Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
New Era OTR Installed (pics)

Purchased my New Era OTR CAI from a forum member, it arrived today.

While this intake is used, it still was in very good condition. It is the silver powdercoated model, and the quality looked to be top notch. I actually think the "rough" welds look fantastic, to me it gives it a one off custom appearance. To each their own. Regardless, the silver powdercoat matches the stock engine cover and my CGM engine bay almost perfectly. Visually I am very very impressed with this mod.

On to the fun stuff. I don't have access to a Dyno, but the butt dyno approves. I had a 50 mile drive home from IronWill's house. (Thank you by the way for installing it for me!) I immediately noticed that it deepened the exhaust note. I have a muffler delete, and over 4000 rpm it started to almost sound whiney before the intake, not so now. It sounds meaner than ever.

Throttle response is much improved, prior to the intake there was some hesitation when laying down the right foot. The hesitation is greatly reduced now. I'm very pleased.

There have been issues reported with "herky jerkies" with this intake on LS3's running the factory tune. I am very happy to report that I experienced none of these issues on my 50 mile trip. I had the cruise set at 73MPH most of the way home and it was nice and smooth. I also had a brief stint going through town at 30 mph in 3rd gear, again, no surging, no jerking.

I lucked out and found a stoplight on a 65mph road. Gunned it from the green light, slight chirp from the rear tires, pulled very hard into second, chirped the tires again, and I was breaking the speed limit before I knew it.

While I would like to put my car on a dyno to get some numbers, I am waiting until next summer to get a tune. Maybe a cat delete and or headers. We will see how the bank account feels by then

In closing, I would definitely recommend this intake. (Mine is the newer model with the revised MAF location/flange, I also checked my MAF sensor and I have the "strong" one.) I will update in a few weeks after I have had more time to drive the car.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
FTI-EDC
The stick man

Drives: 2004 GTO - C5 'vert - SRX
Thumbs up

Enjoy the new found power.

Nothing better than grabbing that nice cool air from the front of the car!

PONY WARS

FTI-EDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
TSSUNAMI

I definitely am!

Went for a short drive this afternoon. Tires break loose a lot easier now. I'm loving it. The sound is great too. Still no driveability issues.

Nice work New Era!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Congrats on your OTR intake. To me this is the only way to go. Vararam or New Era.
Enjoy!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
TSSUNAMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Congrats on your OTR intake. To me this is the only way to go. Vararam or New Era.
Enjoy!

Thank you!

I agree, while the other CAI's are effective, the idea of taking cold air from the front of the car just made sense to me. I love the sound it makes, and it looks great. I know you're a huge Vararam fan, and they make a great product too. I think now that both companies have made revisions to make these functional on the stock tune, it all comes down to personal preference.

Either way you go, you end up with a great looking/performing intake for your car.

Now I need to figure out what to do with the big gap where my old intake was.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSUNAMI View Post
Now I need to figure out what to do with the big gap where my old intake was.
Oh, I did nothing. I love the way it cleaned up the engine bay. It just looks so darn good.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Those are NICE!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
SSiick

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS/RS
After reading all the positive comments on both the Vararam and OTR I am thinking of switching. I have the Hennessy intake and last week on the dyno the tuner said intake temps were reaching 170* and it was pulling timing.
SSiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
TSSUNAMI

I may just leave it as it is also. I plan on adding headers in the future and it gives a nice view of the side of the engine.

I agree, it REALLY cleans up the engine bay, and as the pictures show, the gunmetal powdercoat is a very nice match to the factory engine cover and CGM paint.

I love the growl you get in 3rd from 55 to 85.... nice "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbbbbb" hahaha
Old 08-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
mike@newera

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Glad to see a happy customer with our intake!
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
TSSUNAMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@newera View Post
Glad to see a happy customer with our intake!

Thanks Mike!

I might have to swing by the roc and check out your shop next spring!!! Loving the intake!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
mike@newera

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Stop by this week if you want, we are bulding a 2011 convertible SS starting on Monday. We're doing one of our custom VVT cam combinations with Darin Morgan's CNC'd heads, etc.
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
ronniels3

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSUNAMI View Post
Purchased my New Era OTR CAI from a forum member, it arrived today.

While this intake is used, it still was in very good condition. It is the silver powdercoated model, and the quality looked to be top notch. I actually think the "rough" welds look fantastic, to me it gives it a one off custom appearance. To each their own. Regardless, the silver powdercoat matches the stock engine cover and my CGM engine bay almost perfectly. Visually I am very very impressed with this mod.

On to the fun stuff. I don't have access to a Dyno, but the butt dyno approves. I had a 50 mile drive home from IronWill's house. (Thank you by the way for installing it for me!) I immediately noticed that it deepened the exhaust note. I have a muffler delete, and over 4000 rpm it started to almost sound whiney before the intake, not so now. It sounds meaner than ever.

Throttle response is much improved, prior to the intake there was some hesitation when laying down the right foot. The hesitation is greatly reduced now. I'm very pleased.

There have been issues reported with "herky jerkies" with this intake on LS3's running the factory tune. I am very happy to report that I experienced none of these issues on my 50 mile trip. I had the cruise set at 73MPH most of the way home and it was nice and smooth. I also had a brief stint going through town at 30 mph in 3rd gear, again, no surging, no jerking.

I lucked out and found a stoplight on a 65mph road. Gunned it from the green light, slight chirp from the rear tires, pulled very hard into second, chirped the tires again, and I was breaking the speed limit before I knew it.

While I would like to put my car on a dyno to get some numbers, I am waiting until next summer to get a tune. Maybe a cat delete and or headers. We will see how the bank account feels by then

In closing, I would definitely recommend this intake. (Mine is the newer model with the revised MAF location/flange, I also checked my MAF sensor and I have the "strong" one.) I will update in a few weeks after I have had more time to drive the car.

Look of way better quality than the Vararam.
ronniels3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #14
TSSUNAMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@newera View Post
Stop by this week if you want, we are bulding a 2011 convertible SS starting on Monday. We're doing one of our custom VVT cam combinations with Darin Morgan's CNC'd heads, etc.

Man I wish I could Mike! Unfortunately, I am very tied up with work until the end of august. Hopefully I can make it down soon. If not definitely next spring!

Some more feedback on the intake now that I've had the chance to drive it for a week in varying conditions.

A few things I've noticed.

Again, the exhaust note is much deeper on my muffler delete. Still loving it. Gas Mileage I can't really compare much due to the fact that I cannot keep my right foot off of the floorboard. The intake itself is relatively quiet. If you rev the engine with the hood open, you will heart he "whoosh" of it "breathing." Otherwise there is little sound difference from the intake itself other than the improved exhaust tone.

The rear end breaks loose at around 4500 RPM now on dry roads with warm tires. This never happened before. The midrange punch is impressive, I'm thrilled and cannot wait to add a tune to really unlock the power. (Still undecided on HF cats + a catback OR headers with cats, and a catback...we will see)

The temps dropped below 70 on a few mornings on my drive home. Until the engine was warm (about 5 min of driving or less) I did notice some very SLIGHT surging. Not necesarily the dreaded "herky jerky" Just a subtle surge that went away after a few minutes of driving. Put it simply, if you weren't looking for it, you would not notice it. IMHO Driveability on the stock tune is great.

I've already gotten several compliments on the way the intake looks compared to the stock (and several aftermarket) intakes. I love the look of this peice and I am completely stoked that I pulled the trigger on it.

Tags
cai, cold air intake, new era, otr