Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Blacked out my tail light bezels...

And don't they look badass?!?!

Here's how your car would look without the bezels. It looks cool but I hate that I was able to see the slots where the bezel tabs go.

Followed the directions and everyone's comments from this thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46729''

Bought some Duplicolor Adhesion promoter

Bought some Duplicolor Truck/Van Universal Flat black

An OEM door panel remover is king here for getting those taillight panels off (the black trim with 2 plastic rivets blocking access to the lights from the trunk).

If there is one painful thing about this mod its removing those pesky bezels. I had a pretty hard time on the 1st one but the rest went a little more smooth. My hands are pretty big and I was barely able to feel the bottom tabs, let alone press or pry them loose. For the top ones I gently slid a butter knife between the bezel and slot and loosened the tabs. Once you loosen the top 2and the sides just keep pushing the tabs from behind (inside the tail light housing out) on all sides until the bezel pops out. I was able to do this in order to remove all the bezels without messing with the hard to reach tabs. If the tabs don't budge, push the tabs harder until it pops out. Just make sure you push on all the tabs evenly to pop the bezel out as a whole. I didn't break any tabs or bend/break the bezels so this works pretty well. And its a hell of lot less painful than removing a bumper (plus rear gfx) and risk dropping it and scratching. My finger tips are sore as hell though... If you have questions a out removing the bezels post up or PM me.

Followed the OP's instructions from the link above. After that final medium coat, I let them sit outside to dry overnight (~13 hours) then sanded imperfections with 800 grit paper, washed bezels, dried then applied 2 light-medium coats 10min between coats of flat blk. Allowed them to dry for another 2-3 hours in the afternoon while I washed my car
Old 01-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
Bone
2SS RJT OWNER/OPERATOR

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 RJT
Check these out. I decided to remove the bezels and install all weather marine rubber gasket around to fill the gap.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
That's a good idea, looks great too!
Old 05-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Any help will do. I got my new bezels and need to remove the old ones. I've managed to get the tops loose and the sides where I can see them but the bottom tabs and the ones on the outside and cannot get to, especially the ones on the outter section. So how can I do this. I do have Big "A" hands! I tried the butter knife and I can get those tops to release (only tried on the drivers side thus far since I may drive it today and don't want to look jacked up with no bezels at all are missed matched) but it's just not working with the others. I'd like to not damage the chrome ones since they are only 700miles on them new and I or someone else may have a need for them but if I can't get these out, I may have to break 'em just so I can get the black ones in.

Any takers on this? Trying to get it done today to finish up my blacked out looked in the back.

Thanks and boy do my fingers tips hurt from pushing!
Old 05-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
dcamarom
SoCal Family Member

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2LT/RS
I used a screwdriver to pry the bezels off when the tabs got a little loose. When I did it, it sounds like the tabs broke or something else, but then I checked and it was all good.
dcamarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
chozn4service

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcamarom View Post
I used a screwdriver to pry the bezels off when the tabs got a little loose. When I did it, it sounds like the tabs broke or something else, but then I checked and it was all good.

Thanks for the info! I've already dropped a butter knife down in the forbidden pit!! Hope to get a telescoping magnet down there to get it sometime within the next day or so but in the meantime I just don't see how to get to the ones on the outer region. I see the 2 on top and the 1 on the inside and I can see or should I say I know there are 2 on the bottom but just don't see how to get to them to release them. Truth be told, I really don't care of I broke the tabs at this point since I have new black ones to take the place of the chrome but would like to same them. I don't know, I'll try again in the morning and see what happens. This is killing me!
Old 05-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Great, my next "soon-to-be" mod. I have the primer and paint. Next day its nice out ???
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
chozn4service

Got mine out. Once I got the top taps released I was able to get the sides and then I just pushed the bezels out evenly and the bottom tabs just released on their own. The other three bezels I had within 30 seconds on each one. Thanks for those who gave advice on this!

Peace!
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Check these out. I decided to remove the bezels and install all weather marine rubber gasket around to fill the gap.

that looks much better than painting them, I like mine chrome.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
LosingReality

Drives: Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
Got mine out. Once I got the top taps released I was able to get the sides and then I just pushed the bezels out evenly and the bottom tabs just released on their own. The other three bezels I had within 30 seconds on each one. Thanks for those who gave advice on this!

Peace!

Looks killer man! I still cannot decide if i want that truck blackout or not!
LosingReality is offline   Reply With Quote