Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 09-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Still no SC for V6 eh?

Yeah, I'm looking high and low for Superchargers on the V6. I guess no options yet eh? Anyone hear any rumors?

So many dead supercharger teasing threads... it's about time a company does this lol.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Turbo is the best bet right now, i dont see a supercharger coming around any time soon. I talked to a ton of different companies, vortech, paxton, jackson, etc and nobody wants to do it. Sucks man.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
At this point, I believe the ONLY FI option is the STS Turbo, which is a monster. Putting down almost 400 at the wheels. I'm with you though, I'd love to open the hood and see a big shiny supercharger sitting there. It's strange nobody is stepping up with as many people are clamoring for boost on here. My guess is demand will start to skyrocket in about 3 years, when warranties start expiring. I think that is when we will see an explosion in people going to forced induction because many people with the V6 are using it as a daily driver and can't afford to take that risk on a car they need. I think a lot more V8 guys' cars are their toys, and they are much more willing to roll the dice on extreme mods. My guess is that the big performance companies know this and therefore are not going to sink $X into developing something that might only sell a couple dozen units.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
SDCamaro10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
At this point, I believe the ONLY FI option is the STS Turbo, which is a monster. Putting down almost 400 at the wheels. I'm with you though, I'd love to open the hood and see a big shiny supercharger sitting there. It's strange nobody is stepping up with as many people are clamoring for boost on here. My guess is demand will start to skyrocket in about 3 years, when warranties start expiring. I think that is when we will see an explosion in people going to forced induction because many people with the V6 are using it as a daily driver and can't afford to take that risk on a car they need. I think a lot more V8 guys' cars are their toys, and they are much more willing to roll the dice on extreme mods. My guess is that the big performance companies know this and therefore are not going to sink $X into developing something that might only sell a couple dozen units.

Not entirely true.. Anyone can piece together a turbo system, its the tuning thats the problem. I can only figure that vendors do not want to keep having to go to another business to get their own product to work correctly. I can go out and buy everything i'd need for a turbo set up, may have to customize a few parts.. but after installing it, all i would need is a good tune. If the computer wasnt such a PITA.. and if it wasnt DI, you could just use an OBDII, or an aftermarket AFC to tune it.

I agree that after a couple years, you'll start to see more and more. We might have another competitor in the making if all goes well. Mine is a daily driver, and I wouldnt hesitate to throw a turbo kit on it if i could afford it and not be trying for kids.. lol.

As for the companies, yeah demand plays a big role.. they wont put thousands in to something that wont sell. STS took the risk, and looks like its paying out for them.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCamaro10 View Post
Not entirely true.. Anyone can piece together a turbo system, its the tuning thats the problem. I can only figure that vendors do not want to keep having to go to another business to get their own product to work correctly. I can go out and buy everything i'd need for a turbo set up, may have to customize a few parts.. but after installing it, all i would need is a good tune. If the computer wasnt such a PITA.. and if it wasnt DI, you could just use an OBDII, or an aftermarket AFC to tune it.

I agree that after a couple years, you'll start to see more and more. We might have another competitor in the making if all goes well. Mine is a daily driver, and I wouldnt hesitate to throw a turbo kit on it if i could afford it and not be trying for kids.. lol.

As for the companies, yeah demand plays a big role.. they wont put thousands in to something that wont sell. STS took the risk, and looks like its paying out for them.
I didn't mean that they were the only ones who could build it, but they are the only ones who swallowed their pride and asked for help to tune. All I meant was that's the only kit you can buy right now that "just works."
Old 09-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
SDCamaro10

Quote:
I didn't mean that they were the only ones who could build it, but they are the only ones who swallowed their pride and asked for help to tune. All I meant was that's the only kit you can buy right now that "just works."
Lol.. true true. We'll be seeing more options soon enough i'm sure.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
Camaro Freak

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT 334HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCamaro10 View Post
Lol.. true true. We'll be seeing more options soon enough i'm sure.
I hope your right!! I can't wait to do a Super Charger on this car. Mine, I guess you would say , is my toy. I have a 1999 Blazer as my DD.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
jagan323
I have no life

Well... I'm not going FI just to get FI.. I really want a Supercharger in this car lol. Cmon, it's a pony car... Turbo just feels weird to me. I mean its all cool and everything, but Turbo seems to be more fussy than a SC. If i want a turbo, I'd go for an STI or something with AWD.

Seriously, if they make a SC kit for the V6, I'd thank them, and purchase it right away. You hear me SC companies? I have an account open JUST for you! The money is waiting just for a SC kit =D
Old 09-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Still waiting to see one run at the track... If memory serves most guys are only getting about 350 RWHP, which isn't shabby at all... but I want to see how things hold up and how it does at the track, where the car really gets a load on it...

Also car has a 5 year/100,000 mile power train warranty...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
SDCamaro10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Still waiting to see one run at the track... If memory serves most guys are only getting about 350 RWHP, which isn't shabby at all... but I want to see how things hold up and how it does at the track, where the car really gets a load on it...

x2.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post

Right, 3 years from now that will be about when the first orders have had theirs for five years right? I've had mine almost a year and a half and I was nowhere near first.

And my shop just did an install on an STS and their dyno showed 380-something for the RWHP which is here in Texas during the summer. But yes I completely agree that dyno and track are different animals entirely.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #12
seanm@stillen

Drives: Grey
Send a message via AIM to seanm@stillen
It always is going to come down to dollars and cents. The V-6 market is smaller, less guys are going to modify their cars. The cost of R & D is pretty high, so you have to be able to absorb that cost in the number of kits you expect to sell. STILLEN has been producing supercharger kits for Nissan V-6's for years, and we know how involved some of those kits can be.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #13
jagan323
I have no life

I see, thanks for your input Sean. Yeah, I suppose you are right, there are move V6's out there, but most leave the V6 stock. Sigh... too bad...

On another note, I'm suprised no V8 guys have come in here and say "You should have gotten a V8 instead" LOL. But yeah, I just want to hear the SC whine in my car =(
Old 09-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #14
CamaroDreams07

I still think there is sufficient demand for a first-to-market SC to easily recoup their R&D. But what do I know.