Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #1
2Fast4Mu
Nothing is True

Drives: Black 2014 2SS/RS
Left speaker audio disappearing

2014 SS here....

Ever since I bought the car I have had random speaker outages on ther left side. Frequently a small bump or something will cause the audio to drop.....and another one will cause it to return.......

Unfortunately this problem is fairly random. I cannot drive down the road and specifically hit bumps to create this effect. I'm not sure why. You would think it would be reproducible with these.

Twice I have taken my car to Chevrolet for them to look at it. The last time I took it, I had the mechanic right around with me for nearly 30 minutes while I look for every bump and pothole I can find to create the effect. I was unsuccessful.

Chevrolet tells me that unless they can Witness the problem they can do nothing about it. That's somewhat of a frustrating answer because it's pretty tough to create a situation for them to witness it. I suppose they could drive around the car 4 days themselves and maybe, possibly, hopefully reproduce the problem.

I understand that there are automotive hypochondriacs who want to make up problems they don't exist and get the mechanics to work on them. I understand that they really need to have proof of a problem in order to attack it. On the other hand, I know that I'm not crazy and I know that there is a speaker problem... Most likely a loose wire either in the door or behind the radio. I suspect either would be easy for them to check.

However, without being able to reproduce the effect on demand, my otherwise awesome local dealership seems uninterested and looking at the problem.

Does anyone have any advice? I am somewhat obsessed with music and audio books and having a speaker go out spontaneously, sometimes for 2 minutes, sometimes for 30 minutes, is especially annoying.

Thanks much in advance!
Old 06-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
Jose Luis

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro V6 Manual
Next time it happens, check if it is the source you are listening to. In other words it could be the songs or audio book only sending a signal to the right speakers. Play the same song/audio book again and see if it happens again. It may not be a speaker/stereo problem. However, based on how you described it, it could very well be a lose wire/crimp somewhere and that would be a headache to find. It might be easier to rewire that entire line to fix it. I understand why the dealer is hesitant to work on it. It is potentially a lot of work and they aren't sure that there is a problem. They would need proof before spending hours on it.
Jose Luis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, outage, radio, serial, speaker