Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 03-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #29
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
***Mods I hope I am not out of order starting this thread here***

Hey guys let's update each other with our plans for making our Camaro a straight line beast. Also we can discuss all things drag racing. On that note I wonder if I will see any 2010 body styles running in the Pro-Stock class or the Funny Car class at the Gatornationals this weekend
I'm going to go out on a limb and just pretend we're getting a Z28 in a few years based off of what the popular speculation is (LSA and mostly CTS-V like goodies). Personally, I'll be going with a somewhat conservative approach. I love going to the strip, but don't want to have to worry about breaking something everytime I go (nor do I want to have to worry too much about warranty issues); I just want a great cruiser I can drive anywhere, not have to worry about the smog nazis, and just basically be able to at least keep up with mildly mod'd Shelbys. I'll be limiting myself a lot, but I want to be able to enjoy the car and not look over my shoulder for the "Man" like I do now when I drive my '02; that means CARB-approved parts, for the most part.

Engine-wise, I'm thinking easy stuff, like CAI, shorties, CB, pulley (probably not warranty-friendly), and tune. I'd like to keep most of the above GMPP, but if there is better stuff, at similar prices, I might have to jump ship and go that route. I'll be leaving at least 20 RWHP on the table with the shorties, but that the price I have to deal with. I think this will be good to get to at least 600 FWHP and still have similar reliability and longevity. I'd also like to look into an intercooler heat exchanger, like one Fluidyne makes for Cobras. I don't really want to crack the supercharger open, so I'm not really thinking about porting the SC or replacing the intercooler, so I'm leaving a little there too. Perhaps the LSA dual-mode fuel system and ignition will be enough given the power increase I imagine I'd see, so I don't think there's going to be too much to improve upon here.

Next, the rest of the powertrain is probably going to be somewhat safe. Even though I thought GM said the IRS stood up to 600+ horse', I kinda' doubt it was with good traction and on sticky tires, so I'm a little concerned there. I image GM's going to stiffen the driveshaft, diff' and the axles, so I don't really think there's going to be too much to worry about there. I'll look into diff' girdles and such like GTOs and 'Vette have had, just in case. The clutch may last several passes, so I can see a replacement of one of those in the not-so-distant future. The tranny should be fine.

The chassis, I imagine, would at least benefit from some adjustable drag shocks, so that's something I'd look into eventually. I suspect there will be some more alterations to the shocks and springs with the added weight of everything above, by GM, so it kinda' depends on how that would turn out. I think the breaks on the SS seem pretty good as it is, and they might step up to six-pot calipers on the front and bigger rotors, but I don't imagine I'll have to spend much time in this area. Since the body has been touted to be very stiff, maybe SFCs may be in order, but they add weight, and it won't be nearly as twisty as older models, so I might not even do that.

I might take a seat or three out, for the strip, but I'm not looking into anything permanent. I'm pretty happy with what GM's giving us now, and unless that changes, I don't really want to get rid of anything, so I'm pretty sure my car would be getting very close to 4100 lbs. without me. That is not at all a good drag car weight, but I just want a really good street car I can drive anywhere. I think it's more of a challenge to get everything out of what one has than just throw the kitchen sink in, and this speculated model will be pushing my price range (again, assuming Shelby-similar pricing) so I'll be choosing my mods' very carefully.

There's going to be many better ways to build this car to go fast. I'm not even trying to say my way is good; it is good for what I suspect my situation will be in the future, but definately not even close to optimal. If I could get a nice blower cam, forge the bottom end, throw a bigger 2300 on it and go all out, that'd be sweet, but I couldn't drive it every day, like I'd like to for this car. It doesn't seem like we have much time to be able to buy and enjoy these kinds of cars so I'm all about maximizing what I have now.

How are ya'll going to be building your strip bruisers?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #30
justmeron

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to justmeron
Why would you base that on the possibility of a z28 comming out? I have always thought the SS is the top of the line and has more power than the z28. SO wouldn't your above plan work on a SS??

Life is not like a box of chocolates, its more like eating a whole jar of jalapenos.... what you do today may burn your ass tomorrow!!!!
justmeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #31
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeron View Post
Why would you base that on the possibility of a z28 comming out? I have always thought the SS is the top of the line and has more power than the z28. SO wouldn't your above plan work on a SS??
Only because that's been the "popular" speculation. I don't know either way (be it more powerful or going back to it's handling roots), and I don't know if GM even sees a Z28 in it's future. There've been people who've seen the car (allegedly) but that's the only basis. Personally, if I were going to make strictly a strip car, I'd just get the body in white, throw a 9-inch or Dana 60 in it, and go to town. That's not in my budget nor am I planning on campaigning a car in NHRA or something, LOL. I threw that out there instead of an SS mostly due to the fact the LS3 doesn't have the forged/heavy duty parts the LSA has, nor the supporting systems. Sure, you could find a forged LS-engine and definately get a barn burner, but that was only my thoughts on what I'd like to do. There are way better ways to go faster than I

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 03-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #32
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeron View Post
you have always thought wrong.

I'm going to push the car stock with stickies at first, then throw on a maggie, followed by a trans build and if that IRS cant hold the power, then I'll move on to a Strange S60.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #33
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
you have always thought wrong.

I'm going to push the car stock with stickies at first, then throw on a maggie, followed by a trans build and if that IRS cant hold the power, then I'll move on to a Strange S60.
I'm thinking the same thing, for the most part. Maximize what you have then go for more

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #34
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
then I'll move on to a Strange S60.
Best rear end out there.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #35
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Best rear end out there.
I've read they're heavier and cost a little more power than a 9-inch, but it seems like the ring and pinion are just flat-out huge! S60 for me too

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #36
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
I'll be waiting for a little while past the break in point. at about 15,000 miles it will probably see its first drag strip run. I want to see what the car can do with zero modification at all. I'll make sure to post my best times and slips up here. I know I can hit a low 13. What I really want is to dip as low as possible into the 12's. I honestly think the LS3 is capable of running a 12.7 (maybe better, but let's not get our hopes up!).

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #37
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post

Engine-wise, I'm thinking easy stuff, like CAI, shorties, CB, pulley (probably not warranty-friendly), and tune. I'd like to keep most of the above GMPP, but if there is better stuff, at similar prices, I might have to jump ship and go that route. I'll be leaving at least 20 RWHP on the table with the shorties, but that the price I have to deal with. I think this will be good to get to at least 600 FWHP and still have similar reliability and longevity. I'd also like to look into an intercooler heat exchanger, like one Fluidyne makes for Cobras. I don't really want to crack the supercharger open, so I'm not really thinking about porting the SC or replacing the intercooler, so I'm leaving a little there too. Perhaps the LSA dual-mode fuel system and ignition will be enough given the power increase I imagine I'd see, so I don't think there's going to be too much to improve upon here.

Am I reading this right...CAI, shorty headers, pulley, catback and tune = 174 hp? Your saying this would get you to at least 600 fly wheel hp, so 600-426= 174.

I'm saying CAI=12 Rwhp, shorty's=15 Rwhp, pulley=5 Rwhp, Catback=10 Rwhp, Tune= 20 Rwhp=62 Rwhp....as a package I don't think you'll get quite the same amount as the totals there I'd say like 50-55 RWhp as a total, I'm saying you'd be in the neighborhood of 520-530 FWHP. JMHO.

On a 6 sp manual, 600 rwhp, with 15% drivetrain loss, would be 510RWHP...I've not seen any bolt-on LS3 anythings put that kind of power down with bolt-ons...That's strong bolt-on + cam or blower/turbo @ 7psi territory.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #38
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
Am I reading this right...CAI, shorty headers, pulley, catback and tune = 174 hp? Your saying this would get you to at least 600 fly wheel hp, so 600-426= 174.

I'm saying CAI=12 Rwhp, shorty's=15 Rwhp, pulley=5 Rwhp, Catback=10 Rwhp, Tune= 20 Rwhp=62 Rwhp....as a package I don't think you'll get quite the same amount as the totals there I'd say like 50-55 RWhp as a total, I'm saying you'd be in the neighborhood of 520-530 FWHP. JMHO.

On a 6 sp manual, 600 rwhp, with 15% drivetrain loss, would be 510RWHP...I've not seen any bolt-on LS3 anythings put that kind of power down with bolt-ons...That's strong bolt-on + cam or blower/turbo @ 7psi territory.

you'd need cnc'd heads and a decent cam to be pushing that kinda power...

and its been done....

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...wap/index.html

and if you really wanna get stupid with your heads... call these guys

www.mastmotorsports.com and ask them about their 12* cnc'd heads...

or about their track packages...

http://www.mastmotorsports.com/page....ackages&id=117
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #39
LPFSTheFett

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
To get a LS3 into the 500rwhp range, you'd certainly have to do heads and maybe a cam. I got the LS7 in my Z06 to 502rwhp with just bolt on's but it's also got a lot more cubic inches.

As far as break in goes, who needs a break in?!? I always try to get my cars to the strip w/in 2 days of purchasing it. I had my Z to two events before it had 500 miles on it. I don't plan on the SS being treated much different. lol

I've also considered converting the car from the IRS to a solid rear axle, I just don't know what's going to be involved with it. I'd personally love to just go 12 bolt and try to save some weight. The car already weights in at 4,000 lbs, goal would be to cut weight as much as possible.
LPFSTheFett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #40
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPFSTheFett View Post
To get a LS3 into the 500rwhp range, you'd certainly have to do heads and maybe a cam. I got the LS7 in my Z06 to 502rwhp with just bolt on's but it's also got a lot more cubic inches.

As far as break in goes, who needs a break in?!? I always try to get my cars to the strip w/in 2 days of purchasing it. I had my Z to two events before it had 500 miles on it. I don't plan on the SS being treated much different. lol

I've also considered converting the car from the IRS to a solid rear axle, I just don't know what's going to be involved with it. I'd personally love to just go 12 bolt and try to save some weight. The car already weights in at 4,000 lbs, goal would be to cut weight as much as possible.
What z06 do you own? 4000 lbs?
Old 03-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #41
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
What z06 do you own? 4000 lbs?
I believe he was referring to the SS when he mentioned the 4000 lbs. A bit of a large rounding, but makes more sense than speaking of the Z06 that way.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #42
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
I believe he was referring to the SS when he mentioned the 4000 lbs. A bit of a large rounding, but makes more sense than speaking of the Z06 that way.
- Xanthos
My kingdom for proper nouns