Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #1
richard grimsley
GRIM

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Trashed bearings ~

Has anyone come across this situation?

Considering this Z/28 has 14,554 miles currently- was purchased in August ‘18 with 13,388 miles -was serviced upon purchase -all 100% stock with no modifications.

I took my Z in for the inspection of the heads, when the cam was pulled excessive were was discovered on the cam bearings and cam journals. Now, I am in concern of the main and rod bearings.

Has anyone had similar circumstances? Would anyone have any ideas for reasons for this bearing damage?

V/R
Attached Images

richard grimsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
_Chigga

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #225 Red
My car is very close to your mileage, 16k right now. 2 months ago, I had a issue of my lifters, the dealer did some digging found cam was pitting. They replaced under warranty.
_Chigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:59 AM   #3
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
You're asking for uneducated guesses? Here goes; an oil related failure with the dry sump oiling system and all the bearings are trashed and need replacement. Rings too while you're there.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:22 AM   #4
hjdca

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black
Guesses - oil circulation issue, maybe RPM redlining while oil is too cold ? or maybe assembly issue, pre-lube missing on cam ?
hjdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:25 AM   #5
hjdca

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Chigga View Post
My car is very close to your mileage, 16k right now. 2 months ago, I had a issue of my lifters, the dealer did some digging found cam was pitting. They replaced under warranty.
Was the pitting caused by excess moisture ? or excessive wear ?

What was the symptoms of your lifter issue ? ticking or noise ?
Old 02-12-2019, 06:26 AM   #6
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
You take it into the dealer? Escalate the claim, since it's under warranty. If cam bearings are shot other bearings could be too. New motor most likely from GM. They won't be pulling the motor and rebuilding it
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:34 AM   #7
richard grimsley
GRIM

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Thank you for all responses. Well, I haven’t raced this vehicle, nor I have red-lined or operated this Vic to the extreme in cold or that not at full operation temperatures. Since purchasing this Z, I have driven 10k miles, majority from dealership. Now, that is a excellent point in regards to Redline while cold but, if this was to have happened, it would have happened with previous owner and or dealerships lack of knowledge mishandling/ care of equipment. However, caveat to this, I would presume if damage was here on the main journals and this visible damage would be on the cam lobes as well. Since the oil test results were normal, I am more persuaded to believe the cam was not properly lubed during assembly or engine brake-in procedures were not exercised properly. But, this is merely my thoughts based off of what I have learned over the years and the Camaro enthusiasts assistance/ input.
richard grimsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard grimsley View Post
Thank you for all responses. Well, I haven’t raced this vehicle, nor I have red-lined or operated this Vic to the extreme in cold or that not at full operation temperatures. Since purchasing this Z, I have driven 10k miles, majority from dealership. Now, that is a excellent point in regards to Redline while cold but, if this was to have happened, it would have happened with previous owner and or dealerships lack of knowledge mishandling/ care of equipment. However, caveat to this, I would presume if damage was here on the main journals and this visible damage would be on the cam lobes as well. Since the oil test results were normal, I am more persuaded to believe the cam was not properly lubed during assembly or engine brake-in procedures were not exercised properly. But, this is merely my thoughts based off of what I have learned over the years and the Camaro enthusiasts assistance/ input.
+1
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
_Chigga

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #225 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdca View Post
Was the pitting caused by excess moisture ? or excessive wear ?

What was the symptoms of your lifter issue ? ticking or noise ?
Lifters were just ticking, sounded abnormal, first I thought it was normal then it got louder and louder as I drove it. Pitting was just caused by revving high when temps were low. Pretty much same as Richard stated before, I've only driving this car for about 4000 miles nor have I raced this car. Maybe is due to mishandling by the previous owners or dealerships.
_Chigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #10
MX621

Drives: 2014 z28
I’ve noticed the oil temps on the street only ever get up to 180deg or so. No matter how I drive it. Kinda concerns me a little because it never gets hot enough to boil off any moisture/condensation. My c5z oil temp lived at 210-220 oil temp all the time so it was never a problem.
MX621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #11
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX621 View Post
I’ve noticed the oil temps on the street only ever get up to 180deg or so. No matter how I drive it. Kinda concerns me a little because it never gets hot enough to boil off any moisture/condensation. My c5z oil temp lived at 210-220 oil temp all the time so it was never a problem.
At GM we had a procedure for that. When I lived in MI and it was really cold out and I wanted to get it to OP temp I do it.

Let it idle for as long as it can, it should level out at 170 or so, start driving it around, get some highway if you can, then give it a quick burst through the RPM. Pull off the highway and park it against a building nose first. The fan can kick on but it will only pull air from...no where. It will get hotter than normal.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #12
hjdca

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard grimsley View Post
Just out of curiosity, which GM mechanic built your motor ?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:24 AM   #13
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
What does GM do with these warranty motors? I'd love to have this one.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #14
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
At GM we had a procedure for that. When I lived in MI and it was really cold out and I wanted to get it to OP temp I do it.

Let it idle for as long as it can, it should level out at 170 or so, start driving it around, get some highway if you can, then give it a quick burst through the RPM. Pull off the highway and park it against a building nose first. The fan can kick on but it will only pull air from...no where. It will get hotter than normal.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think the oil had to get to 212F for any moisture evaporate. The heat built up by you driving for a while would be enough for the water to evaporate. The air flow through the crankcase and through the PCV valve will draw the moisture off as well, correct?

I always felt the real danger is the condensation in the crankcase when making very short drives of 2 or 3 miles and letting the engine cool off and repeating this on a daily basis, never letting the engine come to full operating temperture and water will continue to collect.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I have had many engines last well over 100k miles and almost never, if ever, run oil temps of over 212F. (I.e. V8 daily drivers)
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote