Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #15
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Maybe it's because if someone else destroys their bumper and buys and fixes yours to replace for a song, GM loses out on selling a new one to his insurance company. All about the Benjamins.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #16
Nb1081

Drives: 10 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
I agree, but it is your water pump and alternator also.
Yeah but are they gonna re paint it and sell it as a reman bumper
Old 08-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #17
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nb1081 View Post
You know they will! And, there is very little damage to it. They were actually going to just fix the two little gouges and paint the area, but I told them no. The car wash said I could get a whole new bumper, so that's what I want! I didn't want a patch job. So, with very little effort, they'll fix it. Makes me mad!
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #18
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nb1081 View Post
No, they melt it down and make a new one with the plastic.
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #19
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
I totally agree. And now, I'm thinking...the shop owner said it'd be "about" $150 if I wanted to buy it back, yet on the GM parts site, it says $75.
The shop owner is going to make a profit on the return. Guess who has to box it up and ship it. Or arrange for it to be picked up.

They will allow you to keep it for a core charge. Both GM and the body shop will allow you this.

If your alternator goes out, and you go to the parts house to get a replacement, they sell you an alternator for 100 dollars (hypothetical numbers) and you give them the old alternator for the 50 dollar core. Or you pay 150 or more since they now don't have a core to rebuild...for the new alternator and keep the old one. If you opt to keep it, then you have to find a place to store it, and it sits there for an eternity until it's so outdated no-one can use it, and you throw it away.

GM wants a core, for whatever reason.... and the body shop now has to try to keep it in good shape, taking it off with care and arrange for pick up or shipping. Are they to do this for free or charge you for it.

If you go to a different body shop, they would possibly not mention the core (doubtful) and just charge you 75 to 150 or more additional and do the work. Then if you don't ask for it, they arrange to have it picked up or shipped and pocket the core....

If you must have it, pay the 150 and take it home and store it, then list it and wait.....

In most cases if you play by the rules it's way less stressful.... I appreciate what you are trying to do.... but this one isn't worth the headache to me....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #20
gto mark

Drives: 2015 Red Hot 2SS/RS 1LE Recaros NPP
The manufacturers reconditions them & re sells, similar to a starter or alternator. I have seen this before.
gto mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #21
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Technically it is not your car part. It belongs to the insurance company. They are to pay to make your car whole again. That doesn't include giving you all the parts back. Either pay the core charge or forget about it and move on.
Makes perfect sense to me.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #22
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
Technically it is not your car part. It belongs to the insurance company. They are to pay to make your car whole again. That doesn't include giving you all the parts back. Either pay the core charge or forget about it and move on.
Makes perfect sense to me.
This!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #23
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto mark View Post
The manufacturers reconditions them & re sells, similar to a starter or alternator. I have seen this before.
The same goes with car batteries. I can't remember how much it was but I had to pay a core and get some money back when I give them the old battery.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #24
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I've paid core charges on body parts before. No big deal and it makes perfect sense. Keeps metal and plastics out of the landfills where they'll sit for an insane amount of time. At least they'll get recycled into something useful.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #25
junkman

Drives: 14ss
I recently had to buy another front bumper from a deer collision. I fixed the car myself, but bought the parts through a local shop. I got the same deal, they were going to have to charge a core if I didn't turn in the og one. The shop said companies are buying the used/damaged bumpers from the body shops and repairing them. Body shops have the option to buy them as they are GM parts, however refurbished. Insurance companies can use these parts and it saves money all around, at the same time cuts GM out of the loop on selling original parts. GM is basically charging the core to get these parts returned and off the market. That's the explanation I got anyway.
junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #26
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
See autozone lol

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:37 PM   #27
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
A couple of things. First, as has already been stated, since the insurance company is paying to have the car repaired, any parts being replaced belong to them … technically, they bought & paid for them.

As far as the core charges go, they are being required for more and more parts these days. This is due to a couple of factors, the biggest of which is companies can make money by refurbishing them or, in the case of plastic parts, melting them down and repurposing the plastic.

Basically, I look at it as getting a discount on the part if I send the seller the old/damaged one. If I don't want to send them the old part, then I pay full price (i.e. the additional core charge).
Old 08-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #28
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
The shop owner is going to make a profit on the return. Guess who has to box it up and ship it. Or arrange for it to be picked up.

They will allow you to keep it for a core charge. Both GM and the body shop will allow you this.

If your alternator goes out, and you go to the parts house to get a replacement, they sell you an alternator for 100 dollars (hypothetical numbers) and you give them the old alternator for the 50 dollar core. Or you pay 150 or more since they now don't have a core to rebuild...for the new alternator and keep the old one. If you opt to keep it, then you have to find a place to store it, and it sits there for an eternity until it's so outdated no-one can use it, and you throw it away.

GM wants a core, for whatever reason.... and the body shop now has to try to keep it in good shape, taking it off with care and arrange for pick up or shipping. Are they to do this for free or charge you for it.

If you go to a different body shop, they would possibly not mention the core (doubtful) and just charge you 75 to 150 or more additional and do the work. Then if you don't ask for it, they arrange to have it picked up or shipped and pocket the core....

If you must have it, pay the 150 and take it home and store it, then list it and wait.....

In most cases if you play by the rules it's way less stressful.... I appreciate what you are trying to do.... but this one isn't worth the headache to me....
All valid points. I guess what annoys me too, is that the mechanic that is going to do the work, asked me if he could have the bumper! If their purpose is to recycle, then why is he asking for it. I'm sure he's not going to pay the $150 or whatever they decide it will be, charge.
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote