Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #225
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OV3RDRIV3 View Post
Back to looking at the DBA 5000's I guess :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
dba are heavier and dont deal with heat as well as oem. let alone compared to racingbrake
This. RacingBrake and DBA are on two different levels. Kind of like comparing a Mustang GT to Corvette ZR1.

Quote:
so i had a crazy week and onl rebuilt my front calipers using the racingrake rebuild kit. brakes were even cooler than my last review of of the rotors. I was running a very agressive track pad and still cooler temps kn a 102 degree day. zero brake fade again. the pistons in the rebuild kit are better designed and the oil seal and dust boots are sturdier and an upgrade as well. i recommend the rebuild kit to any track guys using stock calipers...could feel a difference. install was easy as pie.

will take pics and write a full review once i do the rears as well.
Looking forward to reading it.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #226
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
This. RacingBrake and DBA are on two different levels. Kind of like comparing a Mustang GT to Corvette ZR1.

Looking forward to reading it.

Pretty much yea. I'd even say its like the V6 mustang to a ZR1
Old 06-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #227
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Pretty much yea. I'd even say its like the V6 mustang to a ZR1
hahaha yeaaaaah rb rotors are the shit. 2 piece, light as heck, and have patents to deal with heat.

dba is sand casted i believe then drilled which weakens the metal...weakend metal on brakes is a nono
Old 06-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #228
OV3RDRIV3

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
hahaha yeaaaaah rb rotors are the shit. 2 piece, light as heck, and have patents to deal with heat.

dba is sand casted i believe then drilled which weakens the metal...weakend metal on brakes is a nono
You guys are killing me!!! I want RB's so bad. Maybe ill just save up and do it right the first time instead of regretting going with less expensive rotors later. Will RB's be overkill with the stock SS brembos all around plus stainless lines and ferodo DS 2500 pads? Or does that sound like and ok setup. Don't want another part of the system to be the rate limiting step if I shell out for racing brake rotors if ya know what I mean. I know 6 piston calipers on the front would be better but prefer to save money somewhere. My RS is nice but it's still only a V6 if ya know what I mean
OV3RDRIV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #229
SPCBA

Quote:
You guys are killing me!!! I want RB's so bad. Maybe ill just save up and do it right the first time instead of regretting going with less expensive rotors later. Will RB's be overkill with the stock SS brembos all around plus stainless lines and ferodo DS 2500 pads? Or does that sound like and ok setup. Don't want another part of the system to be the rate limiting step if I shell out for racing brake rotors if ya know what I mean. I know 6 piston calipers on the front would be better but prefer to save money somewhere. My RS is nice but it's still only a V6 if ya know what I mean
i use cheapo pads for the street and highly aggressive track pads for the track. to answer you question no it doesnt sound to much...tho i have no knowldge of that particular pad. the rb rotor is great for street show and track. the ss calipers are great for street and show and are pretty good for the track.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #230
OV3RDRIV3

Quote:
i use cheapo pads for the street and highly aggressive track pads for the track. to answer you question no it doesnt sound to much...tho i have no knowldge of that particular pad. the rb rotor is great for street show and track. the ss calipers are great for street and show and are pretty good for the track.
Cool!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #231
OV3RDRIV3

Quote:
dba are heavier and dont deal with heat as well as oem. let alone compared to racingbrake
Are you referring to the 5000 series T3 slotted two piece DBA rotors or just DBA rotors in general? Would think DBA's two piece series would be lighter than OEM and if they are just slotted and not drilled, would also be pretty strong.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #232
OV3RDRIV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
If you're planning on doing any kind of performance driving I highly recommend you save up for at least a front set of RB rotors; they're that good.
Thanks Doc! My concern is that I won't like the look of an unmatched set of rotors if I go with RB's on the front and some other brand on the back... Thoughts?!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #233
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Thanks Doc! My concern is that I won't like the look of an unmatched set of rotors if I go with RB's on the front and some other brand on the back... Thoughts?!
It's a preference thing. Like for myself, I wouldn't be ok with just having RB's upfront - so I saved up until I could buy all four. But if that doesn't bother you then I say go for it.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #234
SPCBA

Quote:
Are you referring to the 5000 series T3 slotted two piece DBA rotors or just DBA rotors in general? Would think DBA's two piece series would be lighter than OEM and if they are just slotted and not drilled, would also be pretty strong.
still sand casted then drilled a slot to my knowledge
Old 06-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #235
OV3RDRIV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
It's a preference thing. Like for myself, I wouldn't be ok with just having RB's upfront - so I saved up until I could buy all four. But if that doesn't bother you then I say go for it.
Agree. My problem is that I am switching from a V6 setup to a V8 SS setup. Hence it's not just the rotors I need to save for if I switch front and rears out at once. I would also have to buy the front and rear calipers and pads as well. Can't use the old stockies from the V6 for a while due to the increased rotor size :/ Oh well. I've narrowed it down I think to RB's all the way around vs. Two-Piece Slotted 5000 T3 ClubSpec's in the front with One-Piece Slotted DBA 4000 T3 ClubSpec's in the rear. Getting closer me thinks. Just bought new rubber which will be installed this Saturday and was thinking about doing the rear brake overhaul at the same time with SS lines. Should I install the front SS lines when I do the rear overhaul even if I leave the stock V6 brake system alone in the front?
Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #236
OV3RDRIV3

This came off of RB website. May not want to use the Ferodo pads after all if I go with RB rotors...

Since the disc material is has a higher hardness level than OE or other manufacturers' rotors, the same racing pads (brands such as Carbotech or Ferodo) that may have worked great on your original rotors may not work well on RB rotors. These pads, commonly used by weekend racers, are affordable but are often not aggressive enough to be used with RB rotors. Using these types of pads on RB rotors may result in pad deposit at high temperatures, and/or an unsatisfactory "bite" on the rotor at low temperatures.

The opposite issue occurs if a pad is too aggressive for its rotor, for instance, using track pads on an OE rotor. The abrasiveness of the pad will wear down the rotor very quickly. This is why it is critical to make sure that the pads and rotors that you use are compatible with each other.

For optimal performance and safety, be sure to use true racing pads in conjuntion with RB rotors: brands like Mintex, Raybestos, (Porterfield), Cobalt or Pagid. Racing Brake have worked closely with Hawk to develop rotors that are compatible with these pads. True racing pads are able to handle high temperatures without the concern of pad deposit. Any use of noncompatible pads is at your own risk.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #237
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Agree. My problem is that I am switching from a V6 setup to a V8 SS setup. Hence it's not just the rotors I need to save for if I switch front and rears out at once. I would also have to buy the front and rear calipers and pads as well. Can't use the old stockies from the V6 for a while due to the increased rotor size :/ Oh well. I've narrowed it down I think to RB's all the way around vs. Two-Piece Slotted 5000 T3 ClubSpec's in the front with One-Piece Slotted DBA 4000 T3 ClubSpec's in the rear. Getting closer me thinks. Just bought new rubber which will be installed this Saturday and was thinking about doing the rear brake overhaul at the same time with SS lines. Should I install the front SS lines when I do the rear overhaul even if I leave the stock V6 brake system alone in the front?
Maybe you would just want to get RB's front and rear setup? Give you the rotors and calipers and pads and lines all in one package.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #238
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
If you can afford it upgrade to SS Brembo calipers, RB rotors, one of their street pads, and stainless brake lines. That will give you terrific stopping power on the street, improves acceleration, stopping and cornering, and they look great on the car.

They're not cheap but they cover several areas of improvement in performance which 3rd-party cast-iron rotors that are just drilled do not.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote