Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

Old 02-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #9087
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylin View Post
Don't worry. I'm sure he'll come back with a great explanation!
Oh, I'm sure he'll have an explanation. Great??? we shall see...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #9088
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
Jess... He's off his rocker about the two cars thing.

He's smoking some good dope today. I can't fathom WTF he's talking about. A Corvette AND a BMW???? used maybe...

Sent while on baby duty.... please sleep
Mind you a CTSV starts at $64,515 (before gas guzzler tax), while a 328i starts at 34k and a A4 starts at 33k (and an A3 well below that!)
Then factor in US gov't economy numbers: the CTS-V receiving 14 MPG (combined) while the BMW gets 22 and the audi gets 25 (combined). The Z06 gets 18 (The regular gets 19). We're going to go with a conservative gas price of $3.96 over the next 5 years (thats todays nation wide average, which is supposed to increase to over $4 and eventually exceed $5). Gas alone leads teh CTS-V to cost $11k more than the BMW in gas, and $12,000 more than the audi. (this only increases if you do a lot of highway driving).

Now factor in resale. The BMW 328i, the Audi A4, and the corvette all resale for a higher percentage of their initial cost than the CTS-V does. So in 5 years your expected to lose 47k on the CTS-V, and your goign to lose $55k on the BMW/Audi + Z06 combo, or $41,845 on a Grand Sport + BMW/Audi.

Therefore precisely, The CTS-V will cost you $4k more than a BMW + Z06, or 17k more than a Audi and a Grand Sport, all new cars.

And these are CONSERVATIVE figures based on the idea that:
1. your not getting the huge rebates every Chevy dealer is offering right now
2. Gas prices don't go up
3. You dont damage a car
4, You don't modify it (The Corvettes are cheaper to modify than the CTSV)
5. Dont factor in gas guzzler tax (I dont think the Z06 has it but I can't prove it so I'll just assume it DOES to wash out the tax on the CTSV)

If you factor in any of those, based on the numbers I am seeing right now: Gas jumping to expected levels raises cost difference to $15,202. I see 7-9k off low level vettes, 6-7k off Z06s. $5k off BMWs (at least 5)No one is offering more than $4500 off a CTSV.

Yes there are more negotiations to be had in both areas. but if anything it would not be in the CTS-V's favor.

factor in the most realistic scenario? CTS-V is $14,500 more expensive than a Z06 + BMW 328i or Audi A4 (which is more than enough to upgrade to a much nicer bmw or audi maybe? or buy some great goodies for the Z06!)

CTSV is 29,500 less than a Grand Sport + BMW 328i or Audi A4

And even in the "current-best case scenario for the CTSV", the CTS-V is 10.5k more expensive.

So yes, a CTS-V is significantly more expensive than a Z06 Corvette and a BMW or an Audi... NEW.

I factored a similar equation a few months ago for a USED G8. Came to the same conclusion.
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #9089
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

you sure youre not a used car salesman?

how about a ctsv costs $65,000

a base C6 cost about $50,000 and a 328 costs $35,000... it just gets worse from there going to a gs, z06, 335...

65,000<85,000

maybe i did sort of what you discuss. sold a corvette, bought a camaro and a civic...

forget the other shit, too many "what ifs". no one looks at that stuff when buying a car, they buy what they like, plus a 328 is a FAR cry from a luxury car. sorry.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #9090
Qwkss

Drives: Hoopty Winter Beater
Whats that about Assholes having opinions.....or is it Opinions are like assholes??
Ehh, either way, I LOVE my G8.
Qwkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #9091
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
you sure youre not a used car salesman?

how about a ctsv costs $65,000

a base C6 cost about $50,000 and a 328 costs $35,000

65,000<85,000

forget the other shit. plus a 328 is a FAR cry from a luxury car. sorry.
The logic is a simple cost - benefit analysis.

Why do you put insulation on your house? or buy more efficient air conditioners? because the investment today saves so much money over the coming years that it becomes worth it.

If you had to borrow that extra 20k, the loan is only costing you $1540 over the 5 years, which still makes the CTS-V more expensive. It doesnt really matter what you spend on something, what matters is the ownership cost, and thats the piece your missing. The resale value on a Z06 is much higher than on a CTS-V.

And how about a cadillac CTS. Then you have teh exact same luxury as the CTS-V. The CTS saves $12k over the CTS-V in gas alone, so want me to just stick cadillac CTS instead of BMW or Audi? Fuel efficiency is a tad lower (21), and costs the same as the BMW (ok 1k more) but still significantly higher than the CTS-V. Its still $8k cheaper than the CTS-V alone.

As far as maint costs, BMWs come with free maint for the first 50k miles now, and your selling it right around where the warranty is up.

Even if we nickle and dime here, they clearly come to about the same at best, although i think my logic is pretty sound in the CTSV being a bit more expensive, but the CTSV is not going to have the same performance experience as the Corvette, but has the same look as the CTS... so I say the two trumps the one, and leaves you more personal options for the future.

Now if you have some random love for the CTS-V, then go for it. Just like the G8 owners have some weird love for the G8s (and I have some weird love for fieros, which I will admit doesnt make a lot of sense). Thats ok- your allowed to love cars for whatever reason you may have, but the typical argument that I hear which is "It is a performance car and a luxury car in one" doesnt really hold all that muster since it costs more than more luxury and more performance... but I dont have to understand that irrationality. the CTS-V simply doesnt make sense to me, nor does the G8.

Therefore there is no rational argument in the realms of Luxury, Performance, or Cost as to why the CTS-V / G8 is a good choice unless you just have some personal enjoyment for them just like I do for fieros, or if you have a reason to only have a single vehicle, like maybe if you lived in a city or something? Additionally, if your real rich and money doesnt matter then why not get the performance of a CTS-V over a lower performing sedan? sure I'll take a CTS-V and a ZR1!

Thats my argument- not whether or not G8s/CTS-Vs have their merit and are fine for the fanbois that love them, but that they don't have much merit outside those crowds except with the rich. I think it personally illustrates teh irrationality of a typical car buyer, and sence the G8 specifically isnt geared towards the rich, illustrates the awkward situation the G8 is in.

@Jason- I think your right to find out with selling one to buy two that you were able to get two cars that did what you needed more effectively than any one would. Thats not always the case, but I think thats often true for a lot of scenarios, more than most people realize (own a truck and a sports car vs. owning an SUV or a sedan, or owning a sedan and a sports car instead of a sports sedan, or owning a truck and a sedan instead of an SUV).
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)

Last edited by Arachnyd; 02-24-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #9092
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkss View Post
Whats that about Assholes having opinions.....or is it Opinions are like assholes??
I like to think of opinions like assholes, there's to many of them and they all stink.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #9093
SilverIceman

Drives: Camaro SS SIM
Damn, new Z06 (only 505 hp, but probably faster than the ctsv)...$77,500.00

http://autos.yahoo.com/chevrolet/cor.../2012/z06-3lz/

New BMW 535i (No one's ever compared a ctsv to a 3 series).......$50,800.00

http://autos.yahoo.com/bmw/5-series/2012/535i/

ctsv.....$59,100

Where did that other $69,000 go???? to gas??? taxes???

SilverIceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #9094
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Dude, B, I'm not reading all that.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #9095
cntryman77

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I'm trying to not to talk to stupid people for Lent, but sometimes this forum makes it really hard...LOL...j/k...I'll have to see about the Holiday Inn when it gets closer to time...I've had some things come up & it will depend on funding once it gets closer to time to go
Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #9096
bhall82
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
bhall82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #9097
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverIceman View Post
Damn, new Z06 (only 505 hp, but probably faster than the ctsv)...$77,500.00

http://autos.yahoo.com/chevrolet/cor.../2012/z06-3lz/

New BMW 535i (No one's ever compared a ctsv to a 3 series).......$50,800.00

http://autos.yahoo.com/bmw/5-series/2012/535i/

ctsv.....$59,100

Where did that other $69,000 go???? to gas??? taxes???

how about comparing a CTSV to a CTS. Its going to be the same except for the performance, and thats the piece we are agreent to "remove" to parlay into a corvette.

And CTSV Sedan starts at 64,800 before GG tax, but not before 4.5k discounts dealerships are offering, so lets say 62k pre sales tax for a CTS-V vs. 38-rebates = 34k for the same CTS (the cts starts at 35,9), therefore exact same luxury experience. (you can option both up a bit and it will be similar). Factor in gas and we're talking 47k difference, which is almost 10k less than the difference between a new Z06 and its 5 year resale.

In fact that 10k can option up the CTS Sedan to have more luxury features than the CTSV would have had.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #9098
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkss View Post
man... I love G8s too. I will say I am a tad in envy of yours! I would have been really envious if you got the blue one.

We actually considered a V6 but needed better mileage so got this little guy.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #9099
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Some weather we are having.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #9100
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10 View Post
Some weather we are having.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boringeversincehausleft, doesanyoneactuallyreadthislol, drew10stealsbolts, funny tags are funny, hrpii is pregnant, iroc204hp, irocababy, irocabigsticktobeatyouall, irocansshole, irocarubmark, irocasuspension, irocfluffyslippers, irocgrocerygetter, irocinsomnia, irocsshole, the jeopardy song, trackdaymidohio, whogetsridoftheircamaro4ajeep, whydotheyhatechubby?