Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
SUB DECISIONS & NEED OPINIONS....

I am building a sub for my car. I have all the required items to build a single or double woofer box. In the past I have designed and built over 20 sub enclosures, I have always designed the enclosure for Optimal woofer performance in a sealed or ported enclosure. I have build a few enclosures that were very small and have had great results.

First off I want minimum weight and size in my trunk. I have 2-12" Diamond D312D4 woofers, a Hifonics Brutus amp thats 500wrms clean at 4 ohms, or 900wrms clean at 2 ohms. I am building a 1.4 cubic foot sealed enclosure. An Optimal sealed enclosure for 1 woofer is about 1.5 cubic feet.

What would you do if you had my parts? An enclosure(1.4 cu.ft.) with 1 woofer, amp, cap, wires would weigh aprox 50 pounds, and the amp would run at 4 ohms(aprox 500wrms) An enclosure(1.4 cu.ft.) with 2 woofers, amp, cap, wires would weigh aprox 63 pounds and the amp would run at 2 ohms(aprox 900wrms) The woofers each handle 400wrms and 900wmax.

I am building the enclosure today, but I do appreciate any good suggestions and opinions. Last June for my sons 21st birthday I built a very small sealed enclosure using 2 Kenwood 12" woofers with a Kenwood amp that puts out aprox 600wrms at 2 ohms. I built is very small because the car it went in was a Chevy Aveo, not much room in the back plus the car doesn't have much HP. We couldn't believe how great it sounds-WOW. But the Diamond woofers I have are much more powerfull. I did Over-insulate the enclosure being that it was sealed, this makes the woofer react as if it was in a larger enclosure.

Thankyou for any good ideas or opinions.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
If I understand you correctly you are looking for a woofer to put in a 1.5 cuf sealed box? If so check out Sound Solutions Audio Icon 12". Optimal on that guy is 1.35 and the sub displaces .16cu for a total gross of 1.51 cuf. Subs wrms is 1000w.

If you check out one of my posts you can see my set up. I am running my amp bridged at about 400 - 500wrms at 4ohms (2ohm dvc in series) without issue on that sub. Also they have an Xcon line which I believe is even beefier.

Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartii View Post
If I understand you correctly you are looking for a woofer to put in a 1.5 cuf sealed box? If so check out Sound Solutions Audio Icon 12". Optimal on that guy is 1.35 and the sub displaces .16cu for a total gross of 1.51 cuf. Subs wrms is 1000w.

If you check out one of my posts you can see my set up. I am running my amp bridged at about 400 - 500wrms at 4ohms (2ohm dvc in series) without issue on that sub. Also they have an Xcon line which I believe is even beefier.

Cheers
K
Thanks for the reply, please re-read it. I have everything I need.

Sorry, not trying to be rude.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
papacueball

Drives: 2010 Black 1LT
I was going to model the two subs vs. one sub in WinISD, but couldn't find T/S parameters. Any idea where they might be found?

edit: I found them. http://www.diamondaudio.com/manuals/...sheet-2008.pdf

They don't give the value for Le (inductance), and WinISD is giving me absurdly large box sizes for optimum. I'm not really sure how much that one spec would influence the model. Using your box size of 1.4 cubes, one sub will sound better, two will be louder and sound bloated.

If you wanted to try what some call an infinite baffle, which is simply sealing the trunk off from the interior of the car and mounting the subs where the pass through would be, those subs model very well in the volume of the camaro's trunk (11.4 cubic feet). They would play lower than one or both in the 1.4 cube box and not have the peak around 80 hz.

Last edited by papacueball; 06-05-2010 at 07:46 PM.
papacueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by papacueball View Post
I was going to model the two subs vs. one sub in WinISD, but couldn't find T/S parameters. Any idea where they might be found?

edit: I found them. http://www.diamondaudio.com/manuals/...sheet-2008.pdf

They don't give the value for Le (inductance), and WinISD is giving me absurdly large box sizes for optimum. I'm not really sure how much that one spec would influence the model. Using your box size of 1.4 cubes, one sub will sound better, two will be louder and sound bloated.

If you wanted to try what some call an infinite baffle, which is simply sealing the trunk off from the interior of the car and mounting the subs where the pass through would be, those subs model very well in the volume of the camaro's trunk (11.4 cubic feet). They would play lower than one or both in the 1.4 cube box and not have the peak around 80 hz.

Thanks thats cool. I do have the Thiel/small parameters, but I did decided to just use 1 woofer. I am building the box a little different due to using only 1 woofer. It will be very close to 1.5 cu.ft. internal, and the amp will run at 4 ohms and 500wrms. In my last car, an Acura TL, I was going to build a 4.0 cubic foot box with 2-4" flanged ports, but I tradded it in on my Camaro when I went to an open house at a nearby Chevy dealer, I had no intentions of tradding in my TL because I had just spent over $10k modding it. But the Camaro on the lot was EXACTLY how I wanted one. I couldn't believe it, like it was meant to be. Being the Camaro is so heavy I really wasn't going to install any subs until I saw the harness for tapping in on the Boston amp with the phono's and turn-on lead, its so darn easy with the battery in the trunk. I can build a box in an hour, and have it totally installed in 2 hours, I thought my harness would be here today via USPS, but it didn't arrive. I am kind of glad, because I didn't get the box build today like I wanted to. When I got up this morning, I looked at my spring/summer local Camaro meets and gatherings list, and remembered there was a meet in Deerfield, IL at a tire store, glad I went as there were many nice new Camaro's.

Thanks again for your efforts and ideas. I had a Bassbox program for my computor, but I can't find it. I have purchased alot from Parts Express.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Ah I gotcha, now I understand what you are asking. I would do the single enclosure with the one woofer.
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Yah I think it will be enough. I had 1 Diamond sub in a 2 cu.ft ported box in my TL and it cranked. But the 1.5 cu.ft sealed box I am building won't get as loud, but the bass will probably be even tighter. I just want a little more fullness of the BA syatem.

Thanks and have a Wonderful day