Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Flowmaster Drone on LS3 - Resolved (see thread below)!

I'm new to this forum/Camaro's in general. I just bought my 2012 SS LS3 less than 2 weeks back. I had a Flowmaster American Thunder 3" cat-back installed. I love the sound except on the highway when the drone kicks in at cruising speed (it goes away about 95mph ). The other solution of course is 5th gear.

I called around town (Houston, TX), and haven't found anyone who has actually installed the J-pipe/Helmholtz solution. Based on the Helmholtz chart, i would need a ~26" J-pipe...i'm not sure there is room under my car w/the American Thunder mufflers...the pictures on-line shows it with the Outlaw mufflers. Does the j-pipe solution quite the sound? Or simply tune out the drone?

One of the more knowledgable folks I talked to is recommending i install a Magnaflow dual 3" in/out muffler where the stock resonators used to be, of course that will quite it a bit, but he claims it will have no negative impact on performance.

I also have a CAI (from CAI inc) w/scoop coming in the mail. I've seen some post that imply the CAI may resolve the drone??? Doesn't make sense to me...should i wait to install my CAI prior to trying to resolve the drone?

Any expert recommendations? No need to recommend going back to the stock system. I want my cake and eat it too .

Last edited by PMJ; 06-10-2012 at 12:59 AM.
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
wontsellit

Drives: IOM
I'm so rarely in 6th it doesn't matter.Even then I like the sound just not for hundreds of miles. I have JBA hi flow cats,X pipe,resonator deleted and the flow masters.
wontsellit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Synner

Drives: cars
Tone won't change with the j-pipe just remove the drone if the correct length. An intake won't do anything for drone.

I'm sure it's possible to fit under there but you may need a custom made solution versus a pre-bent kit someone sells. A resonated x-pipe will quiet it down some and maybe reduce drone a bit but I doubt it'll remove it. The drone comes from the 3" pipe size and a lower speed exhaust flow area that causes turbulence. Dynomax has mufflers with internal valves that remove drone although I'm not personally too keen on putting a big valve in my exhaust.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Magnaflow resonated X pipe (looks like a muffler) will help.

I put a Flowmaster catback on my 99z28. That catback only lasted about 3 weeks on the car. I couldn't stand the drone at cruise speeds. Some don't mind it, while it drives some people crazy (like me).
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Dronemaster.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
The J pipes killed all the drone for me. The resonated x pipe, or another muffler, reduced the drone a little but killed the sound to much. One person on here did J pipes with the FM American thunder, just have to serach for it. Has pics, they go up and over the mufflers.
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
1sikRS

Drives: chevy
Anyone no why they used 40 series and not the 44s??/
1sikRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
the j pipe will cancel the drone. get er done.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Thank you all. I'm going to go with the j pipe. Now just need to find a place to do it. One more stupid question...is there something special about the "J". Or do I simply need any pipe around 26" +/- a few inches? I'm thinking an "L" may be easier to fit.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Here's a photo from post #242 on this topic showing Flowmaster AT's with j-pipes:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...102075&page=10

Hope this helps. I hate drone, too.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed585Lbs View Post
Here's a photo from post #242 on this topic showing Flowmaster AT's with j-pipes:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...102075&page=10
Thank you BigRed. The picture helps, but unfortunately it did not help the person who posted it. Which raises a few more questions I have as I'm trying to design my own solutions.

1. Size of the J-pipe (3" vs. smaller). In this picture they are using a much smaller size (but it didn't fixe the problem). Does the j-pipe need to match the 3" pipes?

I'm hoping his didn't work because he did not use 3" pipes to match his system, and it does not appear he used the Helmholtz chart...he was at 30", but complaining about 1800rpm drone (so i think he needs to shorten the j-pipes. I'm working on my own design, will post when i finish it for comments.

Here is the Helmholtz chart i'm refering to (i just realized the picture may have been on a V6...in which case the pipe is not long enough):

2. Can someone still clarify if the J-pipe needs to have a "J" at the end, or does it simply need to be the right length per the chart above? I'm planning to build a varible lenth pipe that can grow or shrink about 4". Looking to range between 25-29".
Old 05-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMJ View Post
Thank you BigRed. The picture helps, but unfortunately it did not help the person who posted it. Which raises a few more questions I have as I'm trying to design my own solutions.

1. Size of the J-pipe (3" vs. smaller). In this picture they are using a much smaller size (but it didn't fixe the problem). Does the j-pipe need to match the 3" pipes?

I'm hoping his didn't work because he did not use 3" pipes to match his system, and it does not appear he used the Helmholtz chart...he was at 30", but complaining about 1800rpm drone (so i think he needs to shorten the j-pipes. I'm working on my own design, will post when i finish it for comments.

Here is the Helmholtz chart i'm refering to (i just realized the picture may have been on a V6...in which case the pipe is not long enough):

2. Can someone still clarify if the J-pipe needs to have a "J" at the end, or does it simply need to be the right length per the chart above? I'm planning to build a varible lenth pipe that can grow or shrink about 4". Looking to range between 25-29".
That pic is from was the person I was refering to. Do research on all theJ pipe threads, but I dont think the shape matters from what I recall reading. You want the shape to the same side to side, same length and welded at the same spot also.I'v seen pics of straight and S shapes also.
Mine are in the 28.5-29.5" range and drone is dead in the 1500 rpm on uo range. Also not exact science as someone said if you have say drone at 1800 and you make the pipes that long per the chart, it kills drone +-300-400 rpm, 1800 being the mid point.
For the Pipe size 2.25-2.5" is fine. I used 2.25" as the outlaws are 2.5" dia on the axelback.
I have the Outlaws and they are way louder then American thunder, I tried it all, resonated x pipe, insulation, only worked a little, the pipes did it.Now I also had the stock LS3 resnators which help(axelback setup)Without them Mine is like a 2.5" piped catback.For me it popped to much and overall a bit loud on the freeway, not bad but just over the top, for me anyway, wasnt drone, just good old exhaust sound.Again Mine is louder then yours so you should be o.k. Besides numerous people have full blown systems on their cars and the J pipes did the trick.

I figure give it a try, if not you may want to get a Solo catback.

Hope this helps
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
I must be crazy I dont hear drone.....
Old 05-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
Sleez

Drives: 2010, 2LT, RS, 6M, ABM (#1893) SOLD
shape doesn't matter, length is where it's at, ahem!!!

it's also a good idea to make an end cap that gives you a bit of adjustment, +- an inch or two. the diameter effects the volume of air mass, and effects the usefulness a bit.

"When air is forced into a cavity, the pressure inside increases. When the external force pushing the air into the cavity is removed, the higher-pressure air inside will flow out. The cavity will be left at a pressure slightly lower than the outside, causing air to be drawn back in. This process repeats with the magnitude of the pressure changes decreasing each time.
The air in the port (the neck of the chamber) has mass. Since it is in motion, it possesses some momentum. A longer port would make for a larger mass, and vice-versa. The diameter of the port is related to the mass of air and the volume of the chamber. A port that is too small in area for the chamber volume will "choke" the flow while one that is too large in area for the chamber volume tends to reduce the momentum of the air in the port."

see more here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance
Sleez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drone, exhuast, flowmaster, ls3