Porsche forum there are pages and pages of whining about that.

GT3 owners are probably bitter and are complaining that the 918 isn't THAT much faster... and may not be at all faster if you ran the same tires on the GT3. And even if the 918 is faster it certainly isn't +$600K faster and think of the track car you could build for almost a million dollars.

Regular Porsche owners are most likely upset as well because the Porsche was always the car for rich guys... but now this new one abandons the merely wealthy in favor of the uber-rich. A slap in the face to the loyalists for sure!

And without question the forums are lit up with crying about the $84K cost to take stuff out of the car! There are, I am sure, post after post about the speculative costs of each 918 component and how that balances with the cost of stuff they are leaving off and how no way that equals $84K. I'll bet someone even mentions that for the cost of taking stuff out of the 918 a person could buy a brand new Z/28 and have money left over.

Finally, it is a sure bet that the butt hurt (those who can't afford one) are predicting that they will sit on lots unsold because, hey, they are just not worth $850K and people will just go out and buy a Mclaren instead.

Or not.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #1132
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
I'm fairly certain no one @ Porsche is anticipating REBATES to unload unsold very limited production 918s. They'll tailor production to meet demand...

...just like the Z/28...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:39 PM   #1133
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
So I'm sure over on the Porsche forum there are pages and pages of whining about that.

GT3 owners are probably bitter and are complaining that the 918 isn't THAT much faster... and may not be at all faster if you ran the same tires on the GT3. And even if the 918 is faster it certainly isn't +$600K faster and think of the track car you could build for almost a million dollars.

Regular Porsche owners are most likely upset as well because the Porsche was always the car for rich guys... but now this new one abandons the merely wealthy in favor of the uber-rich. A slap in the face to the loyalists for sure!

And without question the forums are lit up with crying about the $84K cost to take stuff out of the car! There are, I am sure, post after post about the speculative costs of each 918 component and how that balances with the cost of stuff they are leaving off and how no way that equals $84K. I'll bet someone even mentions that for the cost of taking stuff out of the 918 a person could buy a brand new Z/28 and have money left over.

Finally, it is a sure bet that the butt hurt (those who can't afford one) are predicting that they will sit on lots unsold because, hey, they are just not worth $850K and people will just go out and buy a Mclaren instead.

Or not.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #1134
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...gotta get the Z/28.R's up and going, lets see what the next round brings.