Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'll take a 360 hp base V8 NA. If I were in the market for a 500 hp Camaro, I would still want it to be naturally aspirated. Superchargers can always be added to make more. once you have forced induction, it gets harder to make more power cheaply.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #16
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
We're talking about two completely different ways to make HP. High HP engines that aren't blown have high compression ratios. Take the LS7 it has an 11 : 1 CR.

Now the LSA and the LS9 have 9 : 1 CR. If you put a blower on the LS7 you're only gonna be able to make about 6 PSI with out doing any thing to lower the compression ratio which lowers the base HP of the engine. So when starting with a high CR engine you are always going to be facing a trade off when you introduce FI.

Now an LSA or LS9 can easily handle over 10 pounds of boost with few mods making the same power as the blown LS7 (about 635hp) and be much more reliable due to the lower CR.

I don't really have a preference either way. I just want a blower and I am so impressed with the way Chevy built the LSA and its integrated intercooler that I don't see a need to do it after market. Nothing against the shade tree guys who want to do it themselves. Just a personal preference.

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 04-12-2008 at 08:27 AM.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #17
usmc320

Drives: RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythic View Post
Then really, really hope for the LS3 engine. stock it is rated for 430hp/424lb-ft
With the optional exhaust it is 436/430.

GM has a hot cam swap for ithe LS3 (coded as the LS376) the retains EFI and pumps the out put to 480hp/475lb-ft.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...1224&engCat=ls

Possible Applications*
·It looks like "just an LS", but you know the truth
That would be awesome if you could order the hot cam option with the camaro. Wishful thinking.
usmc320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #18
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
We're talking about two completely different ways to make HP. High HP engines that aren't blown have high compression ratios. Take the LS7 it has an 11 : 1 CR.

Now the LSA and the LS9 have 9 : 1 CR. If you put a blower on the LS7 you're only gonna be able to make about 6 PSI with out doing any thing to lower the compression ratio which lowers the base HP of the engine. So when starting with a high CR engine you are always going to be facing a trade off when you introduce FI.

Now an LSA or LS9 can easily handle over 10 pounds of boost with few mods making the same power as the blown LS7 (about 635hp) and be much more reliable due to the lower CR.

I don't really have a preference either way. I just want a blower and I am so impressed with the way Chevy built the LSA and its integrated intercooler that I don't see a need to do it after market. Nothing against the shade tree guys who want to do it themselves. Just a personal preference.
u make a very good point. i guess i'm just kinda old fashion. but what about the ls2? guys are slappn' maggies on goats left and right and i don't hear about them pickn' their rods up off the ground?
smokn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #19
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokn' View Post
u make a very good point. i guess i'm just kinda old fashion. but what about the ls2? guys are slappn' maggies on goats left and right and i don't hear about them pickn' their rods up off the ground?
You're absolutely right.

Like the LS7, the LS2 has 10.9 : 1 CR, the LS3 has 10.7 :1 and the L76 has 10.4 : 1. All pretty close to what the LS7 has. So any forced induction system for these engines will have to be in the 5-6 pounds area. If you do that you will be pretty safe. Again, all these engines are boost limited due to the high CR.

And don't let me fool you. If the Camaro doesn't have a supercharger, I will be getting an aftermarket one. Quick, fast and in hurry!

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 04-12-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:22 AM   #20
smokn'

^soooo, wouldn't u have a greater all around net gain if got 500 hp on the engine w/ a high cr and stuck a blower on their with 5-6 lbs??? i'm not trying to knock u or anything, it's just in my mind once u get a factory blown engine, it seems like u have to just settle w/ that hp or get a really really expensive aftermarket that's even better. whereas, w/ a straight motor, u can strap on a mediocre blower and pick up 100 ponies.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #21
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
^soooo, wouldn't u have a greater all around net gain if got 500 hp on the engine w/ a high cr and stuck a blower on their with 5-6 lbs??? i'm not trying to knock u or anything, it's just in my mind once u get a factory blown engine, it seems like u have to just settle w/ that hp or get a really really expensive aftermarket that's even better. whereas, w/ a straight motor, u can strap on a mediocre blower and pick up 100 ponies.
Here is how I see it:

500hp NA V8: you can add a blower that will give you 5-6lbs of boost

Smaller 500hp V8 with a factory blower: you can swap the pulley and add 5-6 lbs of boost to what the factory gave you for pocket change.

Assuming that both setups will require a tune maybe an upgraded fuel system, it sounds like the factory blower will save you some serious cash. It will also save you a lot of work.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #22
Omega94

Drives: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro
Hm...I'd prefer to have my V8 N/A. I'm not really worried about it, though, because most likely the top level V8 (the one that could potentially be S/C) will be out of my price range. Besides...I would like to have a V8 that puts out 400-450 RWHP (with mods)...and I don't think a supercharger is necessary for that...

1994 Camaro 3.4l V6, 5-speed, SLP Loudmouth I cat-back exhaust.
It's loud, slow as all get out, but loud
No more money going into this one...everything's being saved for my 5th Gen.
2010 Camaro SS 6-speed, Black/Black
Omega94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #23
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
I'm not feeling any tension, Just good conversation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
Here is how I see it:

500hp NA V8: you can add a blower that will give you 5-6lbs of boost

Smaller 500hp V8 with a factory blower: you can swap the pulley and add 5-6 lbs of boost to what the factory gave you for pocket change.

Assuming that both setups will require a tune maybe an upgraded fuel system, it sounds like the factory blower will save you some serious cash. It will also save you a lot of work.
This is the point I was dancing around. Grape's got it. An engine with a Lower CR and a blower installed has a much higher capability to increase the HP than a NA motor that is almost tapped with a high CR.

Like Grape said, its really easy to swap out a pulley beef up the fuel injection get a tune, and wammo! you just double the blowers capability.

Not to say that NA motors don't have some real advantages cus they do. For a daily driver I would highly recommend an NA motor. Just cus it will be tame in stop and go traffic, and have all the juice you want when it's time to throttle up.

Basically my advice would be, if you are gonna get a S/C build the motor with that in mind. You will get much more out of the S/C vice having to go low boost on a high CR engine. But if you have the money and want a quick and easy way to increase your HP. A low boost S/C will cerainly get the job done. If the Camaro doesn't have a S/C option I will probably to just that.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #24
smokn'

^i can say i agree w/ u for the most part. i guess i'm just old timy, and yes, mine will be a daily driver. although i might put a new intake or maybe headers and exhaust, mine's gona be pretty much stock. i'm doing this for 3 reasons, one, i'm not gona put a whole lot of $$$$$$ in it, 2, i'd be fine w/ 400-500 hp and i don't need terrible mpg, 3, watch barret jackson, the stocks sale for a whole lot more than say those 69 ss's w/ a 383 stroker in em. although i do appreciate a highly modded beast, i do love a good ol' fashion stock chevy
Old 04-13-2008, 08:08 PM   #25
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
tip for the long term owners, do any mods you want that dont involve sheet metal or structure changes. If you swap out any parts; clean em, wrap em and put tham in a crate.
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #26
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
I think a supercharger would be cool, but then again pure motor would be nice.. Either way I'll be happy.

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:53 AM   #27
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
^and i don't need terrible mpg
one thing smokin having a supercharger actually improves your gas milage by a 1-2 miles to the gallon...that is if you can manage to keep your foot off of the pedal, and if you have the proper tune!
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #28
smokn'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
...that is if you can manage to keep your foot off of the pedal, and if you have the proper tune!
yeah, i know, but that seems to be a problem for me

Mythic: great advice!!! i've already planned 2 do this w/ whatever i mod!!!