Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Is Dylan no longer at SCG?

I noticed he is no longer a sponsor and all their threads are invalid?
Old 10-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
yup he has left SCG
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Yup its over. It seems like they used him to develop the Proline and then said "thanks and good luck". Pure speculation but I do know it was a surprise to him, not voluntary...

He will resurface somewhere, hopefully somewhere legit.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Just noticed the same thing. He told me in a PM that it basically is what camaro2ssbkack said.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Did some searching on the net and came up with this, reply number 56 http://customgm.com/detailing/8071-scg-3.html .
Old 10-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 View Post
Did some searching on the net and came up with this, reply number 56 http://customgm.com/detailing/8071-scg-3.html .
Old 10-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
JTruck

Dylan's post on above site:

Quote:
I appreciate everyone taking such a big interest in my drama LOL. Read a lot of what was posted, most of it I agree with, some of it makes me scratch my head.

Just to clarify - when I say 'unexpectedly' let go, it literally was a 'did I just hear that right?' moment - as in no indication or clue it was coming, I was just putting in another day answering tech questions, composing a writeup on machine options, speaking with customers via various channels... wasn't expecting to be told my position was being eliminated. In terms of Sam's post and the line not performing as expected, fact is thats speculative - I didn't have a set list of objectives, goals, or a target to hit. It was: STEP 1 CREATE PROFESSIONAL LINE. STEP 2 SELL PROFESSIONAL LINE. I think as reasonable adults here we can all see that it didn't get sufficient time to accomplish step 2... the line as a whole was on the market for less than 6 months (April 29th was day 1) and the polishes haven't even been out for 2 months. Draw whatever conclusions you need to from that, but I think most of us here can connect the dots ourselves.

Thats about the extent of what I'll be posting on it to be honest - I have an NDA in place that prohibits me from disclosing much more (on or offline) and as most who have contacted me can verify - thats about all I've said to them as well and about all I will. I can't speak to their motives or ultimate goals for what will become of the products I created. Thats their business and my fault for not seeing it coming. If you have questions about it going forward you should definitely direct those questions to them. Its now their product line to support and continue to sell how they see fit, if at all.

In terms of 'fan-boy-dom' ... call it what you want. I don't think of myself as some kind of celebrity... I don't have that ego. I'm just a guy who likes detailing and happens to be put in a position to answer questions for people when I can and I have the background/experience to give qualified answers. If that garners loyalty, a following, or "fanboys" so be it. I was doing it long before I was employed by a company to do so, I'll be doing it if I never get back into the detailing world again. I gained a reputation for being professional + willing to do anything to help someone out and I have made a number of friends all over the country as a result, many of them I've had the chance to meet in person.

One important thing I do ask is that those who have a bone to pick with SCG keep it professional - let your wallet do the talking if you don't want to support their brand. There is no cause to be unprofessional or do anything malicious - they've made their decision and while I don't agree with it and feel it was handled exceptionally poorly life goes on. Just like the last time I hit the market I've already received contact from multiple other organizations wanting to know 'whats next'... at this point I'm entertaining offers and taking what time I can afford to think about whether or not I want to stay in this industry or not. Patterns being what they are, not sure I need to do this again, but it is what I'm passionate about so I'd have to find something that interests me as much to justify leaving.

As far as doing my own thing - trust me when I say the thought had crossed my mind multiple times. What most people fail to realize is the time and capital required to launch something from scratch is substantial. As someone said - if it were just me, no kids, no wife - I'd be completely willing to take that gamble, but reality is what it is. I have a mortgage, a son about to turn 8 with special needs, a little girl about to turn 1 year old, and as much as I'd love to start my own brand and take the time (more than 6 months) to grow it I have to think about them first. Its not as cheap and easy as you would think to do this stuff... and it ain't exactly a business many people are getting rich at. Lord knows I have the contacts and knowhow to do it - what I don't have is the capital and the ability to gamble with my families future. Theres a lot of investment in things most guys will never even realize to make that kind of venture happen, so until I get the windfall of cash needed to do it on my own, or the investors needed to finance it, plus pay me while it grows its not feasible.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Although businesses do strange things in the name of business, they drive the boat and must deal with their decisions, plus any unintended consequences.

Now...with that said, I'm not taking sides here, but if they were willing to do something that from a PR standpoint looks a bit slimy to their OWN developer/marketer, what makes you think they give two craps about YOU as a customer?

They made my decision that much easier NOT to buy their products. In the end it's about them serving me, the customer. And if I don't feel they care about me at all, then I sure as heck don't care about them. Even if it were someone else they did this to, my conclusion would be the same.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Personally I will not spend another dime at SCG

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
What a shame, I recently bought from SCG. I know how that goes -- been there twice. We'll keep you in our prayers -- hope for the best...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
JTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
Although businesses do strange things in the name of business, they drive the boat and must deal with their decisions, plus any unintended consequences.

Now...with that said, I'm not taking sides here, but if they were willing to do something that from a PR standpoint looks a bit slimy to their OWN developer/marketer, what makes you think they give two craps about YOU as a customer?

They made my decision that much easier NOT to buy their products. In the end it's about them serving me, the customer. And if I don't feel they care about me at all, then I sure as heck don't care about them. Even if it were someone else they did this to, my conclusion would be the same.
You make a very valid point. To do something such as this to an employee, it makes you wonder what they would do to us as customers. Although I have had nothing but outstanding customer service with SCG, I can only contribute that rapport because I was dealing with Dylan.

I never thought of or considered SCG prior to Dylan's arrival on their team, and will go back to that mindset now.

Hope all the best for Dylan, as relocating for this job with such a short employment period must be aggravating.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #12
mikeb27

Drives: 2011 Black 2LT
I've been looking around for Dylan and SCG posts too. I just completed an order with them that Dylan had helped me through and gave me a lot of advice about. Just a really unfortunate situation. But that was definitely my first and last purchase with SCG.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #13
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 221SS1LE
Hey Dylan if you're reading this do Kickstarter or the Crowdfunding thing,get your business plan together outlining your products etc......and go for it!I'm sure you could get quite a bit of capital from camaro5
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #14
Tim417

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
It's really too bad as I have grown to really like a lot of the SCG Pro line. I have learned a lot from Dylan's contributions and wish him and his family the best. I hope he stays in the detailing industry so we can all benefit from his knowledge and customer minded approach to doing business.
Tim417 is offline   Reply With Quote