Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
To all nurses, doctors, EMTs, et al. - Stethoscope question.

I started my EMT classes today (going to get my EMT-B and EMT-I this semester and then decide if I want to go for EMT-P or finish my BSN (prenursing student at OU right now) and try to become a flight nurse) and I need a stethoscope. I'm looking for a good one at a decent price, that does a good job at blocking out road noise and whatnot. Trying to keep the price at or about 100 dollars.

I've been reading reviews and right now I'm looking at the Litmann Master Classic II - it seems to be highly liked, high quality, durable (3 year warranty), and can be had at only 91 dollars.

Anybody have any experience with this particular brand or model? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Any other recommended stethoscopes based on personal preference, and why (pros, cons, etc)? I don't want to spend too much in case it gets lost or stolen, but I want it to work well and last a while.

Thanks!
- X

P.S. - Also, I'm not looking for advice at the moment on EMT-P vs BSN, so please do not offer it. Please keep all comments to the subject of stethoscopes. Thanks!

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Old 01-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
nova

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, VR, PW, WR
Don't know if it helps you or not but my wife is a Doc and we bought her this one after someone jacked hers from the residents lounge. She seems to like it a lot...

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ardiology/III/

Mods:
skip shift eliminator (hey everybody's gotta start somewhere )
crappily painted engine cover...
Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova View Post
Don't know if it helps you or not but my wife is a Doc and we bought her this one after someone jacked hers from the residents lounge. She seems to like it a lot...

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ardiology/III/
Yeah, I was looking at that one and its just a bit outside of my price range...
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Old 01-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
KateVrroom

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
Ive been a nurse for over 20yrs and i can tell you its not the scope its the skill of the person using it. I was a flight nurse too and no amount of noise reduction will help you. you have to rely of other senses at that point, something you will learn when/if the time comes.
Your scope will be lost or stolen many times in your career, don't blow a lot of money on it. Just get a basic one and learn how to use it well.
Good luck with your choices.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
When I was an EMT, I Preferred the low cost dual tube design, like this one:

http://www.dixieems.com/Dixie-Spragu...s&cp=5&pid=720
Old 01-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
redlightroxy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS, 2006 Malibu
X,

I have a Littmann Cardiology III. Superior performance, relatively lightweight, etc. I love it. I don't recommend any brand but Littman.

Now, I realize you've already said that it's just out of your price range - but I want you to consider a few things when looking into a stethoscope.

First, this is an investment. You (usually) only buy one and maybe replace it once or (god-forbid) twice in your lifetime. You want the one you buy to be good. An extra forty bucks may make a difference... it may prevent you from spending more later.

Second, you want to think about what you will be using it for. You are EMT/pre-nursing now. That means you want lightweight, flexibility, and a steth that is going to be useful on patients of all shapes and sizes, including pediatrics.

That being said, I think you have chosen an excellent steth in the master classic II. However, something I want you to consider is that it does not have a pediatric side. It has a tunable diaphragm that allows you to listen to high and low frequencies by altering your pressure upon the diaphragm, but it does not give you the option of a smaller diaphram for pediatrics. Does it matter? Maybe not for you in the short-term. However, long term, if you end up doing a lot of peds (which, in my experience in my ED, the majority of the patients we flight are peds patients) you may want to consider the Cardiology III with the peds and adult diaphragm.

Also, see if you can try out your EMT instructors and nurse instructors steths to get a feel for what you like and what sound quality each has.

Just my thoughts!! Please pm me with any questions. I hope this helps and gives you something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
You know you're addicted to Camaro5 when you hear that song being played over the radio and immediately think of redlightroxy.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:23 AM   #7
5thedmaro

Drives: Imperial blue metallic
ultrascope

www.ultrascopes.com

personally I think they are the best.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #8
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Roxy FTW
Old 01-08-2010, 02:27 AM   #9
DaveT

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM LS3
Listen to Kate. As an EMT you do not need a spendy stethoscope. Either they are sick or they aren't. You eventually can tell by looking at them in 2 seconds. I had a Cardiology II SE I carried in nursing school that worked well. I haven't carried one at all in my last 10 years in the ER. That's where the other senses she refers to come in.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
Having been an nurse assistant, EMT then medic, and now MD I still have the Cardiology III and bet you would be very happy with it. It can't be much more and you actually can work/switch as a larger diaphram to a smaller diaphram which could be used for adult vs peds in the medic field. Don't buy a cheap one you may see elsewhere. This is one of those things that you want to buy quality or don't buy one.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
Listen to Kate. As an EMT you do not need a spendy stethoscope. Either they are sick or they aren't. You eventually can tell by looking at them in 2 seconds. I had a Cardiology II SE I carried in nursing school that worked well. I haven't carried one at all in my last 10 years in the ER. That's where the other senses she refers to come in.
As a patient, if I'm in the ER, I'm going to trust the doctor with proper equipment over the Jedi doctor who can tell what's wrong by looking at me.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
camaroincarolina

Drives: 1SS Aqua Blue Metallic
You simply cannot go wrong with any Litmann

JHP, CMA
Old 01-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #13
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
+1 for littmann. My dad is an anesthesiologist, and my mom is a nurse and that is the only brand that they use. When I graduated nursing school they bought me a Master Cardiology stethescope as a graduation present and it's really really nice.
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
Old 01-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #14
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
As a patient, if I'm in the ER, I'm going to trust the doctor with proper equipment over the Jedi doctor who can tell what's wrong by looking at me.

Seriously.
NO offense but I hope I never need to be rushed to the hospital when you're on duty. I would rather have a someone thouroughly check me out than have someone that has a sixth sense for telling how sick someone is.
I hope you take a more proffesional approach to your work because you have the lives of people on your hands.