Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-08-2022, 09:08 AM   #1
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Post cat O2 sensor help

So I have a customer with a 2016 Z06 who had a performance shop modify his car.....cam, headers, supercharger mods etc. The car made it less than 100 miles and spit a rod out the side of the block. The customer wants me to replace the engine and return everything except the headers back to stock. I'm sure the tuner deleted the P0420 and P0430 codes because there's no cat's. I'm going to be reinstalling the stock calibrations. Isn't there a device that plugs between the O2 sensors and the harness that fools the ecm? Thanks
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:52 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
There are o2 emulators available but I don't remember anybody on here that that has actually used them but maybe someone has. There are people that have used the ones that offset the actual sensors further away from the exhaust pipe.

Will that ECM be able to completely compensate for the headers as far as fuel trims and other possible error codes?
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:56 AM   #3
NOT A 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
There are o2 emulators available but I don't remember anybody on here that that has actually used them but maybe someone has. There are people that have used the ones that offset the actual sensors further away from the exhaust pipe.

Will that ECM be able to completely compensate for the headers as far as fuel trims and other possible error codes?
I'm assuming that it will. I have long tubes on my Camaro with a stock tune and I haven't had any issues.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:13 AM   #4
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I was thinking the same thing. They have o2 extenders but I think thats when it's a high flow cat throwing codes and sometimes works. I don't think it works with no cats.
Also here is one DIY resistor capacitor mod but again I'm not sure if it works.
The common way is e.g. HP tuners has some "don't send errors" option which in effect turns off the code throwing for no downstream sensor.
I got the non-pro version but you still need to buy (or use included credits) for the VIN to be able to write to the ECU. You would read the stock file then mod it for the o2's then write it.

I think the stock calibrations with headers, especially no cats, will throw codes even with the o2 sensor work around with stock calibration.
My opinion, this isn't a job you want to take on unless he supplies you with the factory exhaust manifolds and cats, or something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
I'm assuming that it will. I have long tubes on my Camaro with a stock tune and I haven't had any issues.
That's a good point. It may or may not throw codes. Will that work with a paying customer if it doesn't work?
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:19 AM   #5
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
http://www.area74.ca/io2/

https://www.magnumtuning.com/en/deta...vette-stingray

https://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/o2sim.html
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:39 AM   #6
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...vice-help.html
Threw codes even WITH cats. I think no cats will make it worse.

different type engine/gen:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...row-codes.html

Interesting to see a comment didn't throw codes at first then did later. Codes based on brand headers...advertised cats not to throw codes but did...
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:41 AM   #7
NOT A 45

After further examination of the x pipe I noticed the bung's for the sensors are about 2" long and angled so as to pull the sensor out of the exhaust stream. I think I'm going to try it as is and see what happens. Tuning the codes out is definitely a last resort as it will void his warranty on the new engine.