Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-30-2023, 08:20 PM   #1
daktah

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ss 1le
Sooooo... This isnt good right?

changed my oil over the weekend and on a whim decided to buy a filter cutter and pop one open for the first time, and im reasonably certain what i found should be cause for concern, but i figured id ask anyway.

for the picture of the oil, the dark normal oil drained from the filter before i cut it (and all of the oil from the sump looked the same), the lighter sparkly oil is what came out of the pleats from me folding it up and squeezing the oil out trying to make them less shiny. all of the large shiny bits around the periphery can be ignored, its either garbage that was in the drain pan already or the texture of the pan itself.

for the picture of the flecks, i just took a picture of the largest ones i could find. for scale, the large splinters are about 1.5-2mm long each and the larger of the smaller flecks scattered about are all around +/- .5mm or so (not the dust but the distinct flakes). those are the only 2 distinctly large chunks, the rest are small/medium flakes or dust.

also i just took a video of the entirety of the pleating since i figured it would be more convenient than like 45 pictures.
https://youtu.be/yTXB3lwkAC4

Name:  20231030_154409.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  296.9 KB

Name:  20231030_171552.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  130.0 KB

Stock + Speed Engineering 1 7/8 LTHs w/ TSP HFCs, Roto-Fab CAI, Innovate DLG1/LC2 Dual WBo2, Smoked Wicker Bill, Self Tuned w/ HPTuners
daktah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 07:43 PM   #2
daktah

anyone? bueller?

Stock + Speed Engineering 1 7/8 LTHs w/ TSP HFCs, Roto-Fab CAI, Innovate DLG1/LC2 Dual WBo2, Smoked Wicker Bill, Self Tuned w/ HPTuners
Old 11-04-2023, 08:47 PM   #3
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I've cut a couple of filters and was shell shocked at what I saw. That being said, it's been years and all is still well! I don't see anything alarming but I'm by no means a veteran filter cutter.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 12:23 AM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Personally I've never cut open a filter (but I probably should!). Are any of the particles/pieces ferrous? Maybe check with a magnet. I'm a BIG fan of Blackstone analysis, you may want to send in a sample.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:37 AM   #5
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
"Yellow metal" color is more worrying.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 06:53 PM   #6
daktah

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
I've cut a couple of filters and was shell shocked at what I saw. That being said, it's been years and all is still well! I don't see anything alarming but I'm by no means a veteran filter cutter.
i hope thats the case here too then

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Personally I've never cut open a filter (but I probably should!). Are any of the particles/pieces ferrous? Maybe check with a magnet. I'm a BIG fan of Blackstone analysis, you may want to send in a sample.
yes, the majority of the larger particles are magnetic. i was also thinking of sending in a sample to blackstone anyway just to see what they say but forgot when i actually went to change the oil. ill make sure to remember to do it next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy pilot View Post
"Yellow metal" color is more worrying.
im assuming you mean the color of the glitter in the oil?

Old 11-07-2023, 07:24 PM   #7
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by daktah View Post
i hope thats the case here too then

yes, the majority of the larger particles are magnetic. i was also thinking of sending in a sample to blackstone anyway just to see what they say but forgot when i actually went to change the oil. ill make sure to remember to do it next time.

If I'm correct on this one, I believe he is referring to the "yellow" color metal particles in the oil meaning that either the rod bearings, or the cam bearing are worn down past the "polished" surface they have and down into the softer bronze metal that the bearings are made of. That's bad news if so..
Old 11-07-2023, 07:29 PM   #8
daktah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
If I'm correct on this one, I believe he is referring to the "yellow" color metal particles in the oil meaning that either the rod bearings, or the cam bearing are worn down past the "polished" surface they have and down into the softer bronze metal that the bearings are made of. That's bad news if so..
no yeah I know exactly what he means by yellow metal, brass and bronze and the like, I was just curious exactly where he was seeing it since all of the bits in the filter media are silver (and magnetic). I figured the only thing that might look yellowish was the glitter oil.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:32 PM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
no yeah I know exactly what he means by yellow metal, brass and bronze and the like, I was just curious exactly where he was seeing it since all of the bits in the filter media are silver (and magnetic). I figured the only thing that might look yellowish was the glitter oil.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:25 PM   #10
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
I did this and it came back unremarkable. Currently at 79k and hasn't missed a beat. Things like this come from manufacturing, mostly and if all works well, end up...in the filter. The chunks you see would likely never make it into the Blackstone sample container.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 11:36 PM   #11
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Yep.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote