Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #15
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
hyundai diesel

60mpg
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #16
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
woohoo...soapbox-steppin. What is the point of the worry of running up mileage? What is the point of the car?

- Do I want to run up the mileage on the ZL1? (currently under 5k miles in 9+ months of ownership) - How thoughtful you are that you are afraid to drive your car because you want it perfect for the next guy. How wonderful a humanitarian you are by always thinking of others whenever you purchase things! How unselfish your have grown to become as an adult. Pfffft! Drive the piss out of it. If you hate to drive it that much you better sell it now!

- I'll be using 3-4 gallons of gas per day vs. ~1, would be nice to have something more fuel efficient but I don't want to drive a beater $50k used car and you are worried about $8 a day avg. Seriously? $300ins / yr (other car) + $1500 (gas @ 2.50 for 300 days) + $100 (oil changes) + licenses = ~ $2000 a yr. just for the other car. A DD that you love is the only way to go. Keeping both ends up costing you more out of pocket and netting you very little when you consider all of the miles you didn't drive just to give to the next guy. And if you trade at a dealership, all bets are off!

- will not have a garage spot but will have off-street parking (very urban environment). Do I want it sitting outside all winter? Also the effect of salt on the car
This is your MOST compelling argument for getting rid of the Z. Driving a car daily is one thing, but being able to maintain it is another. Many people on here do not have garages. Keeping a car out of the IL elements will be crucial to its survival. Driving the car will be MUCH easier on it than letting it sit out in the weather. If you can't find a place to park it inside, and you can't afford to drive it....sell it. End of discussion.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:35 AM   #17
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
What type of driving is your new commute? is it Hwy? or at least mostly??

The reason I ask, is the amount of gas you will be burning due to the increased mileage?? (COST)

if so.....go head and trade in the Z28 and get a new Corvette, I did that the first part of this year. my commute is 50 EACH way every day......and its my daily driver. I had a V6 Camaro AND a V6 Caddy.....and my gas mileage INCREASED over the two.....(getting an average of 28 mpg going back and forth to work) and getting LOTS of PERM-A-GRIN!!
Yes, it will be highway primarily. Problem with the Corvette is that I don't know that I'd want it sitting outside all winter either. plus I'm guessing the ground clearance is less than the ZL1 so probably not as good in the snow.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #18
Travis104

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I have a Chevy Cruze and a Dodge Ram 2500 when the weather is really bad.
Travis104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #19
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
I don't DD my GTR but I'm not affraid too, I bought it at 40k and I already have put 3k on it so mileage never bothered me. I bought it to drive it and track it.

Driving in the winter isnt an issue with good tires, just don't drive like an idiot. Better to drive it year round than just let it sit throughout the winter without a garage. I have only had a garage for 7 months, so my Camaro was outside daily and used as my daily.

I've never seen the point of a beater, drive a car you enjoy. Period. I know guys that drive GTRs but daily drive a Prius...
Old 10-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #20
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Buying/leasing a second car never really makes financial sense as the other guys have pointed out. Your Camaro will soon become a very expensive toy rather than a fun car to drive to the office.

I would look into using public transportation if you expect a snow storm. I used to do that when I lived in the DC area. It seems likely you could park at a lot close to a commuter bus or train station and take that into town.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #21
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I have a 2012 Silverado LTZ.

2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #22
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Just keep it and drive it. You've already spent the money on it, so use the car. There are maybe two or three mornings all winter where the plows haven't been through and you might have issues with snow. Other than that, the roads are plenty clear to drive that car year round.

The .25 carwash is your friend. Wash the car frequently and you won't have any trouble. If, and this is a big if, ten years down the road, the car starts to develop rust issues, then sell it... and buy another one from some guy who "saved" his car. Those cars are not rare enough to worry about right now.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #23
casper sc/1ss/rs

Drives: 2011 camaro ss vortech supercharged
[QUOTE=ClawSS;8669161]woohoo...soapbox-steppin. What is the point of the worry of running up mileage? What is the point of the car?

- Do I want to run up the mileage on the ZL1? (currently under 5k miles in 9+ months of ownership) - How thoughtful you are that you are afraid to drive your car because you want it perfect for the next guy. How wonderful a humanitarian you are by always thinking of others whenever you purchase things! How unselfish your have grown to become as an adult. Pfffft! Drive the piss out of it. If you hate to drive it that much you better sell it now!

- I'll be using 3-4 gallons of gas per day vs. ~1, would be nice to have something more fuel efficient but I don't want to drive a beater $50k used car and you are worried about $8 a day avg. Seriously? $300ins / yr (other car) + $1500 (gas @ 2.50 for 300 days) + $100 (oil changes) + licenses = ~ $2000 a yr. just for the other car. A DD that you love is the only way to go. Keeping both ends up costing you more out of pocket and netting you very little when you consider all of the miles you didn't drive just to give to the next guy. And if you trade at a dealership, all bets are off!

- will not have a garage spot but will have off-street parking (very urban environment). Do I want it sitting outside all winter? Also the effect of salt on the car
This is your MOST compelling argument for getting rid of the Z. Driving a car daily is one thing, but being able to maintain it is another. Many people on here do not have garages. Keeping a car out of the IL elements will be crucial to its survival. Driving the car will be MUCH easier on it than letting it sit out in the weather. If you can't find a place to park it inside, and you can't afford to drive it....sell it. End of discussion.
casper sc/1ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #24
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You could buy one of those easy to erect car port type shelters, and buy a cheapo 100$ month payment car to beat on and save the zl1 as its worth keeping more prestine.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #25
Kens ss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS , L99 convertible
You asked about the effect of salt. Of course salt= corrosion and rust. All the cast aluminum in the engine compartment will look like it has white barnicals all over it. As far as frame and body... Today's cars are better protected with galvanized metal and "e" coat before the primer. But eventually, rust will find it's way through over a few years.

The top side can look pretty for years to come with care, but the bottom side will suffer.

But parking outside will not contribute to the rust. Best to wash salt off as often as your can on the few warm days that pop up in winter.

You already said you drove it last winter, so no doubt salt has already sprayed everywhere. So she is no longer a salt free virgin anyways.

I say if you enjoy driving year around, then go for it.

Resale value will be effected, as there are so many used camaros, that have never even seen rain let alone snow.

Last edited by Kens ss; 10-05-2015 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
Kens ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:52 PM   #26
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Gas mileage and MPG just don't enter my thoughts. my commute is 80+ miles a day. I bought a green Scat pack as my DD so I can do more mods on my SS.

Big issue with camaros if sitting out is that they are real easy to steal. In the Bay Area it is a real problem. If you are keeping it on the street. look at some security. Revelco is a very good one to think of.