Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
GrinderSS
Account Suspended

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
Question Pfadt Engine Mounts

Hey guys, if anyone has the Pfadt engine mounts can you tell me how much more vibration you feel inside the car if any? I was going to buy a set, but if it increases vibration then I'll pass. I'm particularly concerned about it since my engine has a bit of a lope to it.

Thanks in advance!
GrinderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
The Pfadt mounts can add a very small amount of vibration at idle, other than that you wouldn't feel any ill effects. With your cam you'd think it would be rougher right, it actually limits the movement and keeps everything in place. I was blown away, same car with a stock cam created more vibration. I think it keeps the engine where it is supposed to be opposed to the soft OE mounts allowing the engine to flop around. The benefits far out weight the very slight negative...

Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
When I first put mine in I almost shat when I first started the car up, contacted Aaron Pfadt and he indicated they would quickly settle in and they did. There is a little bit more vibration at idle (and I mean very little) and if you lug it will punish you a bit more, the key is to get over the initial "holy crap it vibrates like hell" and give them a week or two to settle in. I definitely felt the improvement in how the car reacts to the throttle, no more mushy feeling. I put mine in very early on in preparation for supercharging which I haven't done yet but the mounts are ready for it

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
CRUSHER2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have had my Pfadt mounts installed for almost 8 months now and they are fantastic. They have a bit more vibration in the beginning but after they settle in they are almost unnoticeable. I would not run without them now. Very good upgrade IMHO

2010 2SS/RS L99-Black-658RWHP 582Tq - Magnuson TVS 2300 SC -w/OD COG
LS3 Conversion - GT9 CAM - Ported Heads
ADM-Race CAI - GM ZL1 Heater Hose Kit- KB BAP
Kooks-1 7/8 LT Headers, Corsa-Cat-back
Tune ECM & TCM - VMAX Ported TB - Posi Mod -
Pfadt - Drag Coilovers, Motor mnts, Trailing Arms, Camber Plate, Control Arm Stiffeners, F&R Bushing, Pfadt ZL1 Balance/Sway bars, Sub frame, Diff bushing
Nitto-NT05R DRs 315/35R20
ZL1 Prototype Wheels (10's Ft & 11s Rear) - RB Front Rotors
MPD1 Spoiler
CRUSHER2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertway View Post
When I first put mine in I almost shat when I first started the car up, contacted Aaron Pfadt and he indicated they would quickly settle in and they did. There is a little bit more vibration at idle (and I mean very little) and if you lug it will punish you a bit more, the key is to get over the initial "holy crap it vibrates like hell" and give them a week or two to settle in. I definitely felt the improvement in how the car reacts to the throttle, no more mushy feeling. I put mine in very early on in preparation for supercharging which I haven't done yet but the mounts are ready for it
This is a very good description of what to expect.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
Do they really settle in? or do you just get used to it.......they are solid correct?
Old 11-18-2010, 05:16 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthowdy View Post
Do they really settle in? or do you just get used to it.......they are solid correct?
Yes. They are not completely solid, they utilize a black "hat style" polyurethane bushing to isolate the connection between the top and bottom main components. If they were completely solid they would be too much for a street car but these are very street-able, just more connected.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthowdy View Post
The definitely settle in as APEX points out they are not totally solid and the bushing probably acts more to "give a little" and as a damper but I am no engineer so that is a layman's opinion. When they first went in the vibration was very unsettling for me and I thought there was no way in hell I could leave them in there as it wasn't something I thought I could get used to. I even went ahead and pulled them out and put the stock mounts back in until I conversed with Aaron and he indicated to give them some time so I put them back in and have never looked back. The upside is I have the mount swap process down to about 25 minutes from wheels up to wheels down I've had some much practice

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
spacecowby

Drives: 2010 black 2SS/RS
These come with the drag racing package, but what is the benefit of changing the mounts. I thought they would hold the engine in place more, especially cammed ones, but from what I'm reading they actually vibrate more. Or am I wrong?

Black cars are not hobbies, they are an obsession
spacecowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowby View Post
These come with the drag racing package, but what is the benefit of changing the mounts. I thought they would hold the engine in place more, especially cammed ones, but from what I'm reading they actually vibrate more. Or am I wrong?
The engine is held in place, therefore, more vi ration is transmitted into the chassis and felt by the driver. The major benefits improved throttle response and reduced parasitic power loss but it also helps reduce the likelihood of breaking some things. For high power cars these are a must as the soft stock mounts will wear out quickly.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
How fast do the stock motor mounts wear out? I'm looking at this mod as well.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
GrinderSS
Account Suspended

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
I have not installed mine yet, but I'm going to use a nifty little app for my iPhone that measures vibration to compare before and after. Here is the stock measurement from not running through startup and idle.

*** UPDATE ***
I just finished installing the mounts and all I can say is . Not only is the vibration throughout the car intense but there is more engine noise inside the cabin. I find it hard to believe these are going to settle in to the extent that they are bearable; the feel of the car went to hell with these mounts.

Here is the second vibration measurement graph, you can see the vibration magnitude is approx. 4x higher
Attached Images

Last edited by GrinderSS; 11-19-2010 at 07:07 PM.
GrinderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #13
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw77 View Post
How fast do the stock motor mounts wear out? I'm looking at this mod as well.
For the average Camaro you will not have to worry about it anytime soon. For the guys making serious power it is more of a concern.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrinderSS View Post
I have not installed mine yet, but I'm going to use a nifty little app for my iPhone that measures vibration to compare before and after. I'll post the results.
That will be interesting. Be sure to repeat it after a few weeks.