Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Enchurito

Drives: A horrible condition Subaru GL 1987
Which one should I get.

I've been seriously considering this car ever since I saw a 2010 Synergy Special Edition. At this point I have a job where I feel I can finally get a 2011. I want a 2LT in Synergy Green. I can get one exactly as I want for MSRP of 32700.

Now one of the guys at work who's driven tons of cars and used to own an Infinity G35 coupe has been telling me I am stupid and will regret it forever if I don't get the SS. However I don't see the point in spending about 10000 more to get the same features that would be on the 2SS to make it the same but the V8. I am mostly buying this car for the fact that I like how it looks. I have never owned anything with real power and the most powerful car I have ever even driven is a mid 90's BMW 318IS.

I plan to get an automatic with the sunroof, RS, green accent panels (if I can), gray leather, gray stripes, and the spare tire. The V6 is WAY more power than anything I've owned by far. It gets better gas milage, its cheaper, runs on normal or mid grade gas, and if I REALLY want to I can eventually turbo it. Plus with the money saved I can add the radio, metra (or the alpine kit), sub, led sequential tail lights, and make it a 2LT with the HUD.

Is there a reason to get the V8 instead, is it really that much better?
Enchurito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
If you've never had a V8 - I think you'll be delighted with the V6. Unless you're going to drag race - .........

The other thing: Insurance costs are less on the V6..........

Reality? Go to your local Chevrolet dealer and drive one of each - and then decide........either way, we think you're gonna LOVE your new Camaro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchurito View Post
I've been seriously considering this car ever since I saw a 2010 Synergy Special Edition. At this point I have a job where I feel I can finally get a 2011. I want a 2LT in Synergy Green. I can get one exactly as I want for MSRP of 32700.

Now one of the guys at work who's driven tons of cars and used to own an Infinity G35 coupe has been telling me I am stupid and will regret it forever if I don't get the SS. However I don't see the point in spending about 10000 more to get the same features that would be on the 2SS to make it the same but the V8. I am mostly buying this car for the fact that I like how it looks. I have never owned anything with real power and the most powerful car I have ever even driven is a mid 90's BMW 318IS.

I plan to get an automatic with the sunroof, RS, green accent panels (if I can), gray leather, gray stripes, and the spare tire. The V6 is WAY more power than anything I've owned by far. It gets better gas milage, its cheaper, runs on normal or mid grade gas, and if I REALLY want to I can eventually turbo it. Plus with the money saved I can add the radio, metra (or the alpine kit), sub, led sequential tail lights, and make it a 2LT with the HUD.

Is there a reason to get the V8 instead, is it really that much better?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
mfr1950

Drives: 2011 challengerR/T , 2010 Ram R/T
I have a V 6,i'm totally happy with it, Get what YOU want, not what some guy at work thinks you should have,Its your money......
mfr1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Drive both. It won't be hard to tell the difference.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
whatever you get, you will love it, just the point of owning a new Camaro is all that matters.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Enchurito

I've never even driven a v6 car. Even the BMW was a 4 cylinder. All 3 cars I've owned were Horizontially Oposed 4 cylinder subarus. So a V6 will be already more by far than I've even driven. Plus his other argument is "For the money you spend on a decked out V6 you could get a base V8 and then personalize it" bah..
Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
Autobots
Roll out!

Drives: 2010 ss/rs ls3
yup what ever you get you will never look back.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
I just traded in a Black RS for a 2SS/RS convertible. I should have bought the SS to start with but if I had I wouldn't have the convertible now. Having said all that though I doubt you'll be disappointed if you get the V6.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
V-8 .....I all most did the v-6 so glad I did'nt...Theres no substitue for HP......
Old 03-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
n5jws

Drives: 2011 VR SS/RS M6
Take a 2LT for a test drive, and let us know how that works out. It will put a smile on your face.
ARH Headers
High Flow Cats
JRE Tune
n5jws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
Enchurito

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodj View Post
I just traded in a Black RS for a 2SS/RS convertible. I should have bought the SS to start with but if I had I wouldn't have the convertible now. Having said all that though I doubt you'll be disappointed if you get the V6.
Me too, and on a strange note I used to live in huntsville.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #12
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
If your young......the brass ring will come around more than once...my2...
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchurito View Post
Me too, and on a strange note I used to live in huntsville.
I used to work at White Sands Missile Range. Lots of connections between Huntsville and New Mexico.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #14
Grandeos
Automotive Designer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
Get what you can afford. But that being said.... if you really a "gear-head" then just go big and get the V8! You will not regret it.

I bought my 2010 2LT/RS (V6 w/ Automatic) almost 2 years ago, and I thought it would be fast enough for what I wanted. I convinced myself it was the better purchase... for the exact same reasons you listed. However.... after the "newness" wore off.... I desired more. Also, if fuel economy is your main reason, know that if you do "spirited driving" as I always do, you will more than likely see an average around 18mpg. Nowhere near the advertised 29mpg. So keep that in mind.

Once I test drove both SS models, L99 auto, and LS3 manual... the difference was much more noticeable with the manual. The auto felt a bit dull and not as powerful. So needless to say, once I got to 3rd gear in the LS3, I was sold. I ordered my 2011 2SS/RS last week. This time I will have no regrets....