Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #3221
tahseenmahmood
Mr. Ricer

Drives: Camaro 2LT
seers car is pretty awesome.. to be honest
Old 08-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #3222
tahseenmahmood
Mr. Ricer

Drives: Camaro 2LT
humm.. i dont even know where they put the coolant ..lol
need to learn this stuff when ever me meet in the next cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Welp...was watching the temperature on the way home from Uniontown and the car looked to be a little warm (in the middle between 200 and the first dash on the oil temperature) and the coolant temp was 190F to 207F sitting in traffic.

Went out this morning....coolant reservoir is empty...but radiator is full....

Off to THR it goes.... Sad...it was freshly waxed, and now gets to sit out in the dust and dirt of Tom's construction.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #3223
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
Interesting. Seems odd on a >4000 mile car.
Mine was bone dry. I added some into the reservoir and was good to go.

207* is nothing bud. The thermostat is like 185 or 195... Hell it won't even open until you hit that. Plus if the car was sitting with no air blowing over.

Anyone know what temps the fans kick on? I'm betting it's over 207.

I'm sure your car is fine. You're stressing yourself out over nothing. Fill the reservoir and keep an eye on it. You're wasting your time and the guys at the dealer. If it was overheating, I'd say talk it in. It got a little warm in traffic, no biggie.

As far as this puddle at Rich's... Where was this puddle? Under what area of the car?
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #3224
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
Mine was bone dry. I added some into the reservoir and was good to go.

207* is nothing bud. The thermostat is like 185 or 195... Hell it won't even open until you hit that. Plus if the car was sitting with no air blowing over.

Anyone know what temps the fans kick on? I'm betting it's over 207.

I'm sure your car is fine. You're stressing yourself out over nothing. Fill the reservoir and keep an eye on it. You're wasting your time and the guys at the dealer. If it was overheating, I'd say talk it in. It got a little warm in traffic, no biggie.

As far as this puddle at Rich's... Where was this puddle? Under what area of the car?
Why would it be bone dry? That fluid shoudln't just...escape the system that quickly.

Jamie said like 225F is the fan kick temp if i remember right.

As for the coolant, it just seems higher than it typically is. Also, the oil temp is typically just a tick to the right of 200 on the cluster, and now its between 200 and the dash, so my engine is running hotter for some reason.

As for the puddle, we noticed it on the tranny case when the car was in the air. When Rich touched it, he said it felt like water. At the time, I didn't touch it. Then I also remember seeing a puddle of the gorund when I had the car just sitting, idling wiating to pull in. It was under the cabin area.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #3225
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Why would it be bone dry? That fluid shoudln't just...escape the system that quickly.
This is what I would question. Obviously, if the radiator is full when cold then it's still alright; however, I don't know if the overflow tank being completely empty when cold is anything I've ever noticed in any vehicle (new or well-maintained, that is).

Have you ever noticed fluid in the tank previously? If not, then perhaps this is how they're sending the cars out?

Quote:
As for the puddle, we noticed it on the tranny case when the car was in the air. When Rich touched it, he said it felt like water. At the time, I didn't touch it. Then I also remember seeing a puddle of the gorund when I had the car just sitting, idling wiating to pull in. It was under the cabin area.
Are you sure it wasn't condensation from the A/C?
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #3226
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahseenmahmood View Post
seers car is pretty awesome.. to be honest
Yes, but we don't want to tell him that.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #3227
Swacer

Quote:
This is what I would question. Obviously, if the radiator is full when cold then it's still alright; however, I don't know if the overflow tank being completely empty when cold is anything I've ever noticed in any vehicle (new or well-maintained, that is).

Have you ever noticed fluid in the tank previously? If not, then perhaps this is how they're sending the cars out?
Honestly, I never looked. I just know my oil temp in 100F outside was lower than it is now out in 80F. And yes, I've sat in traffic in both situations.

Quote:
Are you sure it wasn't condensation from the A/C?
It was 60F when I got to Rich's. Hell, I had the seat heater on when I left the house. A/C wasn't on.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #3228
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Quote:
It was on the underneath of the transmission housing itself,it felt like water/condensation,I didn't give it much thought,as it was cool the night before and figured it could have been dew build-up or moisture making its way back from the front.
I really don't believe it was anything other than just some moisture.
That being said I had mine up on the lift just minutes before his,and mine was dry underneath,of course I wasn't really looking for any fluid either.

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #3229
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Well getting it looked at never hurts but I'm sure you're just being paranoid. .

Cars do run hotter when stuck in traffic tho, you know that right? Temps rise, A/C doesn't work for crap... cars are just generally unhappy in traffic.

If it were me, I'd fill the reservoir and take it out on 79 and drive it, get the air blowing over everything and see where the gauges are.

Tom will take care of you.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #3230
Swacer

Quote:
Well getting it looked at never hurts but I'm sure you're just being paranoid. .

Cars do run hotter when stuck in traffic tho, you know that right? Temps rise, A/C doesn't work for crap... cars are just generally unhappy in traffic.

If it were me, I'd fill the reservoir and take it out on 79 and drive it, get the air blowing over everything and see where the gauges are.

Tom will take care of you.
I might be paranoid, but after that stupid genesis...i just have an expectation of a car "working" properly lol

Ya, I'm gonna drop it off at Tom's today after work. They will take a look at it tomorrow. I need it for Thursday, so unless there is something broken on it, I hope to get it back before then.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #3231
Swacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
Lol. You remembered me wrong unless I had a typo. Lol. 225 would be hot. I'm not sure when the fans come on. I'd guess around 210-215 but I really don't know. Our 4 banger doesn't kick the fans on until 210 or so and that's only if stopped
Oh ok. My mistake then.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #3232
Swacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
Lol. No problem. My money is on the tank just needing topped off.
And if thats the case, I am still confused. WHERE did the fluid go to begin with?

My oil temp went up...so something is not cooling at efficent as it did before I left for uniontown. Because I chronically check gauges.

Its a fluid with a high flashpoint, I don't see it just evaporating. there has to be a leak in the system.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #3233
Seer

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT
Quote:
Its actually all relative to the position of the observer. And the plane the observer is in. In some planes....Seer's GT500 can be beaten by a prius
in gas mileage
Seer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #3234
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Have you ever checked the reservoir before? I hadn't. Someone pulled out the dipstick and say "hey, this is empty". I filled it. Maybe it was low from day one. Didn't care. I filled it and it was fine. Car runs a little warm, car runs a little cool, whatever. As long as its not overheating. I guess I'm just not as worried about things. Even with my empty coolant overflow reservoir, my car went 31,000 flawless miles in my ownership and I beat it pretty good. I never worried about every little thing. I maintained it very well and kept my eye on things. If I saw something, I addressed it as I saw fit and kept an eye on it.

I do think you're being paranoid a touch but that's fine. We're just giving you suggestions that won't waste your time. If there truly is a problem, trying the fill and drive method isn't going to make the car implode.

Plus they will likely void your warranty because you didn't properly check your fluids and let the reservoir run dry.