Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
waybadsrad

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary Edition
Instability while braking

Good Morning Guys,

I was hoping you can help me. I have a 2012 SS Manual. Under are breaking the car get little unstable wants to move side to side. Also on bumpy roads I get a little unstable. The only suspension mods I have are bmr lowering springs. Since the motion is side to sideI think it maybe control are bushings. What do you guys think?
waybadsrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Unstable on bumps only while braking or all the time? If only while braking then perhaps one brake caliper is doing more work than the other - check to see if your pads are worn even side to side; if on bumps while not braking, you're probably experiencing bump steer, and lowering the car without compensating for the lowered chassis can increase bump steer.

There are bump steer kits which are basically outer tie rods with a longer stud so that the pivot point of the outer toe rod lowers about as much as the inner toe rod does due to the lowering springs, allowing the steering arms to sit at more or less the original factory angle even though you're lowered.

How's your alignment?
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:19 PM   #3
waybadsrad

Thanks for the response. I got the car aligned right after I lowered it. It started doing it after about 4 months after I lowered it. I feel it over bumps but it’s the worst when braking hard.

Last edited by waybadsrad; 12-11-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:11 PM   #4
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Radius rod bushing inserts.
Also improves turn in.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:46 PM   #5
waybadsrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Radius rod bushing inserts.
Also improves turn in.
Hey Fred I feel most of the movement in the rear do you think that radius arms bushing will translate that motion
Old 12-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #6
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
I installed cradle bushing inserts at the same time as the radius rod bushings. Those took all the rear-end slop out. I noticed it more on hard turns than braking. As if the rear end was floating.

Many owners switch to solid cradle bushings. Since I have no plans to add power, the inserts were recommended for my application. They are much easier to install than swapping out the bushings.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #7
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Gotta ask. When you lowered, were the bushings clocked/timed (whatever they call it)?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote