Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
Kodis16

Drives: Red 2010 camaro 2ss
Rear end help

Im having trouble picking between what to do for my rear end for spring and im looking for some help on picking which one to get. Before winter I broke something in my rear end (not sure what it is yet because haven't went inside the rear end) but its a loud popping sound coming from the rear end. With that being said its not drivable but I can't fix it because I'm all caught up between decisions. I'm trying to list my options and correct me if I'm wrong because I'm no expert I believe the options would be to get a custom fab did caseing and get a spool and axle solid rear end. Also I've been hearing a lot about the 9 in rear ends or also I'm not sure if this will work but also just to fix the problem get gears and axles and be done with it.
My situation is hat it's not my daily driver more off nice day/weekend kind of car/ I'm at about 450 to the wheels and still going I got to the track a couple times a year so it's not my everyday driver and I am looking to make faster at the track mainly so any input will help! Thanks
Kodis16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
have you checked to make sure its not a broken axle. if not we can help with a 9" kit PM me some info like gear ratio and sorts and ill get a quote. we have them in stock....

we also have a Hammerhead with 3:50 gear and Wavetrac and also a Dana 60 with S track.....
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
kpwalls06
Cory

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6;
Well what you need to do for a fix depends on what's broken. If it's an axle, you could just replace those with a stronger set from DSS or GForce. If it's something in the diff itself, you could replace it with stock, but I always say build it back stronger than it was. At your power level, you don't "need" a 9" diff, but it would be just about bullet-proof at that point. Like DSS said, there are also Hammerhead Kits and Dana 60 kits available. I don't know the exact differences between all three, but I know the Dana 60 is able to bolt up to the stock driveshaft and axles if you want to/can keep those.

I'd say first thing is to figure out what exactly is broken and needs to be fixed, then decide how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go with the repairs. At that point it's best to contact a reputable vendor/shop for options and opinions.

I personally opted for a Dana 60 kit about two weeks ago, along with DSS one-piece driveshaft and 1000hp axles to upgrade my car. Talked to DSS for a little bit about rear-end options, and they were awesome, patient, and polite in answering all my questions and explaining all the options. They suggested Matt @ FSP as a vendor, and I picked it all up through him for a good price, no hassle, and fast service. I'd recommend either of them for help here.
kpwalls06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
Mr. Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Rally Yellow & 68 SS
Are you A6 or m6 ??
AS OF 1/29/16 @ 633 RWHP=10.10@136
TOPED 700 PASSES AFTER F.I. AND STILL ON THE ORIGIANAL STOCK AXLE & DIFF
Mr. Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Find out what's broke first.....then figure out what your budget is. Lot's of good options available now, but need to know those two variables first!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
I agree, take a look at what's broke first, might save yourself a bunch of money if it's something simple.
If you'd like, give me a call tomorrow and I can talk over all the options as far as our 9" IRS or a Strange S-60.
The Strange S-60 will NOT bolt in using the stock driveshaft or axles, it requires aftermarket axles and driveshaft no matter who sells it.
I believe our 9" IRS kit is the best priced option out there so give me a call if you want and I'll go over all the features it has over everything else on the market.

Thanks
Chris
GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
kpwalls06
Cory

Now that you say that, GForce, I remember hearing the driveshaft was a different length; but I'm almost positive I was told that stock axles would bolt directly to the new stubs in the Dana 60 rear. If that's wrong or I misunderstood what I was hearing, then thank you for the correction.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpwalls06 View Post
Now that you say that, GForce, I remember hearing the driveshaft was a different length; but I'm almost positive I was told that stock axles would bolt directly to the new stubs in the Dana 60 rear. If that's wrong or I misunderstood what I was hearing, then thank you for the correction.
Yep, stock axles will not bolt up to the S-60. The stock axles don't come apart like an aftermarket axle and that is what is required to bolt the cv joints to the axle stub flanges in the S-60.
GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Kodis16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nasty View Post
Are you A6 or m6 ??
M6
Old 12-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
Mr. Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Rally Yellow & 68 SS
Yeah the M6 is hard on axles and diff. Am auto I have well over 200 passes on the stock rear.
AS OF 1/29/16 @ 633 RWHP=10.10@136
TOPED 700 PASSES AFTER F.I. AND STILL ON THE ORIGIANAL STOCK AXLE & DIFF
Mr. Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
kpwalls06
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE1320 View Post
Yep, stock axles will not bolt up to the S-60. The stock axles don't come apart like an aftermarket axle and that is what is required to bolt the cv joints to the axle stub flanges in the S-60.
I gotcha now, turns out I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification, always nice to learn from those that know more!

@ OP, I'm an M6 as well, and it can be hard on the drivetrain of the car. Another thing to consider would be suspension mods that will help counter wheel hop, which can cause you to break things in the drivetrain. Suspension mods alone may not be a fix, but it they can provide support to the mods you make in your drivetrain.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #12
Kodis16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
have you checked to make sure its not a broken axle. if not we can help with a 9" kit PM me some info like gear ratio and sorts and ill get a quote. we have them in stock....

we also have a Hammerhead with 3:50 gear and Wavetrac and also a Dana 60 with S track.....

it is not a broken axle i checked and im not sure what it is because i crawled under my car and turned the wheels and every time the wheel came around a t\loud thump would come outa the diff and ive already previously broken almost everything back there my driveshaft, axle, output shaft, and now this so pretty much i wanted to build the whole setup now so i dont have to worry about it breaking everytime i go to the track and also its onl;y dynod at 448 right now and all that stuff already broke and m plan is to keep building so in my mind right now i just dont know what kind of set up i really want but i want the whole thing built.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #13
Kodis16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpwalls06 View Post
I gotcha now, turns out I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification, always nice to learn from those that know more!

@ OP, I'm an M6 as well, and it can be hard on the drivetrain of the car. Another thing to consider would be suspension mods that will help counter wheel hop, which can cause you to break things in the drivetrain. Suspension mods alone may not be a fix, but it they can provide support to the mods you make in your drivetrain.
Yes I know I have coilovers And just got trail arms but if you read the other post I posted above I also broke majority of the main things back there in which why I just want to build it and that's why I am wondering which option everyone thinks would be the best option
Old 01-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
STSL
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 ZR1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodis16 View Post
Yes I know I have coilovers And just got trail arms but if you read the other post I posted above I also broke majority of the main things back there in which why I just want to build it and that's why I am wondering which option everyone thinks would be the best option
A sixspeed is really ruff on drivetrain..I would look at the fastest 5th gens on the forum and see what they use
STSL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
9 inch, axle, break, end, rear