Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #15
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGeoffGuy View Post
I wouldn't put that stuff anywhere near my headlights on a new car. The yellowing you see comes after years of exposure to the elements. From the factory, the headlamp lens has a "cured" coating that protects them from scratches, as well as protecting them from UV rays.

The factory stuff will last for years. I don't know anything about what is in the Adam's stuff, but I can tell you it is not as good as what is already on there based on how frequently they tell you to apply it. Plus, the aftermarket stuff could hurt the effectiveness of the factory stuff.

-Geoff
You tell me what this factory "stuff" is and I'll look into it. The clear polish the OP is referring to is a UV blocker that contains nothing harsh or abrasive. Again, it is a polish...and a UV blocker.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #16
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
I had the best quality Clear Bra put on my headlights and foglights. After 21,000 miles it is still crystal clear. Clear bra also protects from the harmful UV rays, as well as bugs, rock chips, salt, etc.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #17
Mustang Killa

Drives: Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I have a 2SS/RS Camaro. Is the exterior of the headlights actually plastic or glass? I am considering getting some of this:
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-360-a...ar-polish.aspx

to help protect the finish on the headlights. I was wondering if any of you detailing gurus can shed light on my dim brain (my headlights aren't dim yet though), Thanks!
ghost armor
Mustang Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:31 AM   #18
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
I had the best quality Clear Bra put on my headlights and foglights. After 21,000 miles it is still crystal clear. Clear bra also protects from the harmful UV rays, as well as bugs, rock chips, salt, etc.
Are you referring to the company Clearbra? They say it won't fade, yellow or peel but doesn't mention UV protection specifically....
Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #19
HeadlightArmor

Drives: Company Car
Post or use a Headlight Armor Clear Lighting Protection kit

If you want to keep the headlights clean and clear I would use our Clear Headlight Protection kit and regularly clean and condition them with a vinyl / plastic conditioner. While the headlights may not get much sun being semi tucked under the lip of the hood, they are going to get pitted from sand if you don't do anything to protect them. A coat of wax is not going to protect against pitting. Just a thought.
HeadlightArmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #20
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Sorry about the delay, here is the link. Also, this is NOT something that a normal person can just put on their lamp. The film thickness required for this to work right is in the micron range. I think there are more suppliers than this, but this is one of the biggest.

http://www.redspot.com/UVcurable_auto.aspx

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote