Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 09-22-2019, 09:24 PM   #1
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Trunk shade part

Before you put the top down on my 2012 convert, you have to pull out this shade thing in the trunk and hook it into the slots. What is that part called, and can you get it anywhere besides the Chevy dealer? Also, is it easy to replace?
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:44 AM   #2
huskerborn

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
not sure about where you can get one, but it is just one nut on each side.. 10mm I think. Very easy to remove.. No wires or anything like that, at least on my 2011 there wasn't.

Outside of the dealer, I would check ebay.
huskerborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:10 PM   #3
linc400

Thanks. I am surprised there are no wires as the top will not go down without the shade being pulled out and hooked into the slots.

I tried checking Ebay with Camaro convertible trunk or trunk shade, and tons of stuff came up, but nothing was coming up that looked remotely like the part I need.

They wanted $125 at the Chevy dealer a couple of years ago when the post/bar that hooks into the slots broke. Mechanic at the Chevy dealer fixed it with some parts he got at Ace Hardware across the street. He said it was a temporary fix. It lasted a couple of years before it broke again now, but now that guy is gone, and the dealer with only fix with GM parts. I hate paying that much for a new part when the things are flimsy from new.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
huskerborn

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by linc400 View Post
Thanks. I am surprised there are no wires as the top will not go down without the shade being pulled out and hooked into the slots.

I tried checking Ebay with Camaro convertible trunk or trunk shade, and tons of stuff came up, but nothing was coming up that looked remotely like the part I need.

They wanted $125 at the Chevy dealer a couple of years ago when the post/bar that hooks into the slots broke. Mechanic at the Chevy dealer fixed it with some parts he got at Ace Hardware across the street. He said it was a temporary fix. It lasted a couple of years before it broke again now, but now that guy is gone, and the dealer with only fix with GM parts. I hate paying that much for a new part when the things are flimsy from new.

Yeah, there must be a sensor in the cradle it sits in..
huskerborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:16 AM   #5
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerborn View Post
There is a sensor there I think on the left side that picks it up.

You can actually find this sensor and connect the two wires and you won't need the shade at all. Of course, you have to be careful if you put luggage or anything in there, these bows will bend easy if overpacked.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #6
linc400

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
There is a sensor there I think on the left side that picks it up.

You can actually find this sensor and connect the two wires and you won't need the shade at all. Of course, you have to be careful if you put luggage or anything in there, these bows will bend easy if overpacked.
Thanks. The mechanic that originally fixed it at Chevy suggested bypassing it as an option as well. But since mine is a daily driver, I decided not to do that just in case I forgot about something in the trunk and decided to lower the top. He said the bows could bend and the glass could break
Old 12-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #7
Farmboy

Drives: Chevrolet camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerborn View Post
You may have to bite the bullet. Did you try a salvage yard?
Farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote