Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-19-2020, 02:21 AM   #1
IntimidatorZ

Drives: 14 Silvy 1500 Z71; 20 Camaro ZLE M6
No Lift Shift on ZL1 1LE

So I was just over my break-in miles and thought I'd try out the no lift shift feature with a highway pull. I was in 3rd gear going to 4th and was watching the HUD and waited until between 5,500 and 6,000 RPM, I swear I had it WOT (possible I lifted a slight bit as I was pumped up and it's typically counter-intuitive to mash the gas when shifting a manual car) when I shifted with WOT I noticed the shift lights go red (don't believe they were flashing and didn't hear any banging off the limiter sound but couldn't tell what my RPMs went to). When I shifted it sounded almost like a louder backfire (did see on an SS thread that it's normal during a no lift shift) but I noticed coming off the clutch pedal seemed very harsh, almost jolting, seemingly causing shock to the drivetrain which leads me to believe I must not have executed the no lift shift correctly. Was it possible I let off the clutch too quick during the shift causing the bucking action? Input greatly appreciated! Thought of turning on the PDR and trying again so I could review what's happening while trying to execute but gotta be honest, I'm a bit nervous to try it again lol!
IntimidatorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #2
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
If you lifted at all that would disable it. It’s hard to push that pedal in without lifting! Too many years of doing it the old fashioned way.
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
You might have hit the rev limiter just as you shifted. As soon as I hit 6K is when I shift, with clutch to the floor. It’s a great feature. No missed shift worries.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #4
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntimidatorZ View Post
So I was just over my break-in miles and thought I'd try out the no lift shift feature with a highway pull. I was in 3rd gear going to 4th and was watching the HUD and waited until between 5,500 and 6,000 RPM, I swear I had it WOT (possible I lifted a slight bit as I was pumped up and it's typically counter-intuitive to mash the gas when shifting a manual car) when I shifted with WOT I noticed the shift lights go red (don't believe they were flashing and didn't hear any banging off the limiter sound but couldn't tell what my RPMs went to). When I shifted it sounded almost like a louder backfire (did see on an SS thread that it's normal during a no lift shift) but I noticed coming off the clutch pedal seemed very harsh, almost jolting, seemingly causing shock to the drivetrain which leads me to believe I must not have executed the no lift shift correctly. Was it possible I let off the clutch too quick during the shift causing the bucking action? Input greatly appreciated! Thought of turning on the PDR and trying again so I could review what's happening while trying to execute but gotta be honest, I'm a bit nervous to try it again lol!
First things first, the No Lift Shift feature on your car WORKS. It is an awesome feature and you will love it!

Your description, " but I noticed coming off the clutch pedal seemed very harsh, almost jolting, seemingly causing shock to the drivetrain" tells me you did "blip" the throttle just enough to not engage/disable the NLS feature. When I have used this feature, to me, it feels like an automatic shift. Of course, not as fast, but a smooth transition from the previous gear. Also, it has been my experience that our cars do not "bang" off the rev limiter like some of the imports. I have never kept the pedal mashed when I have hit the rev limiter, I always have let off on it. But it feels to me like someone just turned off the light switch. No noise, no nothing. Then I just shift into the next gear (with clutch and I'm already off the throttle) and carry on with pushing my car.

I'm sure that's not the best way to treat our cars, but I have gotten through it and she still "gets out of her own way" with no complaint.

This is how I do it. I hope this helps. The pedal is mashed to the floor (I almost stand on it). I watch the HUD and when it hits 6000, I stab the clutch and shift gears forcefully (the HUD tach lags a little, so you are above 6000rpm). I do not side-step the clutch, but I let it up as fast as I can. And as I said earlier, the shift is smooth - not kinda smooth, not a little smooth - it is SMOOTH and she just keeps on pulling.

Concentrate on your right foot and you will love it.
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntimidatorZ View Post
You are definitely not alone and may also want to read this official response to a similar NLS question from (then) chief Camaro engineer Al Oppenheiser: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513327

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #6
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
does the 2018 ZLE have this feature???

I don't remember seeing it anywhere in my owner's manual.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:34 PM   #7
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Every Corvette/Camaro manual since roughly 2009 have had it. Z28, ZL1s (Both gens), all Corvettes, etc. You must be 100% WOT the whole time and quickly clutch-shift-clutch. It works and it's awesome.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLe View Post
First things first, the No Lift Shift feature on your car WORKS. It is an awesome feature and you will love it!

Your description, " but I noticed coming off the clutch pedal seemed very harsh, almost jolting, seemingly causing shock to the drivetrain" tells me you did "blip" the throttle just enough to not engage/disable the NLS feature. When I have used this feature, to me, it feels like an automatic shift. Of course, not as fast, but a smooth transition from the previous gear. Also, it has been my experience that our cars do not "bang" off the rev limiter like some of the imports. I have never kept the pedal mashed when I have hit the rev limiter, I always have let off on it. But it feels to me like someone just turned off the light switch. No noise, no nothing. Then I just shift into the next gear (with clutch and I'm already off the throttle) and carry on with pushing my car.

I'm sure that's not the best way to treat our cars, but I have gotten through it and she still "gets out of her own way" with no complaint.

This is how I do it. I hope this helps. The pedal is mashed to the floor (I almost stand on it). I watch the HUD and when it hits 6000, I stab the clutch and shift gears forcefully (the HUD tach lags a little, so you are above 6000rpm). I do not side-step the clutch, but I let it up as fast as I can. And as I said earlier, the shift is smooth - not kinda smooth, not a little smooth - it is SMOOTH and she just keeps on pulling.

Concentrate on your right foot and you will love it.
Good description. OP, Once you learn it you will be amazed. It does feel instantaneous, much like an auto trans. Your car will hardly slow between shifts.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:36 PM   #9
Zl1+911

Drives: 997 GTS, ZL1 A10, ZLEM6, ZLEA10
Just did not know this ....amazing ...have to use on track
Zl1+911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:22 PM   #10
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
This is what NLS looks and sounds like from inside a Mustang duly taken to gapplebees: https://youtu.be/4o22B6WIzhY?t=86

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:24 AM   #11
IntimidatorZ

Drives: 14 Silvy 1500 Z71; 20 Camaro ZLE M6
Hey thanks a bunch to all you guys for the replies! Yeah I had a suspicion I may have slightly lifted at some point during the shift because I just couldn't see it being that harsh of a gear change if I executed it correctly (felt more like what I would imagine an old school power shift would feel like). I was reading up on it before trying it on my car in that "Ask Al" topic about the NLS feature and as you guys also referenced, you HAVE to be at 100% WOT and I knew this going in but I must have chickened out at some point and slightly lifted during the attempt. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and wished I had put on the PDR to record (of course had the SD card in it and all just didn't record that quick cruise session I went on) because I could've had the track overlay on it to see my exact throttle input during the NLS attempt.

I agree it is frustrating that the NLS feature is not being more readily advertised but then again, it's kind of a microcosm of the lack of advertising for the Camaro on a whole. It's frustrating as a life long Camaro fan that this car wasn't given the marketing it's deserved for it being a world class performance car particularly at its price point! It's crazy to me, and saw that someone on another thread commented on this very thing, that at car shows I have people constantly ask, "So when did you add the cannards?" or "So does the car come like this, with the wing and all?" and I go "Oh no/yeah, everything you see on this car comes from the factory this way". I feel like the engineers left no stone left unturned and it's just a shame more people, especially in the car community, don't even know what it is.

I might just need to give it another go with the PDR recording this time! I feel like our cars can take a bit of abuse but, what are the thoughts on overall health of drivetrain components for continued epic fails at no lift shifting?
IntimidatorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #12
Robster

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1, 6M
After reading this and other postings I went ahead and tried the NLS.

WHOOA!!!! This feature is AWESOME!!! Took a bit to un-train myself to not lift but WOW. Exhilarating is all I can say for now. Gotta get to the track now! Scared the crap out of my buddy in the passenger seat.

Edit: Didn't feel abusive or jerky on the driveline when done right.

Last edited by Robster; 10-14-2020 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Added a missing bit
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #13
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
I gave up on it. It works fine, but my mind doesn’t. I found myself rushing shifts or lifting. Couldn’t break the old habit so I decided to quit before I screwed up.
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:29 PM   #14
Robster

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1, 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
I gave up on it. It works fine, but my mind doesn’t. I found myself rushing shifts or lifting. Couldn’t break the old habit so I decided to quit before I screwed up.
It's like dancing... takes a bit of practice. I'm hooked. Made the acceleration/pull that much more wicked.

Just stand on the gas pedal, lock your knee, watch the revs. Worst case you bump the limiter.

Sounded like I was ripping PDK shifts!
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote