Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
smokay

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT V6 Manual
problem with suspension change

Ok.
Yesterday I took my 2011 Camaro v6 to a shop and install my new coilovers (Megan Racing Street Series coilovers).

The guys at the shop are very talented and professional, so I know that whatever they say, it is not bulshit or anything.

We installed the coilovers and lowered my car around 2.5. inches...
now thats where the problem was.

The guys said that, with aftermarket coilovers, the location of "stabilizer bar control link" moves downwards and makes the sway bar drag on the ground (since stabilizer bar control link holds the sway bars).

I wanted to take a look at it, and yea... the sway bar was really really below the other parts of the bottom of the car, and possible to cause damages to other suspension parts...

The guys said that it would be extremely dangerous if i bump my sway bars on the ground... (on a speed bumper for example)... possible to cause damage to coilovers and make them explode out of pressure bla bla etc etc...

So, basically, he said that in order to lower your car using coilovers, we need an aftermaket sway bars that would have less curves and therefore not too close to the ground.
And recommended me to take the swaybars off for now untill i get an aftermarket ones..

SO
my questions are:

Is this true??
As I did my research about coilovers, I never heard about "requirement" for swaybars when lowering cars with coilovers... is this really necessary? I personally saw how my sway bars look like with new coilovers... and I could tell that those guys at shop were not bullshitting... the stock swaybars were wayyyyyyyyy below the other parts of the car....

Also, they recommended me to run around with the swaybars taken off until i get a new after market swaybars.... is this safe?
I understand that without swaybars, my car would feel very discomfortable at corners... but is this really safe ?? driving in highways??

Please help, guys!
Thanks

smokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
look for a guy named justice pete, or speak to the guys at pfadt racing....these are people who know their stuff ....good luck
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
You will definitely need some aftermarket endlinks but I don't know any of them that will take up that much difference. I know the pfadts will take up a little bit but from the sounds of it, not near enough. Maybe they could make you a shorter endlink bar that will thread their heim joints into. At 2.5in drop, I would think most of the undercarriage would scrape on damn near everything.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Well in our experience we've had our car extremely low and didn't have an issue with endlinks. Post up some pictures and lets take a look at what's going on there. We recommend a 1.5inch drop for our street coilover kits, and 2.5 inches is pretty aggressive. Post up some pics and maybe we can point out something that may be helpful!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
2quick

Drives: none
Yes post up some pictures.
As to your question on driving around with out the rear bar on the freeway. I would not even consider it. AT ALL! Slow driving across the lot maybe. A few mile at very slow speeds. Only if i was in more danger than me taking a chance of wiping out. I agree that it sounds like you need new end links but I'm also suspecting something else is not right. Picture would help a lot.
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Well in our experience we've had our car extremely low and didn't have an issue with endlinks. Post up some pictures and lets take a look at what's going on there. We recommend a 1.5inch drop for our street coilover kits, and 2.5 inches is pretty aggressive. Post up some pics and maybe we can point out something that may be helpful!
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
We have yet to see this issue with any combination of products. If you could post pictures we could determine whether the sway bar is too low. We run our Project TriloG lowered 2.5" and have no issues whatsoever. We have BMR sway bars and end links but they are patterned after OE bends and OE links so they should be comparable to your car. I just went outside and shot a pic of the sway bar at this ride height and as you can see (not a very good pic) it is well higher than the rest of the chassis.

I question the credibility of your install shop a little simply because they are recommending a sway bar with different bends when you could simply run a shorter end link. Also the fact that they are recommending to drive the car without sway bars is a little scary. I am not too familiar with the Megan racing coil-overs but it is possible that the sway bar mounts are not in the proper position on the strut or that the installer is not using the proper mounting hole for the sway bar. All of these points might be moot if we could see a picture and determine if there is even a problem.

BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
I'm thinking the O.P. is running stock bars with stock endlinks on his massive 2.5" drop. The stock bar does have a lot more bend to them and could cause the endlinks to drag.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
This ain't rocket science no matter what some seem to think. You need a shorter endlink.

Call Bruce and order a set of front Supercar endlinks. Problem solved.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...endlinks+quiet
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote