Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2018, 03:16 AM   #1
PFL
 
PFL's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eua
Posts: 322
spark plug NGK BR7ef or TR7ix, which is the best?

I am in doubt between these 2 plugs. I'm going with Procharger between 18psi and 20psi. every plug has its benefits. I'll be using 032 gap. E85 fuel. I accept suggestions

Last edited by PFL; 11-18-2018 at 01:40 PM.
PFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
BiggFoot

 
BiggFoot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 900+ HP SBE
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,269
Hmmm sounds a lot like my set-up. My shop switched to NGK 4554 plugs because of my Brodix heads. Turns out these plugs have one additional set of threads on it which is needed on the Brodix head.

Whatever you decide on, with that psi and power range you should be looking at an 8 heat range plug, not 7.

You DID ask for opinions
__________________
F-1X, Cog Drive, ATI Super Pulley/Sprag restriction limited to 16-17 psi
Blower Cam
Brodix BP BR 3 Heads
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Twin Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile


BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
Rob10CamaroSS
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 Redline Phase 4
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Selden, NY
Posts: 109
Thats a nice amount of boost and boy oh boy it's going to be an ANIMAL

I dont want to start a Plug War and I cant disagree with BiggFoot and his BEAST but I do have a lot of experience (good & bad) with Boost and Spark Plugs so I can give you my personal experience. I've tried BR7's at least 4 or 5 times and I frigging hate them; they idle like sh!t, have low RPM misses, and they made my 2010 Camaro run like crap, but yes they work great at WOT. Because it's a non projected tip spark plug it's also very forgiving for Boost (and N20) so I do get why so many tuners and people use them.

To me nothing is smoother than Denso Iridium but the price is high and they are very fragile to high boost and N20 so I stopped using them. What I have found is if the tune is right, you have the right flowing fuel system & A/F, you should be able to adjust for higher boost with a smaller gap (which of course is also a trade off). I ran TR6's on 25lbs of boost on a Twin Screw Supercharger on a 9 second daily driver 5000lb pickup truck, and had the same TR6's in there for 3 years.

My Camaro has a Procharger D1 at @ 9lbs of boost and it had BR7's whan I bought it. I swear to you without me even looking I immediately knew it had BR7's just from the bad idle and low rpm misses. I immediately put TR6's in at 032 and it was like a different vehicle, I even called the original owner and told him you need to come by and drive it now, it's a totally different car. This is now the 2nd year with the same plugs and I drive it Very Hard every time I drive it.

I'm not saying put 6's in by no means, I'm just giving you my experiences with many supercharged vehicles and spark plugs. I would say you may have to try a couple of different plugs and gaps to find what works best FOR YOU, but just because you add more boost the answer is not always to go colder.
__________________
2012 ZL1 w/ Redline Phase 4 Gen 5 ZL1 Performance Package @650 RWHP
Rob10CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
PFL
 
PFL's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eua
Posts: 322
Thanks biggfoot congratulations for the car.
Rob10camaross thanks for the explanation. wanted to hit the correct plug. I'm going to limit boost to a Th400 transmission. I have a long way to go. I'm using MSD cables, some say go to granatelli. Anyone else could tell which plug you are using for this boost level?

Last edited by PFL; 11-18-2018 at 01:41 PM.
PFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #5
BiggFoot

 
BiggFoot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 900+ HP SBE
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,269
Gents, you can take anything I say, chew up the meat, and spit out the bones cause I don't know that much about tweaking cars, only about what has been done to mine (by the shop, not me).

All I know is a number of years ago there was a gent here that blew the top off a couple of his pistons. He was pushing about 13 psi on a Maggie plus NOS and whether or not too hot of a plug was the issue, at least that is what he thought. I discussed with my shop on my last jump with the Maggie to 13 psi boost and E85 at almost 800 hp, we switched from a 7 to 8 heat range plug and I am still running the 8 now with the F-1X at about 16 psi.
__________________
F-1X, Cog Drive, ATI Super Pulley/Sprag restriction limited to 16-17 psi
Blower Cam
Brodix BP BR 3 Heads
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Twin Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile


BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:54 AM   #6
fleebag
 
fleebag's Avatar
 
Drives: Moneypit
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tx
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob10CamaroSS View Post
Thats a nice amount of boost and boy oh boy it's going to be an ANIMAL

I dont want to start a Plug War and I cant disagree with BiggFoot and his BEAST but I do have a lot of experience (good & bad) with Boost and Spark Plugs so I can give you my personal experience. I've tried BR7's at least 4 or 5 times and I frigging hate them; they idle like sh!t, have low RPM misses, and they made my 2010 Camaro run like crap, but yes they work great at WOT. Because it's a non projected tip spark plug it's also very forgiving for Boost (and N20) so I do get why so many tuners and people use them.

To me nothing is smoother than Denso Iridium but the price is high and they are very fragile to high boost and N20 so I stopped using them. What I have found is if the tune is right, you have the right flowing fuel system & A/F, you should be able to adjust for higher boost with a smaller gap (which of course is also a trade off). I ran TR6's on 25lbs of boost on a Twin Screw Supercharger on a 9 second daily driver 5000lb pickup truck, and had the same TR6's in there for 3 years.

My Camaro has a Procharger D1 at @ 9lbs of boost and it had BR7's whan I bought it. I swear to you without me even looking I immediately knew it had BR7's just from the bad idle and low rpm misses. I immediately put TR6's in at 032 and it was like a different vehicle, I even called the original owner and told him you need to come by and drive it now, it's a totally different car. This is now the 2nd year with the same plugs and I drive it Very Hard every time I drive it.

I'm not saying put 6's in by no means, I'm just giving you my experiences with many supercharged vehicles and spark plugs. I would say you may have to try a couple of different plugs and gaps to find what works best FOR YOU, but just because you add more boost the answer is not always to go colder.
Omg I feel exactly the same on the BR7's, I swap around between the TR7 and the BR's. Idle is definitely a little worse with the BR.
IMHO the simple copper tip is a hair colder on the BR vs the TR. yea they are the same heat range but that's what I get. Mine is tuned at 14lbs and I had the TR in at the time. But I currently have the BR's in.

Like mentioned prior, with your boost I would go to 8's.
fleebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:45 AM   #7
Rob10CamaroSS
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 Redline Phase 4
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Selden, NY
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggFoot View Post
...
All I know is a number of years ago there was a gent here that blew the top off a couple of his pistons. He was pushing about 13 psi on a Maggie plus NOS and whether or not too hot of a plug was the issue, at least that is what he thought. I discussed with my shop on my last jump with the Maggie to 13 psi boost and E85 at almost 800 hp, we switched from a 7 to 8 heat range plug and I am still running the 8 now with the F-1X at about 16 psi.
As I originally said Bigg I cant disagree with you
AMOF I once cooked a $15K BRAND NEW built motor on the 1320 on it's first pass on that motor. And that was after the builder/tuner had the truck for a full month off and on the Dyno and street tweaking the tune.
In that case the builder had BR7's in it and we were running about 18/19 lbs of boost and 75 HP of N20.



One of the things I've learned over the years is different tuners will use different brands, different gaps, and different heat ranges on the identical set up, it seems to be tuner preference more than logic sometimes, LOL (or the tuner finds a combo that works and sticks with it).

Funny part is a few years later I threw a Procharger on a Mustang GT I had and used the same guy to give me a start up tune. AS he was strolling through the computer looking at my old tunes I saw one on the motor that blew up where the A/F was under 12 the whole run and then had a massive spike to over 15 A/F in the upper RPM's. I knew then the reason I blew up was because of his chi!tty tuning ability's and I never used him again. Live & Learn...

Bottom line is if you run good with 6's, 7's, or 8's, and the plugs read well then stick with it. In your case and massive power and boost (OK I'M JEALOUS) I would be running something colder then 6's and not BR7's so I would agree with your choice (especially at the tuners suggestion)
__________________
2012 ZL1 w/ Redline Phase 4 Gen 5 ZL1 Performance Package @650 RWHP
Rob10CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
fif_gen_powa

 
fif_gen_powa's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,483
Made 905whp on 19psi BR7EF (not br7es by the way)
Drive fine to me drive the car on the street all the time.

Tried TR7IX a while back and didn't notice any difference at all from the BR7EF to justify a $10 plug vs a $2 plug
__________________
Stock LS3 motor with BTR Stage 1 Turbo Cam, Monster LT1-S Clutch, Huronspeed turbo kit, Precision pt8847, Squash E85 fuel system, Aem Meth injection, Dsmlights Tuned

905whp 19psi - 10.2@142 16psi

https://instagram.com/turbo_ls3/
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
Bildo

 
Bildo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 1,576
I run the TR7IX on mine gapped at .026 @ 15lbs around 800rwhp with the filter on a F1-A
and E-85 mostly street driven, no issues. I did run a larger gap but closed it down when I thought I was getting spark blow out, had a different issue, have had no reason to open the gap back up.
__________________
2012 2SS M6, ERL Superdeck 6 427, PRC 255 Heads, Procharger F1A w/ 3.85 pulley, 1300hp intercooler, Squash Dual 450lph, E85, ID1700, RXT Clutch, DSS 1pc driveshaft, GForce axles, Eaton Detroit Trutrac, a bunch of other crap I don't feel like typing.
Bildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:56 AM   #10
eLeSthree
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Drivers Seat
Posts: 635
I found this thread during a search for "br7ef".

In preparation for another power bump, I decided to swap out my TR6's to the BR7EFs. Since most people run a 7 range plug around this power range, I thought it would be a good idea.

My TR6s were gapped at 32, so I gapped the Br7s the same. I hate them.

My idle sucks, the car shakes a bit, feels like its running rough. The only time it feels good is under WOT. I've spent alot of time tuning out the negative effects of my 110 cam, and all that work seems to be out the window.

While transitioning from reverse to first, or parking lot speeds, or just cruising to a stop, the rpms fall again and it almost stalls. Like its never been tuned...

I dont want to use an iridium/platinum (thin) tipped plug, so I'm definitely sticking with copper, but I cant run the br7efs. Any other options in 7 heat range?

I had no issues with the TR6's, so I guess im going back. So much smoother.
__________________
2011 Camaro SS M6
DSX Tuning
HP Tuners Pro
ESS Tuning Supercharger G3X 18psi 837/727
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #11
stevieturbo

 
Drives: Slow
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Norn Iron
Posts: 845
That makes no sense. There should be zero difference whatsoever. Something has went wrong during the change.

If plug access is easy, then there arent really any downsides to copper plugs, just change them more often.

If plug access is not easy, then precious metal plugs make more sense as they will last a lot longer before you need to look at them
__________________
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #12
eLeSthree
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Drivers Seat
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
That makes no sense. There should be zero difference whatsoever. Something has went wrong during the change.

If plug access is easy, then there arent really any downsides to copper plugs, just change them more often.

If plug access is not easy, then precious metal plugs make more sense as they will last a lot longer before you need to look at them
The big difference between the plugs is the tr6 has a projected tip. And br7 a non projected tip.

I think the point of Robs post (and mine) is that there IS a difference. We both find drive-ability suffers with the br7. I'm going to try opeing up the gap, since the location of the spark has moved inside the cylinder by about 1/8inch, maybe a bigger gap will help.

But ill probably be going back to TR6. Unless there is another 7 or 8 heat range copper plug anyone can suggest???
__________________
2011 Camaro SS M6
DSX Tuning
HP Tuners Pro
ESS Tuning Supercharger G3X 18psi 837/727
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:35 PM   #13
stevieturbo

 
Drives: Slow
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Norn Iron
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
The big difference between the plugs is the tr6 has a projected tip. And br7 a non projected tip.

I think the point of Robs post (and mine) is that there IS a difference. We both find drive-ability suffers with the br7. I'm going to try opeing up the gap, since the location of the spark has moved inside the cylinder by about 1/8inch, maybe a bigger gap will help.

But ill probably be going back to TR6. Unless there is another 7 or 8 heat range copper plug anyone can suggest???
Your problem is NOT the plugs.

I've used many different plugs in mine over the years, and never has any of the plugs I've used posed the symptoms you're describing. Not the plugs, nor varying gaps.

As for plugs, if you dont limit yourself to tapered seat, there are plenty of options. Just depends exactly what you want. certainly in any cathedral heads I've used, whether taper or gasket...the plug ends up in the same place. And taper seat plugs are a rarity in the UK, so I wouldnt even consider using them, nor would I want to anyway.

Do you want recessed or normal projected nose ?

Normal projected in gasket type would be BCPR7ES, certainly readily available here in the UK, and what is in my LS at present.
Or if you wanted iridiums, NGK's BKR7EIX is very common. Denso do comparable iridiums too, IK or IQ22.

Denso's, Q22PRU would be a cross for the BCPR7ES, again cheap copper. Denso make good stuff.

Although it is not readily available in the US, BCR8ES is plentiful in the UK/Europe and is a cheap copper recessed nose plug.
ALthough by time you bought then and shipped back to the US....probably more than you'd want to spend and you may not want the recessed plug anyway.
__________________
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.