Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #71
gappman

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
My baby had the same damage, found it earlier this week after a car wash. made me sick. Took her to the dealer, have an appointment to drop her off on Monday to get fixed. The dealer did not say anything about seeing this before but he was not surpised at all when he saw it and agreed instantly to correct it under full warrantee, I hope so, the car is only 5 months old!!!
Yeah, mine is only 5 months old as well. I wish I could have known about this earlier so I could have prevented it. I'm worried that the paint texture won't match up when they do fix it.:(
gappman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #72
gappman

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Also, who reports this to GM so a recall or bulletin can be published? How many have to be affected?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #73
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
I had mine touched up at the dealer body shop about 5 weeks ago, and it's now coming back again, after they put shims under the spoiler too.

No doubt have to take it back in to have it redone some time in the future.
Built: 11/18/22
VIN received: 11/19/22
On a Train: 02/27/23
ETA: TBD

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #74
Sc0rPs

Drives: 2010 2LT / RS - 2013 ZL1
Since mine is black it makes it an easy choice to repaint the trunk. I did post before but to note I inspected a few Camaros on the lot and a few already had chips from the spoiler.
Sc0rPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:07 AM   #75
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Same here, was getting an oil change today and went to check out the HUD on the 11's and out of the 9 camaros on the lot 6 had chips under the spoiler and one synergy green had an obvious repaint on the spoiler that looked horrorable. Should be interesting when they tell me I'm the first person they've seen with this issue.
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:32 AM   #76
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Happened to me too, not very happy. So my options are as follows..

1) Have the whole trunk painted and then worry about if the metal flake matches up with the factory orange peel (which it probably won't) and reinstall the stripes, hoping they go on without any issues

or

2) Have them touch up, wetsand, reclear and polish

Decisions...decisions...

I'd go #1.

The only way to fix it right is to paint the entire decklid. Replace the stripes and SS emblem.

The good news is the trunk stripes are the easiest to put on. I did my stripes myself, and the trunk is a piece of cake.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #77
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gappman View Post
I went to the dealer today and of course I was the first case of this they've seen. They told me to hold off for 30 days to see if GM is coming out with a fix for it. I doubt there will be a bulletin from GM within the next 30 days. I'm not worried though, they said they'd fix it up and have me on my way.
Go back and tell him to fix your car. I took mine in and had it back 3 days later. Paid for rental and all.... They will all claim it is the first they have seen.. Print the 10 pages of pictures and posts at C5 and hand it to him..... My service receipt read "loose spoiler".
x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #78
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I'd go #1.

The only way to fix it right is to paint the entire decklid. Replace the stripes and SS emblem.

The good news is the trunk stripes are the easiest to put on. I did my stripes myself, and the trunk is a piece of cake.
It's just sad that this is happening because of how picky I am with the car. I'm not a painter but what I worry about is how well the metal flake will match up with the other panels on either side. It bothers me to no end (as I'm sure it does with others) that I have to get a part of my car repainted when it's only 3 months old.

Say they paint it and you're not happy with the work that was done. What are our options?

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #79
Duane Casselman

Drives: SS RS Rally Yellow
My 6 washers were starting to show a little ware and tear so I replaced them with a better washer and brought the spoiler up about 1/8 of an inch. I did not have any scratches on my trunk.
Duane Casselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #80
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
I know this may sound weird. So please indulge my questions to give some food for thought.

1. Are the chips/paint flaking happening where you place your hand to close the trunk lid?
2. Do you close your trunk with a lot of force which could increase the amount of pressure on the previously mentioned locations where your hands are when closing your trunk lid?

I have just over 7.000 miles on my car. Owned 15 months now. I had the loose nut issues with my spoiler.

However, I can't find any paint issues such as these.

The reason I asked these questions is because, I am very finicky about my car. I close my trunk very gently and with just enough force for it to latch shut. I barely touch the spoiler or trunk lid. With the type paint, sheet metal, and plastics used, they may well be a lot more sensitive to who the lid is closed.

Some food for thought.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #81
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
I took my car in today to address the issue and I must say they were completely understanding about the issue. Marine Chevrolet in Jacksonville, NC is the dealer that I went to. I spoke to one of the Sales Rep there and immediately he took me back to the Body Shop and I spoke to a gentleman there. He already knew about the issue because an IOM Camaro had the same issue. Its completely covered under warranty! They would have to re-paint the entire trunk and of course get a new rear bowtie and rear SS emblem for the trunk. No worries there!

I even asked them if they wouldn't mind installing an aftermarket spoiler in its place and they said sure. They will even warranty the paint if I bring it up "Lifetime". So needless to say I ordered the Havoc Spoiler and once it comes in, I'll be taking the spoiler and the car up to the dealer to have it installed.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #82
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
I know this may sound weird. So please indulge my questions to give some food for thought.

1. Are the chips/paint flaking happening where you place your hand to close the trunk lid?
2. Do you close your trunk with a lot of force which could increase the amount of pressure on the previously mentioned locations where your hands are when closing your trunk lid?

I have just over 7.000 miles on my car. Owned 15 months now. I had the loose nut issues with my spoiler.

The reason I asked these questions is because, I am very finicky about my car. I close my trunk very gently and with just enough force for it to latch shut. I barely touch the spoiler or trunk lid. With the type paint, sheet metal, and plastics used, they may well be a lot more sensitive to who the lid is closed.

Some food for thought.
1. No.
2. No.

So, no that's not the cause. I close my trunk ONLY with the emblem and never with force. The problem is and has been confirmed to be, the washers underneath by various members of the forums here. Replacing them has removed the problem. Unfortunately I was too late on it to not get the problem.

I'm going to schedule a painting next week. Then I'm going to ask them to replace the washers, or I'll do it myself.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #83
ssummit camaro

Drives: 2013 1LE on order TPW 12/31
this is what i was thinking also, on my 4th gen ss i used to slowly close the hatch to. never closing it hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post

Some food for thought.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #84
CaliMattRS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Manual
So two nights ago I checked my spoiler (2011 model, build date may, had it for 2 months) and I had the scratched paint.

This afternoon I look at it again, and I can barely see it (only because I know what to look for). When I checked it night at least 1/8 of the paint below the spoiler was trashed, now that 1/8 is missing.

I have a theory that the reason the spoilers rub is due to the expanding and contracting of the plastic/metal. Anyone else agree with this?

By the way, to all new Camaro owners, buy extra washers and fix your spoilers BEFORE you see an issue, since it WILL happen.

And GM, please fix!
CaliMattRS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chip, chips, paint, spoiler, spoiler chips