Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
Stupid question....SAE or Metric

So I am going to get an impact wrench. Nothing too fancy, but something. I will use it mostly for wheel changes in winter and summer. However, i will be doing some suspension mods, and if I get more confident who knows what other mods down the road.

Do I need impact sockets or can I use my regular Craftsman ones? If I get impact specific, am I better off getting impact sockets in Standard sizes or metric? Buy a set or just get them piece by piece? They are not cheep and this tool likely will not be used all that often so if I can cost down that would be ideal.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
First, you can use the impact for removing wheels, but you should use a good torque wrench for re installing the wheels.
Now with that aside...... Regular sockets can shatter when used with a impact wrench, seen it, done it..
Most cars nowadays will have both SAE and Metric fasteners on them. So far on my Camaro I have only run into metric fasteners.
So if you are going to use this on the Camaro only I would start with Metric sockets.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Are camaros are metric. Got to remember that they're built in Canada eh
Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Are camaros are metric. Got to remember that they're built in Canada eh
Good thing all of my tools were standard lol
Gen5Diy.com.....http://www.gen5diy.com/
Wretched Motorsports..www.wretchedms.com/
Pedders USA
...http://www.peddersusa.com/
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
L99

Drives: B On B L99-Gone/SS2
Get real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
First, you can use the impact for removing wheels, but you should use a good torque wrench for re installing the wheels.
Now with that aside...... Regular sockets can shatter when used with a impact wrench, seen it, done it..
Most cars nowadays will have both SAE and Metric fasteners on them. So far on my Camaro I have only run into metric fasteners.
So if you are going to use this on the Camaro only I would start with Metric sockets.
Have you ever seen a pit crew use a torque wrench?
I have used a impacts many years and never strip or over torque nuts or studs. It's all in the users hands and common since will get the job done safely.
Impacts can over torque lug nut's and studs but not likely unless you really have a high torque gun running 120 pounds and you set there and continually stay on it. I seriouly doubt you could do it with the average low budget impact or home compressor. Just tighten in a crisscross patern and don't bring them up to torque the first time, repeat.
I say impact away! If you strip one you will know and feel the limitations of your gun and the turning element.
Definitely use impact sockets, you will ruin standard sockets in a short time.
Never hold your hand around a socket when impacting. If it breaks it will seriously rip the shit out of you hand in a hot split second. Even impact sockets.
L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Yeah its tough to strip a 14mm stud. But f'ing up your rims by over tightening is more of an issue..
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #7
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have torque wrench for final torque down. Just looking for something quick to break and remove the lugs. Maybe zip them on the stud to the wheel them manually torque them from there.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
If you rip up your hand with a impact gun, refusing to release the trigger. Then its time to give up. I hope you do not operate a hytorque wrench or a one inch impac they tend to do severe damage.
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote