Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #127
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Contributing to the delenquincy of minors... what is this site coming too!?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #128
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
oh man give me a six speed and 300 horses!!! oh and about 5 sets of tires too please! i love driving my stick in the city on the highway and every type of road in between! i gotta say that even with a front drive car with only about 130hp i love it so i can't imagine what i'll be like with 300 ponies under my foot!
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #129
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
I will be definitely looking forward to a new six(sick?)-speed stick.

Definitely get a junker for learning to drive.

There is a significant difference between knowing how to operate a motor vehicle and knowing how to drive.

You need to learn things like common road courtesy, how to react to sudden moves by other drivers, how to handle diferent road conditions or what to do if you hit a slick patch and the back end steps out on you.
Driving on fresh rain is actiully harder than if it has been a steady rain for some time. lots of people (at least in my area) see it just the dry/wet pavement as it begins raining as still dry all over. Needless to say, VDoT scapes no small number of them off the streets.

This beauty is going to be very powerful. If you misuse it or abuse it, it will hurt you or someone else.
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #130
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Lutz has already gone on record saying that the V6 WILL be available with a 6 speed manual transmission.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #131
Georgianne

Drives: chevys
I have never driven a turbo but I may try to find one to see what that 4 cylinder turbo would be like.
Georgianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #132
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
well, to give my opinion on all the topics mentioned...lol, yeah, so i'm 17 turning 18 in a couple of months and i too have been promised either a GTO or a camaro. now before i get pounced on, trust me, i appreciate it. i'm currently valedictorian and i work my butt off in the summer 40 hours a week about. my parents don't want me to work through the school year and they want me to have something safe other than my old truck to drive off to college in. however, i know what's it's like to be not so well off. i remember eating spaghetti with no sauce cuz we couldn't afford it! lol, yeah, but i try to make sure i never forget the value of a dollar and all the blessings that have been handed to me. i also try to always give back.

NOW, on to the real discussion, i would say stick all the way...on one condition, def do what they said and get some beat up car, for me it was a 1987 honda accord...RICER! lol, yeah, i hated that thing, but i bought it for an investment and learned stick with it too. yeah, i was pretty abusive with it and am very glad i didn't try to learn with a nice car. now i drive my mom's z4 and am decent with its stick. basically, you won't probably do quite as good at the drag strip with a stick, and it wouldn't be great if you lived in a super trafficy area, but otherwise, they're a blast to drive! you really connect with the car it seems. but that's just my $.02! sorry for the mega post! lol
smokn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #133
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
oh, and i've been working since 8th grade doing manual labor in the lovely(not) georgia summers. yipeee!
smokn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:35 AM   #134
Dark Eric

Drives: 1998 Pontiac Firebird
I'm getting an auto camaro, I drive up too many hills etc and can barely survive a one and a half hour drive...no manual for me, that is unless most Z/28s or SSs are Manual.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:50 AM   #135
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Eric View Post
I'm getting an auto camaro, I drive up too many hills etc and can barely survive a one and a half hour drive...no manual for me, that is unless most Z/28s or SSs are Manual.
i actually fee l that the manual is better in the hills... you can get that power on-demand and maybe save a little bit of gas and time waiting for the auto to kick in, and if it is slick out you can control the speed of descent by shifting to a lower gear. i personally like the manual trans over the auto any day.
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #136
TankSS

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
I love manual transmissions for the simple fact that I have a lot more control. I learned how to drive on an '83 BMW 325i with manual transmission and have since been able to drive any car I have encountered, manual or auto.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #137
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
As much as I would love to get a manual, my wife has no clue on how to drive a manual and doesn't want to learn. So even though the car will be mine and I will pretty much be the only driver, with me being military, I need her to be able to drive it once in a while in the event that I get sent overseas for an extended amount of time. So my only option is to get an automatic.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #138
Camaro_crazy

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Camaro_crazy
Manual is the only way to go. That is, unless they have a paddle shifters option, then i might have to make a tough decision.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #139
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
hey man, if you live in a place with a lot of traffic, then for sure get the auto. The car I drive now suckssssssss since it's a manual and the traffic is so gnarly.
other than that, get a manual, they are pretty fun once you get out of the city limits : )
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:29 PM   #140
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Id love to get a manual....I understand how do drive one but Ive never learned. My buddy has a old stingray and I let him put it in my garage while he was on deployment. I went to do my weekly drive I promised to give it. I press on the clutch and turn the key nothing happens? I pump the gas a few times, press the clutch nothing happens. I thinking hes gonna kill me. I call my pops, and he's like "you got the clutch pressed when while your trying to start her" Im like Im not a retard. "Is it all the way on the floor" I put the pedal on the floor turn the key and my pops is like " you retard" I go to back it on my drive way and I should be able to get the hang of it driving around the residential area my house is in. Yeah I never made it out the drive way. I had to call my buddy over and have him drive it for me. then I get on base monday and like 30 people are like was that you vette stalled out in your driveway....Talk about imbarrasment!
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote