Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
A NEW generation of oil, for ALL GM cars

I came across this today....

Every 2011 General Motors car rolls off the assembly line with the engine filled with a new generation of oil. Other automakers, such as Ford Motor Co. and the Chrysler Group, are also beginning the switch to new oil, known by its industry grading as GF-5 or SN, or, in GM’s case, Dexos1. The grade identifies oil that’s designed to help engines run more efficiently and better protect them from wear. Those are key properties as automakers wring more horsepower out of smaller engines and make greater use of heat-producing turbochargers and superchargers. The protection properties of the new oil also have the potential environmental benefit of increasing the mileage interval between recommended oil changes. What is not clear yet is just how much more the new oil will cost.

Tests make the differenceThe Dexos1 and GF-5 oils hit the market on Oct. 1. They replace the GF-4 standard from the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee, which has members from GM, Ford, Chrysler and the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association. The American Petroleum Institute uses the SN designation for the new oil. “GF-5 and Dexos1 oils have a more robust formulation that should give you better contributions to fuel economy, cleanliness and fuel emissions,” said Mark Ferner, manager of the lubricants technology group at Shell. The main difference between Dexos1, which is a GM-licensed brand, and GF-5 oils is testing, Ferner said. To be certified as GF-5, the oil needs to pass a variety of chemistry and engine tests set by the American Petroleum Institute. But GM’s testing for Dexos1 uses some tests mandated by the ACEA, the European automobile manufacturers association, in place of the American Petroleum Institute tests. For example, Dexos1 oil has to pass Mercedes-Benz’s sludge and fuel-economy tests and Opel’s test for the ability to work under foaming conditions, known as aeration. GF-5-certified oils that do not undergo the same tests are subjected to the American Petroleum Institute’s equivalent to be certified. GF-5 oil can be found in both conventional and synthetic formulations but Dexos1 can only be found as a synthetic, according to Shell, maker of the Pennzoil and Quaker State brands. In some cases, oil companies already have formulas that meet or exceed the Dexos1 and GF-5 specifications. For example, Shell’s Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability synthetics exceed both standards.

Driven by tighter regulations
Government regulations that call for lower exhaust emissions and higher fuel economy are the drivers behind the new generation of engine oil. GM’s powertrain fuel and lubrication engineers began working on Dexos1 in 2006. The goal was to set an oil specification that met the requirements of all GM vehicles and powertrains globally. GM also developed the Dexos2 oil specification for light-duty diesel engines. It was launched in Europe earlier this year. Dexos1 is designed to work with the engine-oil-life monitor in GM cars to increase the mileage between oil changes. “Dexos puts us in a position to try and optimize the drain intervals,” said Eric Johnson, a GM fuel and lubrication engineer who worked on the development of Dexos. GM does not specify a mileage life for Dexos1. It recommends that drivers change the engine oil when the oil-monitor system recommends, as oil life depends on driving conditions. However, Ford says it’s possible to go as long as 10,000 miles between oil changes with GF-5 oil. This is possible because Ford has made major improvements in the materials and technologies it uses in its engines, a spokesman said. Among the changes: greater use of aluminum for engine structural components and increasing the size of oil pans. Ford also uses an oil-life-monitoring system, which tells owners when it’s time for an oil change. “We have made improvements to our engines and want to use the best oil we can,” spokesman Richard Truett said.

Good for new and old cars
Dexos1 and GF-5 oils can be used in older cars. Owners still need to consult their owner’s manual to choose oil with the recommended viscosity. Consumers will find some bottles of oil with both the Dexos1 and GF-5 certification, said Ferner of Shell. He added that consumers will not notice an immediate difference after changing to a Dexos1 or GF-5 oil. Instead, the benefits are oil that better protects and cleans the engine over time. But beware if you’re tempted to use conventional oil in an engine that calls for the new specification. GM says not using Dexos1 oil may cause engine damage that would void the powertrain warranty.

Go to www.gmdexos.com for more information on GM’s Dexos oils, and see www.gf-5.com for information on GR-5 oil.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
pennor

Drives: 2011 2LT - 73 Corvette 454
Question

GF-5
DEXOS
AHHHH!!!!!

This oil thing is driving me nuts

So when I get to 3K for an oil change what should I do?
  1. Go to the dealer, have them change the oil and assume they know what to do. After all they keep records and if there's ever a warrantee issue it should come back on them?
  2. Try to find a DEXOS oil and change it myself, but not have records of the oil being changed or be able to verify what exact grade of oil was used each time should a warrantee issue arise?
  3. Take it to one of those quickie lub places, demand DEXOS oil and assume they will use it vs the GF-5 stuff and keep the receipts for that possible warrantee problem?
On the other hand will the GF-5 oils, which seem to be just as good eventually be accepted by GM? I've got lots of questions and 2000 miles to go before I have to figure them out. What do you guys think?
pennor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Amsoil 0w30 it's a life changer.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Sir Nuke knows too much...

Thanks for the info

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I've told you guys to google Dexos for a while now. It's a GM spec not an industry spec. Many of today's synthetics can't meet it.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
and where can we pick this up #3?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
MMaglione
Mike "Meage"

Drives: Aqua Blue 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via AIM to MMaglione
man why do the 2011 get all this cool stuff?!?! HUD, Onstar App, Oil...whats next they get to actually transform?!?!?!?!?!

http://azzzedout.tumblr.com/
MMaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennor View Post
GF-5
DEXOS
AHHHH!!!!!

1. Go to the dealer, have them change the oil and assume they know what to do. After all they keep records and if there's ever a warrantee issue it should come back on them?
  2. Try to find a DEXOS oil and change it myself, but not have records of the oil being changed or be able to verify what exact grade of oil was used each time should a warrantee issue arise?
  3. Take it to one of those quickie lub places, demand DEXOS oil and assume they will use it vs the GF-5 stuff and keep the receipts for that possible warrantee problem?
On the other hand will the GF-5 oils, which seem to be just as good eventually be accepted by GM? I've got lots of questions and 2000 miles to go before I have to figure them out. What do you guys think?
for starters, GF-5 is the API SPECIFICATION....just like you find on bottles of oil you can buy now. I'm talking about the API spec's listed below in teh picture.

Name:  OIL SPECS.jpg
Views: 2595
Size:  68.0 KB

as stated in the artical I found, there are quit a few available on the shelves, and if you don't find them...buy your oil at the dealer if it makes you feel better.

as far as documention goes, if you look in the back of your owners manual, there is a schedule for you to fill in the back when you or the dealers changes your oil/filter. and if you want, keep ALL your reciepts and put the in a book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I've told you guys to google Dexos for a while now. It's a GM spec not an industry spec. Many of today's synthetics can't meet it.
BINGO!! it goes ABOVE AND BEYOND regular API oil specs

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 10-20-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Does Mobil 1 meet this standard?
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
and where can we pick this up #3?
Mobil 1 meets the new Dexos1 spec.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Does Mobil 1 meet this standard?
yes
Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
GF-5
DEXOS
AHHHH!!!!!

Too many worries for a simple oil change. I would just go to your dealer and say - oil change please. They'll handle it just fine.

I think it's more to do with the industry moving toward global production. An engine plant that builds engines for all over the world, probably a good thing to have one spec oil. Build the engine anywhere, ship it anywhere.

Crest will probably come out with a global spec toothpaste soon. Will your teeth fall out if you use last year's spec Crest? No. But from a production standpoint, ship the same stuff everywere in the world = efficiency.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
MaddogZ28

Drives: 2002 Camaro Z28, 2011 SS/RS
So correct me if i am wrong.

Am i to assume that Dex is just a "certification"? Thus i can buy 5w30 weight oil still, i just have to make sure it has a "dex" label or certification on it?
MaddogZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #14
SchwarzerDrache
No, it is not an SS

Drives: SIM 2LT/RS
Quote:

The fist thing is don't change your oil every 3k. That is a myth. Follow GM's instructions for oil changes. Use the recomended Mobil 1 and you will be fine.
SchwarzerDrache is offline   Reply With Quote