Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #15
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Cleaning wheels is constant with these brake pads. Switching pads will reduce dusting. I'm OCD so detailing is actually relaxing for me. I have found by thoroughly cleaning your wheels and by thoroughly I mean wash with dawn then use a iron decon product like iron-x to remove all the dust contamination followed up with claying them allows a coating to truly bond to the clear coat. What ever sealant/coating you choose make sure to let it cure per manufacturer directions and apply and second coat. This will make cleaning them less tedious usually a good blast of water will do the trick without a dedicated cleaner
Old 01-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #16
kaamacat

Drives: 2018 ZL1/1LE Red
Out of anything out there (trust me I've tried)..... Armorall Wheel Protectant. Comes in a small 8ox spray about $8 from Walmart. The wheel needs to be spotless, then spray the stuff on (pick a good pattern you will use so as not to 2x anywhere). It will look like you are putting on too much, and it does run. DO NOT MOVE THE CAR for 24hrs once sprayed. DO NOT TOUCH the wheel either.... I will say it sticks differently to some vs others. For the ZL1 wheels you may get to do 8 wheels at maximum.

After a few hours you can wipe the dribble off your tire where it runs to. (Unavoidable).

(On the GT3RS...which had dust just looking at them... I could go an easy 400miles with minimal dust... I mean real minimal if any).

What you may see is dust "gather" somewhere in a corner because it had no way to escape with the wheel spinning. Seems to work very nice on Chrome wheels, painted with clear that has a nice surface finish. On the black ZL1 wheels I'd give it 90% of how good it could be.

2018 ZL1 1LE (Red) - New Dec 2017
2015 ViperGT (Gunmetal w/Red stripes)
2013 ZR1 Anniversary
2014 ZL1 - BrightYellow, 6sp
2011 Porsche GT3RS - White w/red graphics
2009 Porsche C2S
2001 Ferrari 360
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #17
kaamacat

Drives: 2018 ZL1/1LE Red
...oh... and I came upon the stuff after doing a mountain drive, and a friend with a C6 with chrome wheels had zero dust. He mentioned the stuff. (Skeptical as most, thinking this is "snake oil" sales..... I tried it and was shocked at how well it worked). But once its on you just don't want to touch the wheel.

2018 ZL1 1LE (Red) - New Dec 2017
2015 ViperGT (Gunmetal w/Red stripes)
2013 ZR1 Anniversary
2014 ZL1 - BrightYellow, 6sp
2011 Porsche GT3RS - White w/red graphics
2009 Porsche C2S
2001 Ferrari 360
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #18
1953 C6

Drives: 2016 SS Vert, 1969 Z/28
I ordered the Hawk ceramics from Rob at Wretched Motorsports. (Forum vendor) I'll install them next weekend and post my results.

Stephen, Thanks for the link!
1953 C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #19
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
Cleaning wheels is constant with these brake pads. Switching pads will reduce dusting. I'm OCD so detailing is actually relaxing for me. I have found by thoroughly cleaning your wheels and by thoroughly I mean wash with dawn then use a iron decon product like iron-x to remove all the dust contamination followed up with claying them allows a coating to truly bond to the clear coat. What ever sealant/coating you choose make sure to let it cure per manufacturer directions and apply and second coat. This will make cleaning them less tedious usually a good blast of water will do the trick without a dedicated cleaner
THIS!
Old 01-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #20
Azzkker

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, 99 z28, 89 iroc-z
I use this product: bouncers looking sweet wheel wax http://www.autopia-carcare.com/bouncers-wheel-wax.html

It is really great. the brake dust just rolls off the wheel. I took the wheels off the car and cleaned them really well by hand, then applied this to both front and the inside of the wheel. This made cleaning the wheels as simple as using a power washer and blasting the brake dust off. This product lasted for several months of regular driving before reapply is necessary.
Azzkker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #21
charlietuna

Car pros's Hydro2 is what's on mine. If you have a few minutes search for ZL1 wheel cleaning on this forum I did a write up on it several months ago.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #22
jayb53guy

I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Green-1...rcraft+cleaner

I spray it on and let it sit, then spray it off. It's used for cleaning exhaust carbon off aircraft. It works great. I used to do professional detailing as a part time business and this is the best stuff I have found. It's great of you have a Harley with spoke wheels, too!
jayb53guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #23
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm2Reality View Post
Just put 45 minutes of driving on my ZL1..no hard braking and the fronts are already covered in brake dust!

Not really considering changing to aftermarket pads as I don't want to sacrifice any performance...but does anyone know of anything to possibly spray on the wheels to prevent buildup?
FYI, much has been posted in regards to the factory break pads and dust accumulation on the wheels and exterior of the car.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #24
1MtnGoat

Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Exactly, just don't last as long
I've got 26,000 on a set of Hawk Ceramic pads and they are about like new. They wear just fine. The rotors are showing no wear also.
Under Hood - Painted strut bar ends w/custom Polished Stainless mounting hardware, E2 CC, RotoFab CAI, ZL1 underhood decal, Amsoil oil, Black billet strut covers, Metco pulleys, intercooler reservoir, JRE 75 RWHP package.
Chassis - Hawk ceramic brake pads, ZL1 wheel decals, Amsoil fluids
Interior - A pillar gauge pod w/Aeroforce Interceptor gauges, Polished ZL1 speaker rings, ZL1 mats and console lid, Custom GPS mount
Exterior - 3M clear bra, LED driving lights, PIAA Plasma Ion yellow fog lights, Window tint, CF bowties, Technostalgia sequential tail lights

1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #25
ZL1 Pilot

When I had my car Opticoated they guy did my stock wheels for free (ok, I know nothing's free). Don't know how that compares to other products but 100 times better than nothing. After a day of driving the dust comes off easily with a dry shop towel. Wetting with water or any cleaner just seems to make the dust gum up and make it harder to get clean. Stock pads.
ZL1 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #26
charlietuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Pilot View Post
When I had my car Opticoated they guy did my stock wheels for free (ok, I know nothing's free). Don't know how that compares to other products but 100 times better than nothing. After a day of driving the dust comes off easily with a dry shop towel. Wetting with water or any cleaner just seems to make the dust gum up and make it harder to get clean. Stock pads.

This is by far the best coating for wheels..or any surface of your car for that matter.... Not the cheapest but the best when properly applied to a well cleaned surface by a pro.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #27
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
If you are worried about performance get the Hawks ceramics. You can easily swap the pads for track days especially if you are swapping tires anyway.