Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-30-2018, 08:19 AM   #57
dmwtech

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
My 4s's I ordered should arrive at the Discount Tire store today. I plan to have them installed next week.
dmwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #58
flyinlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17ZL1Camaro View Post
The treadwear on the Goodear is 220
Oops, looked at the Supercar 3R, not the standard Supercar 3.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:55 PM   #59
flyinlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
Keep in mind that tire tread wear ratings are valid for comparison only among tires made by the same manufacturer, since each manufacturer assigns the ratings to their own tires. Comparing tread wear ratings on a GY tire vs a Michelin tire could lead to an inaccurate conclusion.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/learn/utqg

Best regards,

Elie
This is what bugs me about some of the rules in the SCCA, OUSCI, etc. They all spec that tires have to meet a treadwear rating of 200 or higher, but if the manufacturers are grading their own tires, how can they reasonably enforce this? And what if the car (like the Z28) comes with a tire that has a treadwear rating of 60, like the Pirelli Super Trofeo R.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:25 PM   #60
Treefrog
U235 is fun!

Drives: CGM 2SS/M6
Whats a good price for a set of these on a zl1?

I'm looking at $1550 plus shipping at tirerack.. do they go on sale?
Treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #61
Kudick1

Drives: Zl1
Quote:
I replace OEM Goodyears with the Michelin PS4S. It is a much improved ride on the streets. The grip and cornering are good and they are quiet. They are supposed to have good wet traction, but I don't drive this car in the rain. I have not tried them at the track. I have a track event scheduled in March, so I will let you know.
Trying to find a tire that does not throw gravel all over the sides of the vehicle. Do the Michelin's do that?
Kudick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:34 PM   #62
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
I have 8K miles on my ZL1 1LE - yea I love to drive this car!
We got rain in AZ in August and the GS3's don't do well as a daily tire.

At about 1200 miles I swapped out the OEM GS3's for Michelin Pilot Sport.
They took about 300 miles to wear in and quite down.

With 6500 mile on them I'm happy and will buy them again.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:52 PM   #63
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
I'll be interested to know what you guys think about the hook up on these compared to the OEM's when its really warm again...it's an obvious improvement when cooler.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #64
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
The treadwear on the Goodear is 220
I was gonna' say. The ZL1 1LE's tires are 100 though.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #65
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
So, I have always been a Michelin fan, but I noticed when I had put a set on my older Vette that the overall width of the tire in the same exact tire size as the OEM Goodyears was quite narrower. I am curious for those of you that have swapped out to Michelins on the ZL1 using the 305 rear specifically, do they look narrower as well??

I really like the beefy rear tire look and on my Vette that was disappointing. We put them side by side, just to make sure we weren't seeing things. My installer said it was because of the construction of the tire, mostly in the sidewalls and tread pattern. For the next tire change, I ended up going to BFGs with where close to stock GYs.
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #66
dmwtech

I had my Pilot Sport 4S's installed today in the stock ZL1 sizes. I didn't drive the car far or hard, but the improvement in ride quality, noise levels and smoothness is significant. My car had SuperSport ZP's installed up front with the stock, well worn Goodyears in the back.

I'll put some miles on it this weekend and report back. At first pass, I'm impressed. America's Tire also hooked me up with another $120 off, because the store manager wanted to really beat Tire Rack. Sweet! Total time for the install was around 65 minutes.
dmwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #67
SpeedLimit

Drives: 2019 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella16 View Post
question.....I've wanted to use the line lock, but haven't wanted to ruin a set of tires. Now that I'm getting new tires, I'm debating on trying it out.
Would yall risk it with this situation? I will still need to drive across town to the tire shop after...

If you're going to line lock and spin the wheel 150mph... probably remove the nail and plug the tire first. Nail could fly out and damage your zl1
SpeedLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #68
AbdulMateen19

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmueller View Post
As a fellow South Floridian, you’ll find me over in the right lane during heavy rain going 45 with the stock GYs. After this set, I’ll be switching to some pilots. The pucker factor on the stock tires is just too high since it rains without warning here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
AbdulMateen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #69
17ZL1

Drives: 2017 Nightfall Gray Metallic ZL1
Quote:
I replace OEM Goodyears with the Michelin PS4S. It is a much improved ride on the streets. The grip and cornering are good and they are quiet. They are supposed to have good wet traction, but I don't drive this car in the rain. I have not tried them at the track. I have a track event scheduled in March, so I will let you know.
I understand about the not driving in the rain thing, however I attend an Ole Street Racers meeting once a month drove my ZL1 sun was shining. After the meeting headed home sun shining about 5 miles from home on interstate 75 cloud burst car was like it was on skates all over the place. I am definitely looking for some tires with tread to squeeze out the water and friendly during weather below 50 I live in middle Georgia.
17ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:03 PM   #70
SociallyAwk

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Racer View Post
So, I have always been a Michelin fan, but I noticed when I had put a set on my older Vette that the overall width of the tire in the same exact tire size as the OEM Goodyears was quite narrower. I am curious for those of you that have swapped out to Michelins on the ZL1 using the 305 rear specifically, do they look narrower as well??

I really like the beefy rear tire look and on my Vette that was disappointing. We put them side by side, just to make sure we weren't seeing things. My installer said it was because of the construction of the tire, mostly in the sidewalls and tread pattern. For the next tire change, I ended up going to BFGs with where close to stock GYs.
I also heard they have a different sidewall and that's the reason.