Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
J-ROD-210

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT A6
RP Differential

Is anyone using Royal Purple Max Gear with friction modifier? I just changed my differential oil using RP with friction modifier and now I'm getting a grinding noise.I completely removed my mufflers at the same time because they were loose at the muffler to high flow cat connection. Now that the mufflers are further in than before,I thought that one of the pipes is touching the drive shaft. Do you guys think I should add more friction modifier even though the bottle says it has some already?or How do I know if muffler pipes rubbing on drive shaft rubber grommet?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
You will need to add modifier, even with RP having the modifier in it.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
J-ROD-210

Thanks babytiger.I have it in hand but wasn't sure if I should add some.I think it's 4oz but will add just half.I just hope it's the right friction modifier.I bought it without referring to the manual and was the only one on the Pep Boys shelf.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
babytiger
it's hers...

You'll be fine. I just use the modifier O'reillys sells next to the RP. I had this same issue when I changed mine the first time.
There will be some chime in saying to use another fluid to eliminate this....
I'm good with RP.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Add the modifier even though Royal Turdple supposedly has it in it.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
babytiger
it's hers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpizzle007 View Post
or don't and be fine, it's up to you. no issues here.
yeah, he's right. some have used RP and not added the modifier and had no trouble.
just like there are some of us who have convertibles with no issues.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I will regurgitate what I have posted many times already about this subject once again for the clown/peanut gallery that just can't grasp the facts and then reply with blah blah blah about how they didn't need to add any extra friction modifier.

Adding extra friction modifier to ANY dif fluid that "says" it has it in it already is not going to hurt a thing and is needed in some cases. Even though the rearends are mass produced on the same assy line, that doesn't mean crap. They can and will react differently once they are installed in the end product.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Add it, then do a dozen slow figure 8s in a parking lot. You want to work in the additive to the clutch plates right after adding it. The noise will be gone after the firgure 8s.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
J-ROD-210

Thanks for all the advice guys.I added friction modifier but I also found that I pushed the mufflers too far into the longtubes that the mufflers were touching a bolt from the front sub-frame brace thus giving me vibrations in pedals.All good now,but my catch can fitting loose. I don't want to start another thread. Help,please. If I tighten up the fitting it will face the wrong way.Any advice on what type of sealant I can use around the fitting to get a good seal.It's an RX catch can and the fitting is the one that goes back into the throttle body.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ROD-210 View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys.I added friction modifier but I also found that I pushed the mufflers too far into the longtubes that the mufflers were touching a bolt from the front sub-frame brace thus giving me vibrations in pedals.All good now,but my catch can fitting loose. I don't want to start another thread. Help,please. If I tighten up the fitting it will face the wrong way.Any advice on what type of sealant I can use around the fitting to get a good seal.It's an RX catch can and the fitting is the one that goes back into the throttle body.
I would try some thread tape.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote