Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
keeping headlights looking new

I have a 2SS/RS Camaro. Is the exterior of the headlights actually plastic or glass? I am considering getting some of this:
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-360-a...ar-polish.aspx

to help protect the finish on the headlights. I was wondering if any of you detailing gurus can shed light on my dim brain (my headlights aren't dim yet though), Thanks!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
I was wondering about this myself. I look at it everytime I wash it.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
I honestly don't think its nessasary because our headlight plastic is mostly covered by the front bumper itself. Most of the yellowing/oxidation of headlights comes from direct exposure to sun.

However it certainly can't hurt.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Jim D.

Drives: Camaro
You should use at least a wax when you wax your vehicle -- better yet, a plastic polish that offers UV protection.

I like Mothers PowerPlastic, which has UV protection, and they recommend you use it routinely to protect plastic lenses. I apply it by hand, and it takes just a couple minutes.

Think about it... your paint has a warranty as well, but you still wax it, right?
Jim D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I have a 2SS/RS Camaro. Is the exterior of the headlights actually plastic or glass? I am considering getting some of this:
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-360-a...ar-polish.aspx

to help protect the finish on the headlights. I was wondering if any of you detailing gurus can shed light on my dim brain (my headlights aren't dim yet though), Thanks!
I've seen you on Adam's form.... That is good stuff for plastic and the exterior of your headlight is plastic. BUT, when you wash the car, dry, you can use the Brilliant Spray Glaze and get the same effect. My .02
Old 02-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
I wouldn't put that stuff anywhere near my headlights on a new car. The yellowing you see comes after years of exposure to the elements. From the factory, the headlamp lens has a "cured" coating that protects them from scratches, as well as protecting them from UV rays.

The factory stuff will last for years. I don't know anything about what is in the Adam's stuff, but I can tell you it is not as good as what is already on there based on how frequently they tell you to apply it. Plus, the aftermarket stuff could hurt the effectiveness of the factory stuff.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
BUMBLE B

Drives: 99 Z28 CONV and 2010 SS
My 99 Z-28 had lense haze after 6 years. There was a hard protective layer of some plastic over the substrate polycarbonate plastic lens. polishing it removed this "protective" layer, leaving clear, BUT UNPROTECTED polycarbonate plastic. There is a strange spray coating that can be reapplied. It is some weird acrylic acid compound that I can't remember anymore. It did the trick for a few more years before it needed redoing. I suspect that they still use plastic, and it may be best to treat them like eye glasses....keep 'em clean and out of the sun. Car cataracts started showing up in the 1990's. just look at any old Dodge neon....they used the cheapest plastic lenses ever!!
BUMBLE B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Just need to remember two things, NEVER use anything abrasive on your headlights to clean or wax them. and ALWAYS wash the entire car with a mild soap approved for all car surfaces, plastic included. and rinse..rinse.. rinse, leave no residue... I have done this and I have never had one headlight to discolor.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMBLE B View Post
My 99 Z-28 had lense haze after 6 years. There was a hard protective layer of some plastic over the substrate polycarbonate plastic lens. polishing it removed this "protective" layer, leaving clear, BUT UNPROTECTED polycarbonate plastic. There is a strange spray coating that can be reapplied. It is some weird acrylic acid compound that I can't remember anymore. It did the trick for a few more years before it needed redoing. I suspect that they still use plastic, and it may be best to treat them like eye glasses....keep 'em clean and out of the sun. Car cataracts started showing up in the 1990's. just look at any old Dodge neon....they used the cheapest plastic lenses ever!!
To save a couple bucks per car, Chrysler used to skip putting the protective coating on the PC lenses. They coat them now, but the old Dodges and Chryslers look horrible now after years with no UV coating.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I have tint film on my front lens - all of them. I do wax that like I wax the rest of the car. I hope that would protect the lens - from scratches also...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
I wouldn't put that stuff anywhere near my headlights on a new car. The yellowing you see comes after years of exposure to the elements. From the factory, the headlamp lens has a "cured" coating that protects them from scratches, as well as protecting them from UV rays.

The factory stuff will last for years. I don't know anything about what is in the Adam's stuff, but I can tell you it is not as good as what is already on there based on how frequently they tell you to apply it. Plus, the aftermarket stuff could hurt the effectiveness of the factory stuff.

-Geoff
Can you point me to the information that states this for a fact? I have never heard of such a thing re headlights, especially for a domestic vehicle. If that is the case, kudos to GM!

For the record, a simple coat of wax will never hurt a headlight lens, ever. Now, an abrasive polish, that is another story.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 BAD RS 2 SS View Post
im going to lowes and getting a roll of static cling tint and protect mine that way when thy look bad cut out new ones and all done . even trying it on the side markers and tail lites . hope it works and helps
Unless it is specifically formulated to protect against U.V. rays, it is not going to help as much and considering the loss of night driving clarity, not worth it.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
cschmidt1956

Drives: Too Little time to drive....
Honestly, I use Rain-X on the headlight surfaces to help shed water off of them. Seems to work well and the dirt does not seem to stick as much. A quick blast while washing seems to wash away most of the grit before my wash mit even touches them.
cschmidt1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Thanks to everyone for the info!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote